By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony increasing the price of the PS5 in selected markets

Absolutely nuts.

I will admit, this won't deter me from buying a PS5 if available, but this sort of penny pinching will start to impact the PlayStation brand eventually.

Around the Network

People rarely pay the MSRP for electronics over here, but 15K MXN hurts to see.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Ayla said:

They will never do that in the US. It would be suicide.

Given that it's still supply constrained, I wouldn't call it suicide.  That said, would definitely be giving up market share to Microsoft, but not suicide...

Oh my! Here in the Philippines it's already bad as it is. PS5 Disc edition you can get at 35,000 - 40,000 Pesos ( about 700-800 USD ). With some rare occurence of near SRP of $50 whenever official resellers sell it ( e.g. Datablitz, Gameone, etc.). I'd say it will sell around 50k-ish pesos ($1000) once Sony officially raises the price. Ugh.

SegaHeart said:
SvennoJ said:

I edited it in after you quoted

Converted to US dollars PS5 is
US 500
Australia US 455 US 559
Canada US 501
China US 525
Europe US 550 (however Europe prices include tax, up to 21%)
Japan US 441
Mexico US 625
UK US 566 (also includes 20% VAT, so US 472 before tax)

So Mexico is overpaying (unless tax is added there to), Australia and Japan are getting a deal. (Shorter shipping?)
Mexico probably has high import fees on gaming.

Bolded both these have it better than USA how are they that low Yen and AUS? Or are they low like that because of other reason?

Fuel prices and thus shipping costs have increased as well. Maybe Australia also has favorable import duties, there's a lot of penny pinching before a product arrives on the shelves.

Actually I did it wrong, I converted the digital edition price for Australia it's actually US 559, so more expensive in Australia. Maybe also sales tax included. Japan price is correct, yet that's home country with the least shipping costs and no import duties.

Around the Network

That's one way to reduce demand and help with the stock issues.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

This doesn't really change my plans on eventually getting a PS5, but it does push it even further back. I will still get one, but I don't really see that happening until late 2023 at the earliest now. Not that the console was really widely available around here anyway. If I ordered one now, I'd get it delivered sometime next summer.

When you in demand and have no real global competition. Vote with your wallet if you dont like.  Sony as a company have always been sensitive to the global economy.

Jim puts SIE first, aka his job, the hope is to get you in with value, value did not decrease so it's still a good investment. PS5 value liable to increase over time to become a better investment as we have seen with PlayStation over the past 26 years.

Last edited by loy310 - on 25 August 2022

interesting that the US doesn't get raised, wonder if the other console makers will follow.

I have a feeling people will still buy the PS5 because that is the one they want. this isnt the PS3 / 360 days anymore. Where the PS3 was a premium product for the advanced bluray and built in wifi compared to the cheaper 360. Back then it was about the games and the PS3 games tended to be worse than 360 so people looked at the price and performance of the 360 and made it really competitive between the two.

MS miscalculated and released an inferior product with a higher price point (thanks kinect) and ended up paying dearly the entire 8th gen. While Sony didnt have to do anything except churn out hit after hit after hit. Which brings us to this gen. Sony can up the price but people who are coming from the PS4 know the quality is worth it even though Series X is the better overall hardware. Games are king and PS has the ones that XB doesnt. So people will pony up the difference for the PS5 regardless.

Last edited by darthv72 - on 25 August 2022