By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FIFA 23 Boosts PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Sep 25-Oct 1

2023 could be a record year for Playstation in several departments depending on how much the likely recession will hurt the video game market.

Around the Network

@Alex_The_Hedgehog I think the PS5 will could outsell the Switch that week considering how the Switch has nothing major that week. The major things for the Switch that month are actually the week before (SV OLED) and the week after (SV launch). It's still possible for the Switch to surpass it that week though, depending on supply and demand for the SV OLED.

I expect we could see a couple of weeks with PS5 in the lead if supply has improved this much, and with Switch not yet kicking into holiday mode.

Ps5 be like
"I'm comin for that a$$, switch"

Not sure how to embed but supposedly PS5 shipments are up by 400% yoy in the US and Xbox up by 89%.

Last edited by BonfiresDown - on 10 October 2022

Around the Network

I went over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news over the last handful of days. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

BonfiresDown said:

Not sure how to embed but supposedly PS5 shipments are up by 400% yoy in the US and Xbox up by 89%.

This is absolutely insane. PS5 outsold Switch in September 2021 and this data shows a 5× increase in shipments (by weight). Last year Sony couldn't stockpile much for the holiday season, which I guess partly explains the ridiculous increase. If these shipments include the new and lighter 6nm model, then the actual increase in units may be more than 400%. A different Digital Edition split could also impact numbers.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 11 October 2022

Kyuu said:
BonfiresDown said:

This is absolutely insane. PS5 outsold Switch in September 2021 and this data shows a 4× increase in shipments (by weight). Last year Sony couldn't stockpile much for the holiday season, which I guess partly explains the ridiculous increase. If these shipments include the new and lighter 6nm model, then the actual increase in units may be more than 400%. A different Digital Edition split could also impact numbers.

I think a lot of this increase is to stockpile for God of War Ragnarök and the holidays. But our data does show the PS5 in the US had its best month of 2022 in September. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Kyuu said:

This is absolutely insane. PS5 outsold Switch in September 2021 and this data shows a 4× increase in shipments (by weight). Last year Sony couldn't stockpile much for the holiday season, which I guess partly explains the ridiculous increase. If these shipments include the new and lighter 6nm model, then the actual increase in units may be more than 400%. A different Digital Edition split could also impact numbers.

Chris Dring has said similar things when it comes to PS5 shipments this September. He cited his retail sources, which said PS5 shipments globally have been surprisingly good, and the best its been in over a year. 

PotentHerbs said:
Kyuu said:

Chris Dring has said similar things when it comes to PS5 shipments this September. He cited his retail sources, which said PS5 shipments globally have been surprisingly good, and the best its been in over a year. 

Over a year includes holiday 2021 which was lackluster, but saw a few weeks of around 300-400k WW.

It’s possible that PS5 is undertracked for September 2022 or that Sony started to stockpile units for the GOW:R launch and the holidays, making their 18 million units forecast for FY22, still achievable