By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 23 45.10%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 28 54.90%

Total:51

The OpenAI stuff is wild, I've not seen anything quite like it, not related to Xbox at all but still it's crazy.

• Microsoft has invested billions into OpenAI and own 49% but OpenAI is a non-profit so Microsoft keeps all their profits.
  • However, a large chunk of those billions in investment isn't cash, it's in Azure credits.
  • OpenAI runs on Azure and Microsoft has exclusive rights to it.
  • OpenAI's valuation was around $86bn and it being non-profit complicates things for Microsoft.
  • The OpenAI board fires Sam (CEO) but doesn't give anyone a heads up or explain why.
  • Apparently Ilya Sutskever (Chief Scientist) was partly responsible for Sam's firing.
  • Greg Brockman also leaves OpenAI with Sam, a large chunk threaten to leave.
  • Microsoft tries to get Sam back on as CEO by making the Board resign.
  • The Board refuses.
  • Sam and Greg join Microsoft under a new AI division with Sam as CEO.
  • Ilya Sutskever apologises?! For his role in Sam's firing.
  • 505/700 OpenAI employees are now telling the Board to resign and reappoint Sam or they will quit and join Microsoft.
  • Ilya signed the letter too! For the board to resign, the board that he is on!

Microsoft was in a bit of a bind on Friday, their stock took a hit on the news but Satya has played a bit of a blinder over the weekend and made the best of a bad situation. Creating an entire new division over the weekend and they may end up essentially absorbing OpenAI (a non-profit) without even having to acquire them and therefore can accelerate plans...At this rate though, I wouldn't be surprised if OpenAI just sell to Microsoft.

Like I said, it's not Xbox related, only Microsoft, but it's absolutely fucking wild, Lol. We still don't even know why Sam was fired but this whole shit feels like a TV Show, Lmao. It does feel like Microsoft is set up to win big out of this shitshow though, their stock dipped on Friday and would have collapsed further on Monday but Satya's moves have stabilised things and may end up with Microsoft having the entire OpenAI team.

The end result may be Microsoft owning OpenAI one way or another, without having to pay a massive amount.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 November 2023

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

The OpenAI stuff is wild, I've not seen anything quite like it, not related to Xbox at all but still it's crazy.

• Microsoft has invested billions into OpenAI and own 49% but OpenAI is a non-profit so Microsoft keeps all their profits.
  • However, a large chunk of those billions in investment isn't cash, it's in Azure credits.
  • OpenAI's valuation was around $86bn and it being non-profit complicates things for Microsoft.
  • The OpenAI board fires Sam (CEO) but doesn't give anyone a heads up or explain why.
  • Apparently Ilya Sutskever (Chief Scientist) was partly responsible for Sam's firing.
  • The Board refuses.
  • 505/700 OpenAI employees are now telling the Board to resign and reappoint Sam or they will quit and join Microsoft.

Microsoft was in a bit of a bind on Friday, their stock took a hit on the news but Satya has played a bit of a blinder over the weekend and made the best of a bad situation. Creating an entire new division over the weekend and they may end up essentially absorbing OpenAI (a non-profit) without even having to acquire them and therefore can accelerate plans...At this rate though, I wouldn't be surprised if OpenAI just sell to Microsoft.

Like I said, it's not Xbox related, only Microsoft, but it's absolutely fucking wild, Lol. We still don't even know why Sam was fired but this whole shit feels like a TV Show, Lmao. It does feel like Microsoft is set up to win big out of this shitshow though, their stock dipped on Friday and would have collapsed further on Monday but Satya's moves have stabilised things and may end up with Microsoft having the entire OpenAI team.

The end result may be Microsoft owning OpenAI one way or another, without having to pay a massive amount.

Yeah, I saw this news over the weekend, couldn't follow the todays news until now. All this stuff is wild, it is seriously like a TV-show about corporate scheming. Four of the six people on the board meet secretely, make a backroom deal to fire the other two, tell them in 15 mins video conferences, tell MS as most important financier *minutes* before the public, surprise the employees (yeah, look that they asked if this is a coup - multiple times), are surprised by the backlash (resignations of key personell the same day already and more threaten to resign shortly after). This all is better than cinema, I'll tell you. And about a technology that seriously has shown it's disruptive potential and will shape our society in the next years.

EDIT: Oh, it get's better every time I read something. I didn't even know that Mira Murati, who was named interim CEO on friday, has already lost the CEO-job again to former Twitch-CEO Emmett Shear. This is absolutely fucking wild.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 20 November 2023

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Ryuu96 said:

• The Board refuses.

Yeah, I saw this news over the weekend, couldn't follow the todays news until now. All this stuff is wild, it is seriously like a TV-show about corporate scheming. Four of the six people on the board meet secretely, make a backroom deal to fire the other two in 15 mins video conferences, tell MS as most important financier *minutes* before the public, surprise the employees (yeah, look that they asked if this is a coup - multiple times), are surprised by the backlash (resignations of key personell the same day already and more threaten to resign shortly after). This all is better than cinema, I'll tell you. And about a technology that seriously has shown it's disruptive potential and will shape our society in the next years.

