By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

No side has retained the world cup trophy since 1962 (Brazil). Only other team to do so was Italy (1938). Argentina (1990) and Brazil (1998) were beaten in the final.
France will want claim their own bit of history.

Around the Network

Also coincidentally in both 2018 and 2022 the winner and runners-up of one group made it to the semis, but both lost there.

Excellent.

As French im just happy
Back-to-back :)

Hiku said:
mZuzek said:

VAMO ARGENTINA

I'm excited to be living this mood in person. Have already bought my tickets to Buenos Aires, it's gonna be crazy. I've actually never watched a World Cup game there, and this will be Messi's last, so I felt like I had to go at any cost (thankfully the cost was surprisingly low, too).

And winning it against France would be just perfect.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

This is late but this makes me sad but Ronaldo was hated while Messi was loved still hurtful seeing ronaldo. Ronaldo made enemies with his teams and coach while Messi made his teammates respect him, If one sees what the teammates of portugal are thinking I think they are happy Ronaldo never won a World cup because they dont like ronaldo. While Argentina wants Messi to win and want the best for Messi and themselfs if you put yourself in portugal teammate and argue alot with Ronaldo I bet you want him to not get World Cup trophy? If you put yourself in Messi teammates shoes we know you do it for Messi and yourself and most people that want you guys to win it. Copy below a Ronaldo fan not me.

When you are always getting into arguments with different people then you have to look in the mirror and wonder if you are the problem.

Just because you are the best performer if your attitude stinks and people loose your trust then there comes a breaking point on what people will tolerate.

Watch this video:

France rocks. I'm happy that they won against England and Maroc (I say in french I don't care). But I hope Argentine will actually win the World Cup. They play great football.

Take note about french fair play people.

That sucks for Morocco. Still great that they were the first ever African team to make the semis!

I really really want Argentina to win now. Don't let France ruin the World Cup by winning it twice in a row!

Soccer can be unpredictable, but the way France played today... I don't think they can beat Argentina.

SecondWar said:
Player2 said:

Still rooting against Morocco until its army stops occupying Western Sahara.

I do roll eyes when I see that the colonialism argument brought to sport, especially with the double-standards like the one you highlighted. (Maybe that’s how other see the OneLove and Taking the Knee campaigns though).

Plus Morocco got its independence in the 1950, likely before the parents of their current squad were born. Plus 14 of them were born outside of Morocco. I’m going to hazard a bet ‘sticking it to the colonisers’ is not something at the forefront of their minds. I actually saw a comment during the tournament from an American with this mindset which was frankly bizarre, not only due to the time elapsed since American independence but also that the guy’s family likely migrated to the US well after the event. Also the oddity of holding being European against Croatia given themselves would be classed as a colonised country rather than a coloniser.

From their profile, Eagle367 is from Pakistan. I’m from the UK. Whilst the UK never plays Pakistan at football, they do come into competition often enough in cricket. I’d assume it is for him, but is ‘sticking it to the colonisers’ a bit thing in the rest of the country when Pakistan and England play each other in cricket? I’ve never seen such a vibe, including from other countries that of former colonies of Britain. The one I saw with more political tension was Pakistan v India.

England tend to see it more in matches against Scotland and Wales, who like to stick it to England. I have a Welsh work colleague you was very much supporting France in the quarter-final, despite living and working in England himself.

It was satisfying seeing Wales beat England in the WC. Also I said European nut because of colonizers but regional hegemony of euros in football. And it's not that deep if we are discussing actual issues, Morocco locally being a colonizers is not surprising its what nation states do. Pakistan is colonizing my people the Baloch. But the British and French and some others started the modern era of the world with their colonialism. Britain and France were the most successful. A lot of the way we think and our world works is because of this imperialism 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also