By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft and Bethesda likes making games about lead Minorities. I wonder Why Sony doesn't diversafy?

Kakadu18 said:

I was permabanned on Resetera for saying that it doesn't matter what skincolor anyone has.

They ban people for so many mundane opinions over there that someone has to either be as insane as the mods or keep quiet about their views to not get banned.

Around the Network

Kratos is Greek and has a black VA, Chloe is Indian, Miles is Black, Slot is a women (not a minority but still underrepresented). Also there are plenty of important side characters in those games who are part of a minority, amongst them are Uncharted, The Last of Us and Horizon.

Sony also moneyhats games starring playable minorities. Barret in Final Fantasy 7, Faye from Forspoken. In Bloodborne you could choose your own skin colour. Abby is either Lesbian or Bisexual if that counts.

Last edited by Qwark - on 13 September 2022

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Japanese companies are still sort of stuck in the 80s/90s.

The demographics in the US are very different today specifically for younger people (ie: the people that would generally play video games) half the US population in that age range is a "minority" (which generally means non-white) and soon white people under 25 will become the minority flat out in the US. Japanese companies aren't really in sync with those demographic changes yet but they probably will start to come around.

Considering most--if not all--of it is less-than-genuine, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. These companies hire people to keep an eye on analytical data and social-media trends. Their job is to report back with what is least likely to "offend" the people who "cancel" for such things, and then the game is adjusted accordingly. So you see, if you honestly do care about these sorts of things, it's actually more insulting when a game suddenly does a 180 (Gears 5, upcoming GTA 6 rumors etc.) because it's pandering, and using minorities as a way to garner the appearance that they care about the issue--when they really don't.

The whole thing is tiresome, if you ask me. But then, I've mostly blocked it out. I see it as a trend, something that came about as a result of society getting adjusted to social media. And like all trends, this too will fade away. It sort of already is.

Last edited by JackHandy - on 13 September 2022