By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: Amazon is buying EA | Update: CNBC Sources - No

hinch said:

On the other flip of the coin (assuming true) with this.. we could get a Mass Effect series lol.

Man what next Google/Apple gets Ubi.. this is just trash >_>

Well Vivendi (huge media in France) tried to takeover Ubisoft in the past, but failed and sold their remaining shares to Tencent. 

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Prime exclusive FIFA movie incoming.

Didn't Fifa remove contract with EA recently? EA doesn't really own any huge IPs. They have games with popular IPs and is the second biggest publisher in copies sold, but most of their games are through licensing contract. That's why ppl talked about how EA isn't really a good deal.

VAMatt said:

Actually think that Microsoft makes the most sense to buy EA. They won't be able to do it in the near future though, because it will raise too much regulatory scrutiny. But, EA's sports games are just crying out for subscription service. They would work perfectly with Gamepass.

FIFA and Madden and alike are actually the games that make the most sense for subscriptions. They're basically just annual re-releases with updated rosters. Should just keep them continually updated and never release new titles. Or maybe just release one new title per engine update or whatever.

As long as their revenue is smaller than PlayStation and Tencent all deals will go trough.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

EA doesn't own the fifa license anymore, the next game is the last Fifa game.

konnichiwa said:

EA doesn't own the fifa license anymore, the next game is the last Fifa game.

You're right.  That maybe does make a little difference.  EA will have a new competitor in the soccer/football space, and that competitor will have the name that has proven to be successful.  

Around the Network

I like Amazon and don't care for EA so I'm pretry indifferent to this purchase

Ka-pi96 said:
VAMatt said:

Actually think that Microsoft makes the most sense to buy EA. They won't be able to do it in the near future though, because it will raise too much regulatory scrutiny. But, EA's sports games are just crying out for subscription service. They would work perfectly with Gamepass.

FIFA and Madden and the like are actually the games that make the most sense for subscriptions. They're basically just annual re-releases with updated rosters. Should just keep them continually updated and never release new titles. Or maybe just release one new title per engine update or whatever.

I'd argue the opposite. I think they'd actually lose money by going to a subscription model. It'd have to be lower than the current price of buying the game each year (quite significantly lower even since it's usually got a 50% off sale within 3 months of release) to make people interested, plus you run the risk of people already paying a recurring fee for the game not wanting to spend as much on microtransactions.

A free to play model however might work. Then you're just increasing the total userbase and possibly the amount spent on microtransactions. Still, for FIFA specifically they're getting like $350m per year from game sales. If they went F2P would the really see more than $350m per year increase in microtransactions? Seems quite a difficult target! The lower selling games however could make it work.

I wasn't thinking they'd go to a Madden subscription thing. I was thinking that adding the games to Gamepass would make a lot of sense. It would bring a lot of those casuals into the market. 

Shatts said:
S.Peelman said:

Prime exclusive FIFA movie incoming.

Didn't Fifa remove contract with EA recently? EA doesn't really own any huge IPs. They have games with popular IPs and is the second biggest publisher in copies sold, but most of their games are through licensing contract. That's why ppl talked about how EA isn't really a good deal.

Oh yeah. Guess that’s true.

"Update: no"

Best topic title ever