By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Queen is dead. Long live the King

I heard she was the oldest hatstand in all of Brirain.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

R.I.P.
At least she got to live a long life, and pretty much everyone knows who she is, even if they don't know much about her.

Fun fact I just read about her. She met 13 American presidents.

She also served during WWII as a driver and a mechanic for the British Army.

Jumpin said:

As an avid chess player, it always sucks to lose the Queen :(
The United Kingdom, the British Empire, and her dominions have my sympathies.

It might not long be the case.
Irish reunification, and scotland's independence, are something I think will likely come to pass, as a result of brexit.

At that point, you could argue the name doesnt fit anymore?
Like England & Wales, would it be enough to suit (without N.Ireland & Scotland)?

The queen gone, and UK breaking apart..... strange times ahead.

Also the extreme rightwing brexit tories, that are tossing away enviromental/food/water protections (and human rights), makeing it near impossible to have unions (worker rights), hell even the right to protest is changed (if your too loud or being a nousence they can arrest you), and wont tax gas/oil companies makeing highest ever profits, while this comeing winter, people will freeze to death.  It feels like a world gone mad.

From a neighbour on the other side of the North Sea, even though she was of an advanced age, this still came as a shock. Here, the news was all over this all day yesterday and it seemed like the rest of the world didn’t exist. I thought Her Majesty would pull through, because that’s what she always did. With a life and reign this long, you come to take it for granted that she’s around. The heart and face of the United Kingdom, but it turns out, even Queen Elizabeth II was not immortal.

My deepest respects and may she rest in peace.

Long live King Charles III.

Wish I could say something nice about her majesty as should be the case, but it was made clear to me here recently, that trying to end things on good terms with someone from the UK is cause for a ban.

Instead of being positive as I'd like, I'll just be quiet.

Around the Network

May she rest in peace.

TBH I thought she was going to make it to 100, but then when her husband passed away she wasn't mentally the same. Then add the Harry saga and honestly doesn't surprise me that she died a bit earlier from a broken heart. See this happen a lot when someone has been married so long.

PS - Good to see some positive thread about the Queen somewhere. Facebook is full of lizard people, paper money with the Queen on it being worthless and a plot to go cashless conspiracies. Then throw in the media, already talking about Australia should be a republic (why I don't know, the president thing doesn't seem to work too well for America lol, Royal family is a passive ruler), also talking about what will happen to the public holiday. I mean damn let the woman rest, she has earnt it from all her year service.

"Today we mourn all the stolen, violated, and traumatized lives [...] during Queen Elizabeth II's reign. Today is a brutal reminder that war criminals will be honoured while entire populations and societies bear the battle scars of colonial genocidal violence, invasion, religious persecution, and white supremacy."

B O I

Sadly, not even the most powerful people in the world are able to live forever.
She oversaw a lot of change (And instigated it I might add) that helped define the modern era, good and bad... Hong Kong, India, Australia, Canada, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore and more.

I did get to meet her on one occasion as my grandfather received a medal for Australian of the year and she was present for the ceremony.
She had my respect.

I think going forward it's going to give momentum to groups in Australia for us to cut ties to the Monarch... It was never going to happen under the Queen because the people genuinely loved her. (Hence the 1999 failed vote.)
Changes in coins... And lots of legislation, could be interesting times ahead for the commonwealth... Which could be disruptive as almost a third of the worlds population, 20% of the planets land mass is a part of the commonwealth of nations with the Queen as a representative.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Changes in coins... And lots of legislation, could be interesting times ahead for the commonwealth... Which could be disruptive as almost a third of the worlds population, 20% of the planets land mass is a part of the commonwealth of nations with the Queen as a representative.

I wouldn't have thought that changes in currency from the portraits of Elizabeth to Charles, would have been a huge deal. While I do understand the costs involved in engraving the dies and plates, it was a little amazing to me that the British government had to issue a statement that Bank of England notes with the Queen's image on them would remain legal tender.  The United States makes frequent changes to its currency, at least on the reverse sides, but coinage and currencies issued by the United States Mint and the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing are considered legal tender in the US, regardless of when they were issued. 

I could theoretically take a $20 gold piece (which stopped being issued after 1933) and buy a game from Gamestop's discount bargain bin, and it would be perfectly legal. It would be very, very stupid for me to buy a bargain bin copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn using a coin containing just short of a troy ounce of gold, and no doubt the manager would be reluctant to accept it as tender (unless he were savvy to coins and kept his mouth shut), but it would be perfectly legal to do so. I could also theoretically pay using a half dime (a 90% silver 5-cent piece that was replaced by the nickel in 1873).

As to the rest of it, did you remember much about meeting Her Highness? The highest-ranked public official I ever met in my life was our Representative in Congress at the time when I was 10, when my dad was meeting with him for assistance in getting a disability rating from the VA from a career-ending injury he received during annual military training. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 09 September 2022

SanAndreasX said:

As to the rest of it, did you remember much about meeting Her Highness? The highest-ranked public official I ever met in my life was our Representative in Congress at the time when I was 10, when my dad was meeting with him for assistance in getting a disability rating from the VA from a career-ending injury he received during annual military training. 

She was very prim, proper and polite... Everything that an Australian isn't, we tend to speak what we think for the most part.
And I guess that is actually what she liked most about Australia, it wasn't full of yes-men who are there to try and appeal and gain favor.

It was definitely an "act" but she also did genuinely care as well.

I have met multiple leaders of Australia... Even called one a wanker to their face, but I am a community driven individual with a lot of ties to fire/rescue and officials, media and so forth because of it. - The prime minister and news were often sharing images and videos of the 2019 bushfires that I had taken for example.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--