By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The last of us HBO teaser dropped.

I have to be honest, I didn't care much for Last of Us, I'll give the show a shot, but apart from their GoT roles, I don't find neither Pedro nor Bella particularly good actors.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I am hoping this show turns out to be fantastic. If it is a big hit I do wonder if it could open the floodgates to more movies/tv shows based on video games and could they become as big as comic book movies are now? 

That process has been slow and painful but there has been progress. Various properties have proven game adaptations commercially viable if not critically, many releasing only recently like Detective Pikachu, Sonic, and Uncharted. Castlevania and Arcane thoroughly broke the seal of quality in the animated space but we're still waiting on the same for live action imo. If anything is likely to do it though, it's The Last of Us.

Comics are actually one of the easiest mediums to adapt with their digestible yet compelling stories and your look and visual storytelling already previsualized for you. Games don't even need a story at all so there isn't always as much to build off of. Still, there's enough good stories out there and plenty of writers to fill in the gaps. The game industry is already bigger than movies and music combined, let alone comics. No real reason game adaptations can't eclipse the latter if the shot callers put in the effort.

Pedro Pascal was a good choice, I'm more unsure of Bella Ramsey since I haven't really seen her in much of anything and she doesn't have the right look for the role. She has shown she can pull off the tough kid thing though, in GoT, but they're vastly different roles. Hope they don't screw this one up!

Part 1 was one of my favourite games. But part 2 was so bad it retroactively soured part 1 for me. Otherwise I would be hyped to give the show a try. But knowing part 2 that seems impossible.
I specifically did not watch Dumb and Dumber too or The Matrix 4 so that their predecessors would not lose anything in my regard. The more I love a franchise, the more it is probable for me to like each individual part just as mich as the weakest part of the franchise.

I think Pedro is a good actor, but they could have taken somebody more resembling Joel. The actress does not look like Ellie either. But kids are difficult anyways. Their video game counterparts were just so good together. I hope it is not a catching lightning in a bottle situation and the show turns out well received.

Not a fan of the Bella Ramsey casting, but love Pedro Pascal as Joel. Im looking forward to it, lets hope its pretty good.

Around the Network
twintail said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

Part 1 was one of my favourite games. But part 2 was so bad it retroactively soured part 1 for me. Otherwise I would be hyped to give the show a try. But knowing part 2 that seems impossible.
I specifically did not watch Dumb and Dumber too or The Matrix 4 so that their predecessors would not lose anything in my regard. The more I love a franchise, the more it is probable for me to like each individual part just as mich as the weakest part of the franchise.

I think Pedro is a good actor, but they could have taken somebody more resembling Joel. The actress does not look like Ellie either. But kids are difficult anyways. Their video game counterparts were just so good together. I hope it is not a catching lightning in a bottle situation and the show turns out well received.

TloU2 is brilliance. 

TloU1 HBO shouldn't be a carbon copy of the game, an I'm glad it won't be. Pedro doesn't need to look exactly like Joel, and neither does Bella have to look like Ellie. It should be its own thing, and that's what will make it special.

I hear you. And yet they are in many of the same exact situations, in the same environments, having simillar clothes even and saying the same things. If a show is so much the same as the game than it would be easier for me if the actors looked like their videogame counterparts.

I mean, I have not seen the show, so who knows. But just from a conceptual standpoint it is not its own thing enough for me not to notice negatively how different they look. But I am glad it works for you. If it is well received I might check it out.

And I am glad there are people who liked part 2.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Arcane is the best series/movie/animation based on a game IP

A must watch.

Yea I wont lie it was impressive how good Arcane was.

The teaser here was impressive and I can't wait to check out this show.