EDIT: Oh, it get's better every time I read something. I didn't even know that Mira Murati, who was named interim CEO on friday, has already lost the CEO-job again to former Twitch-CEO Emmett Shear. This is absolutely fucking wild.

Did they fire two? I thought only Sam was fired and Greg voluntarily resigned in support.

What's funnier is their interim CEO (Mira) also backed Sam returning as CEO with Satya's support but the Board refused, now Mira is being replaced by Emmett as you said. It's also wild that Ilya who is a Board member reportedly backed firing Sam in the first place but now Ilya is supporting a letter to re-hire Sam and for the Board to resign, what?!

If you weren't following this from the start, you'd almost be forgiven for believing this was some 5D chess move by Microsoft to finally move OpenAI away from non-profit and establish complete control over it, Lol. I don't believe that because Microsoft was for sure caught off guard at the start but they've really managed to make this situation benefit them.

JFC...This board has to be done for and Sam returns, otherwise this entire company is going to Microsoft without Microsoft having to buy them, Lol.

Around the Network

I don't think it would be too hard for Microsoft to "restart" either, OpenAI is ran off Azure anyway, any new AI they build already has the infrastructure ready, most AIs are just scrapping shit off the web too, not hard for Microsoft to replicate with a new AI, the big win is the brains behind the operation and Microsoft looks to get them all at this rate, one of the biggest brain drains in recent history, all going to Microsoft, if the Board doesn't reverse course and if they do reverse course, I imagine Microsoft will put people on OpenAI's board this time around, all this without paying billions to acquire.

Against the Storm - PC Game Pass Announcement Trailer - YouTube

Against the Storm is coming to PC Game Pass on December 8th!

I also got the powerwash BTTF dlc and it is way to short for my liking would like some big expansions.

Maybe should give that spirit tea game a go..

Ryuu96 said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, I saw this news over the weekend, couldn't follow the todays news until now. All this stuff is wild, it is seriously like a TV-show about corporate scheming. Four of the six people on the board meet secretely, make a backroom deal to fire the other two in 15 mins video conferences, tell MS as most important financier *minutes* before the public, surprise the employees (yeah, look that they asked if this is a coup - multiple times), are surprised by the backlash (resignations of key personell the same day already and more threaten to resign shortly after). This all is better than cinema, I'll tell you. And about a technology that seriously has shown it's disruptive potential and will shape our society in the next years.

Did they fire two? I thought only Sam was fired and Greg voluntarily resigned in support.

What's funnier is their interim CEO (Mira) also backed Sam returning as CEO with Satya's support but the Board refused, now Mira is being replaced by Emmett as you said. It's also wild that Ilya who is a Board member reportedly backed firing Sam in the first place but now Ilya is supporting a letter to re-hire Sam and for the Board to resign, what?!

If you weren't following this from the start, you'd almost be forgiven for believing this was some 5D chess move by Microsoft to finally move OpenAI away from non-profit and establish complete control over it, Lol. I don't believe that because Microsoft was for sure caught off guard at the start but they've really managed to make this situation benefit them.

JFC...This board has to be done for and Sam returns, otherwise this entire company is going to Microsoft without Microsoft having to buy them, Lol.

Well, the board removed Greg Brockman from the board, but asked him to stay on his other roles. Something which is reflected in the original blog post from friday, in which they announce more restructuring with Greg going away from the board but staying in the company and reporting to the new CEO. But that blog post was written without involving Greg and he said nah, if you remove me from the board and fire Sam, I'm outta here. He laid the events out here:

Also about Microsoft: this has gone well for MS. They were surprised by the movement of AI, but acted quickly with the strong partnership with OpenAI. But they were dependent and it was obvious by their research papers, that they were trying to advance Open Source models further, so that they could become independent of OpenAI.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Ryuu96 said:

I don't think it would be too hard for Microsoft to "restart" either, OpenAI is ran off Azure anyway, any new AI they build already has the infrastructure ready, most AIs are just scrapping shit off the web too, not hard for Microsoft to replicate with a new AI, the big win is the brains behind the operation and Microsoft looks to get them all at this rate, one of the biggest brain drains in recent history, all going to Microsoft, if the Board doesn't reverse course and if they do reverse course, I imagine Microsoft will put people on OpenAI's board this time around, all this without paying billions to acquire.

The reality is, that nobody is really crazy far away technologically. OpenAIs advantage over others can be measured in months at best. Even Open Source models are not too far behind. That's why to keep technology leadership OpenAI had to quickly add new services, ideas, integrations. This disruption easily will cost them the leadership and if MS can poach a lot of former OpenAI-people, they will be in a good position.