By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anybody see this Nintendomination coming?

The PSP only has a third of the hardware handlheld market. The software side is considerably more lopsided.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
krik said:
As far as I can see, there is no Nintendomination.

Nintendo used to have 100% of the handheld market, now they lost 1/3 of that business to Sony's PSP.

Nintendo Wii is doing pretty good on the living room consoles market with close to 45% but it's nowhere close to what the PS2 did/is still doing.

Also, Wii's lifetime is most likely going to be shorter than 360 and PS3 due to it's non-HD characteristics so Nintendo will have to migrate a lot of "casual" users into a new console. It will not be an easy task for Nintendo.

They never had 100% of the market, like it or not you have to count the game gear, N-gage, etc, even though its a small % its still not 100% for Nintendo, even so they lost nothing to PSP cause % of sales =/= their business, in fact its only grown.

You have no backing to say they couldn't do a system update to use external HD (which is MUCH cheaper then 360/PS3 HD) or at the very least update to read off of the SD card. Even then it is selling better then PS2 did and the PS2 had a year's head start, you really need to look up the information you're saying before you say it because it's all flat out wrong no matter how you look at it. Being a Sony fan doesn't mean you can use your own made up facts.

First, HD= High Definition. I think you are confused. HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

Anyway, I will reply to your HD that really means HDD and nothing to do with my post.

Nintendo can do add an external HDD. Now being cheraper than the PS3's HD will never happen since PS3 uses standard, off the shelf, newegg.com cheap ass laptop harddrives. 360 on the other hand uses proprietary HD and they are expensive so Nintendo could probably beat that price.

Second, my actuall post was HD=High Definition. And sorry my dear Nintendo fanboy, it will never happen. Wii is not an HD console and will never be. Nintendo told us that long ago, don't you know?

Nintendo Wii is not capable of doing either 720p or 1080i/p. I will say it again, even 720p is not possible on the Wii.

Let me explain why:

Wii has 3Mb memory for both framebuffer and texture memory. That is pretty weak by today's standards. 3Mb is ok for a 480p frame buffer (uses about 1.3Mb) but it's not enough for a 720p frame buffer. A 720p frame buffer requires 3.6Mb of memory. So my friend, nothing can change the fact the Wii is not an HD console and that fact in my opinion limits Wii's lifetime. Nintendo will have to make a Wii HD and convert all the casuals, not an easy task to do. Casuals don't upgrade their hardware that often...

I'm a fanboy, sure but what are you? How come you bring the n-gage as a GBA/DS competitor? DS is the first handhelp that has serious competition (from the PSP, not from the freaking n-gage). N-gage is more of a failed phone. Also GBA is still ahead of the DS with about 80M handhelds... how many did n-gage sell again?

Just one more thing, I did not use made up facts. I stated my opinion that's all. But now I was forced to reply to your hurt-Nintendo-fanboy post with some facts.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

I had faith in the DS. All my friends said the PSP would utterly destroy the DS, but I knew it Ninty would put up one hell of a fight to hold that market.

I was sorta unsure about the Wii but still thinking positive things about it. I still remember a post I read way on a forum way back when the 360 and PS3 were first announced. Everyone was talking about the epic war thats going to be between the 360 and the PS3. Then someone said this:
"You know, both consoles might not win... I mean, I can't help but wonder what Nintendo's up to. It's like watching two champion boxers get ready for a fight and all eyes are on them, but then the lights go out for a second and when they are back on both "champions" are knocked out on the floor. Nearby is a small guy leaning on the wall whistling the Mario theme song."

I laughed at the thought and did begin to wonder the possibility of Nintendo back on top.

lazyrider said:
@krik

Would tend to agree with you that Wii will have a shorter lifecycle (I do sense that it could just be riding high at the moment). The coming years will be very interesting to follow for the living room sonsoles market.

However, for the DS, the sheer volume of sales justifies the use of a term such as "domination" imo. But that's just me...

Yeah, but Nintendo's handheld domination is old news They actually lost some of their almost handheld monopoly to Sony's PSP.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

The DS did not come out like the wii and blow everthing away, it sold well at first, but the psp sold just as well and better in NA. It wasnt until the lite version came out that the ds became a monster.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

I saw it coming but it was John Lucas who famously posted about it. At the time I was one of the only people to agree with him 100% that not only would the Wii be successful, but that it'd blow MS/Sony out of the water.

krik said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
krik said:
As far as I can see, there is no Nintendomination.

Nintendo used to have 100% of the handheld market, now they lost 1/3 of that business to Sony's PSP.

Nintendo Wii is doing pretty good on the living room consoles market with close to 45% but it's nowhere close to what the PS2 did/is still doing.

Also, Wii's lifetime is most likely going to be shorter than 360 and PS3 due to it's non-HD characteristics so Nintendo will have to migrate a lot of "casual" users into a new console. It will not be an easy task for Nintendo.

They never had 100% of the market, like it or not you have to count the game gear, N-gage, etc, even though its a small % its still not 100% for Nintendo, even so they lost nothing to PSP cause % of sales =/= their business, in fact its only grown.

You have no backing to say they couldn't do a system update to use external HD (which is MUCH cheaper then 360/PS3 HD) or at the very least update to read off of the SD card. Even then it is selling better then PS2 did and the PS2 had a year's head start, you really need to look up the information you're saying before you say it because it's all flat out wrong no matter how you look at it. Being a Sony fan doesn't mean you can use your own made up facts.

