By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 24 Million Units - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 2-8

PAOerfulone said:

If you check the Platform Totals page and look at Japan sales, the Switch is now exactly 6 million units behind the Game Boy.
If it maintains its current pace, there's a chance it could pass it, and possibly even the DS, by the end of next year!

DS? Unlikely. Thats still far off. It will need at least 2 years as it keeps slowing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

The improvement in supply should hopefully mean Switch won't have to deal with material shortages either, as it too has been affected by the chip crunch to a lesser extent.

Also, though I realize they'd only tell half the story these days, there are times I really miss the software charts.

Completely different tech and nodes, Switch shortages have been much less severe than the other consoles, so I don't think PS5 improving their production would mean there is less shortage to Switch.

It's different tech, yes, but chip production in general has been pretty tight for a long time now, for Switch as well.

At any rate, we'll have to wait and see. Switch is still in very high demand.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 October 2022

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Completely different tech and nodes, Switch shortages have been much less severe than the other consoles, so I don't think PS5 improving their production would mean there is less shortage to Switch.

It's different tech, yes, but chip production in general has been pretty tight for a long time now, for Switch as well.

Shortages are very possibly in Japan, everywhere else it seems that it’s in stock every time. 

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes production is tight. But situation of PS improving doesn't indicate Switch also improving and vice-versa, they don't use same production lines.

Depending on factors it could even be the opposite, PS is improving because manufacturers replaced lines that were used by Switch with lines that are used by PS/Xbox.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Yes production is tight. But situation of PS improving doesn't indicate Switch also improving and vice-versa, they don't use same production lines.

Depending on factors it could even be the opposite, PS is improving because manufacturers replaced lines that were used by Switch with lines that are used by PS/Xbox.

Manufacturing tends to be contact based.  They can't just drop a console for another unless the contract is renegotiated and I don't see Nintendo cutting their contract terms just so Sony can have their manufacturing line space. 

Around the Network
Renamed said:
DonFerrari said:

Manufacturing tends to be contact based.  They can't just drop a console for another unless the contract is renegotiated and I don't see Nintendo cutting their contract terms just so Sony can have their manufacturing line space. 

I don't disagree with you, although there is also the possibility of Nintendo forecasting less shipment than current year on their contract. But again, my point was just that the situation improving for one wouldn't automatically mean it is improving for the other one as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."