By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony increasing the price of the PS5 in selected markets

Has this ever happened before? A console getting more experience in so many large territories? I can't remember it happening.

Around the Network
JackHandy said:

Has this ever happened before? A console getting more experience in so many large territories? I can't remember it happening.

Canada is pretty large. PS4 started at 399 and was 499 at the end of the gen... Exchange rates.

The US dollar doing very well now is likely the reason the US doesn't see a price increase. USD is worth 25% more now against the Yen. A year ago 1USD was 109 Yen, Today it's 137 Yen, 1.25x as much. So if anything, Sony should lower the price of the PS5 in the US... It seems all currencies are falling against the USD, or rather the USD is outpacing them all.

Apart from currencies fluctuating in value, has it ever happened before that world wide inflation rates were this high?

MS must be feeling it as well, high USD value means less income from foreign sales. Yet MS only cares about gamepass numbers nowadays, still in the customer acquisition phase. And of course paying foreign devs for putting games on gamepass becomes less expensive with higher USD value. MS' huge war chest is only getting worth more compared to other currencies.

not like you could get them at that price anyway

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I got mine on release day, but feel for consumers who cannot get it at a lower price.

Is it still worth the higher price though? Absolutely. It's a great machine... And I am sure demand will still outstrip supply in the short term even with the increase.

One effect it may have is that Microsoft may receive a few extra sales as there is a little bit of negative (and rightly so!) sentiment around the price hike.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Soon coming to a store near you!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I was just wondering where my post went. I still had the tab open

The pandemic fallout goes on, prices are up across the board, fuel prices especially which has more to do with Russia. Our inflation rate in Canada is now over 8%. The only reason USA is exempt is ebcause the US dollar gained more in value than the increase in inflation rates. 1 US dollar was 123 yen start of 2021, now its 136 yen, outpacing the inflation rate increase.

https://www.androidauthority.com/ps5-price-increase-2022-3200745/

Sony announced that the digital and standard PS5 models will see price increases in Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, Mexico, and the UK. You can find the new prices below.

Digital PS5 Standard PS5
Australia
AU$649.95
AU$799.95
Canada
CAD$519.99
CAD$649.99
China
3,499 yuan
4,299 yuan
Europe
€449.99
€549.99
Japan
49,478 yen
60,478 yen
Mexico
12,499 pesos
14,999 pesos
UK
£389.99
£479.99

For what it’s worth, the European pricing was previously pegged at €399 and €499 respectively. Meanwhile, the UK price was originally set at £359 and £449.

Since production is still supply constrained I doubt manufacturing prices have gone down, maybe even have gone up. After 2 years the ps5 is still listed here as coming soon :/ Still not available on shelves, only available by getting lucky when stock drops.

It sucks, more so that I now pay 15% to 30% more for groceries. However I already paid CAD 630 for the PS5 last year (which it has been since launch) so it's 'only' a 3% increase in price. XBox Series X is still 600, so now PS5 is CAD 50 more instead of CAD 30.

Converted to US dollars PS5 is
US 500
Australia US 455 US 559
Canada US 501
China US 525
Europe US 550 (however Europe prices include tax, up to 21%)
Japan US 441
Mexico US 625
UK US 566 (also includes 20% VAT, so US 472 before tax)

So Mexico is overpaying (unless tax is added there to), Japan is getting a deal. (Least shipping costs, no import duties)
Mexico probably has high import fees on gaming.

So in Europe and Uk is actually cheaper than in the US they just have higher sales tax.  Florida something that is 500 you end up paymg 535 after sale tax is added. It is higher in New York and California but lower in Virginia for example as it varies by state.

Here is a Sales tax map.

SvennoJ said:
SegaHeart said:

Gonna quote again, Thanks so much ^^ can someone convert the effected into US dollars? What are they like? how unfairly priced are these compared to USA own 500$ tag? And is sony in the postive or negative per country like Mexico is in negative while I think Canada might be in positive? about Europe is it all Europe including West europe and East Europe? Europe has many countries so it's a continent.

I edited it in after you quoted

Converted to US dollars PS5 is
US 500
Australia US 455 US 559
Canada US 501
China US 525
Europe US 550 (however Europe prices include tax, up to 21%)
Japan US 441
Mexico US 625
UK US 566 (also includes 20% VAT, so US 472 before tax)

So Mexico is overpaying (unless tax is added there to), Japan is getting a deal. (Least shipping costs, no import duties)
Mexico probably has high import fees on gaming.

Australia has an included tax of 10% and Mexico an included tax of 16%.

the-pi-guy said:

For the most part, most of these countries are just being put in line with the US price. 

Which I get, but doesn't change that it sucks for people in those markets

But, why is Mexico so expensive? Is it an import issue? 

IT DOES SUCK, but the problem is that the system is sold out, they won't have problems trying to sell the console at the new price.

As for Mexico, it seems that taxes (IVA) and higher import taxes make electronics more expensive than, lets say, the US.

May- Maybe Sony is actually as bad as people say they are :o.

I think Sony is trying to practice the financial discipline they learned from the PS3 era, which is don't lose too much money on hardware.

They had to weigh the effect of this bad PR vs the effect on their bottom line. I think it is reasonable due to the currency fluctuations as of late but it still sucks for those on the outside looking in.

This coupled with the recent lawsuit over digital game prices in the UK definitely paint Sony in a bad light.

I think the sales will still be fine though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.