First, HD= High Definition. I think you are confused. HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

Anyway, I will reply to your HD that really means HDD and nothing to do with my post.

Nintendo can do add an external HDD. Now being cheraper than the PS3's HD will never happen since PS3 uses standard, off the shelf, newegg.com cheap ass laptop harddrives. 360 on the other hand uses proprietary HD and they are expensive so Nintendo could probably beat that price.

Second, my actuall post was HD=High Definition. And sorry my dear Nintendo fanboy, it will never happen. Wii is not an HD console and will never be. Nintendo told us that long ago, don't you know?

Nintendo Wii is not capable of doing either 720p or 1080i/p. I will say it again, even 720p is not possible on the Wii.

Let me explain why:

Wii has 3Mb memory for both framebuffer and texture memory. That is pretty weak by today's standards. 3Mb is ok for a 480p frame buffer (uses about 1.3Mb) but it's not enough for a 720p frame buffer. A 720p frame buffer requires 3.6Mb of memory. So my friend, nothing can change the fact the Wii is not an HD console and that fact in my opinion limits Wii's lifetime. Nintendo will have to make a Wii HD and convert all the casuals, not an easy task to do. Casuals don't upgrade their hardware that often...

I'm a fanboy, sure but what are you? How come you bring the n-gage as a GBA/DS competitor? DS is the first handhelp that has serious competition (from the PSP, not from the freaking n-gage). N-gage is more of a failed phone. Also GBA is still ahead of the DS with about 80M handhelds... how many did n-gage sell again?

Just one more thing, I did not use made up facts. I stated my opinion that's all. But now I was forced to reply to your hurt-Nintendo-fanboy post with some facts.

Heh most people posting HD meaning Hard Drive.  Even the freaking PS2 had some HD games, it's not a big deal to do that with some Wii games, though HD isn't what's going to kill Wii and let 360 and PS3 live, HD tv sales are on the rise but still the average person doesn't own a HDTV even in the coming years it'll rise a lot but how many of those HDTV people are console gamers?  How is that fact going to kill a console?  Many of my friends own a 360, myself included at one point in time, none of us have a HDTV.  To be honest the games still look great on a SDTV thats a better point to make is the consoles power allows for great looking games even in SD, you're hitting a bigger crowd if you make that point, and therefore a more reasonable point to say PS3/360 > Wii.  So what proof do you have that games being in HD will give 360/PS3 lasting power over Wii, when every past console that had better sales had the weakest system (excluding the SNES), if you're saying most gamers go for power and graphics sales would say otherwise.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GBA&reg1=All&cons2=DS&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&weeks=400

GBA has 80 million in a much longer span of time and slowed down well before the same point in its life compared to DS, seriously look at the chart the rate of sales for DS is much greater then GBA, its market is growing even the DS was sold out at Christmas time before the end of the year it should surpass GBA in about half the time.  So to say PSP has 1/3 of Nintendo's business is 100% false if it completely stopped selling tomorrow you could say it stole 1/8 of Nintendo's business.  

And N-gage was marketed as a handheld with added cell phone functions built in, if it's a gaming machine it's in the market and therefore counts, thats about like saying Wii isn't in the same market as PS3/360, its crazy.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Rock_on_2008 said:

Nintendomination is bad for gaming in general. An even playing field would of been better. Imagine a HD Nintendo console with all your classics? You will have to wait until next generation for a HD Nintendo console plus motion control plus Hard Drive. No Hard Drive for the Nintendo Wii is probably the biggest issue the Wii faces.

BTW before visiting this site I had no idea about the success of the DS and the Wii. 

Actually the Wii is great for the gaming industry, too bad that there are loads of shallow minded fanboys that don't want to see that.

a) It brings loads of new people to gaming. People got to start somewhere. WiiSports today, Zelda tomorrow, Final Fantasy next week.
b) The Wii allows smaller companies that don't have the big budgets to shine. This brings a creative, fresh breeze into the gaming world.
c) Virtual Console allows me and many others to revisit the history of gaming without having to go on ebay or having to have 5 consoles attached to my TV.

OT: I never, ever had expected the current success of Wii. Since E3 2006 I've been very enthousiastic, thought it would sell better than GC, but at the same time I thought 3rd party devs wouldn't really do a lot for it because I thought PS3 would win hands down.

@ krik and MaxwellGT2000

I know I have zero authority to say this, but could you guys please take your discussion elsewhere? It's kind of a sidebar to the thread. Sorry for asking.

Back on topic, I actually never thought the DS would take off as it did, since I was sort of entrenched in the old "better graphics and more horsepower" idea. When I saw that it was succeeding over a technically superior rival, I started to figure that maybe graphics and other specs weren't really what everyone wanted, just the lunatic fringe. So I figured if the Wii was innovative enough, it stood a chance of taking second place.

Then came the massive lines at E3 of '06, and I started to think that maybe Nintendo could take the lead again this generation. Mind you, I'm still kind of stunned at just how well received it still is. In conclusion, I saw Nintendo dominating, but not to this degree.

krik,

most people don't care about HD

55% of hdtv owners don't even get hd content on their tv...and 25% think they are watching hd when they aren't

many people just don't see much (if any) difference in hd and dvd quality (which is what wii is)

people buy hdtvs because they are flat and can hang on the wall

hd is overshooting what consumers want (except for many hardcore gamers), while standard gamepads is undershooting what consumers want (except for many hardcore gamers)

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp