By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer Group to acquire Limited Run Games

Another one gobbled up.

Embracer Group Acquires Limited Run Games, Tripwire Interactive, and More

Embracer Group Acquires IP Rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 August 2022

Around the Network

Embracer Group has also acquired Tripwire Interactive, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs, Tatsujin, and Bitwave Games, as well as the IP rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Well the Embracer Group is doing rather well, there is still room to grow though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

"Embraced", On bottom right it'll say embracer instead of limited run for Physical if limited run put their logo on all physical games back then? Hope this fixes preorder problems?

Guess which version of Hatsune Miku this is? She has my Birth stone color turqoise in her eyes, And I'm most honest Sega Saturn lover alltime.Picture far right is Sega first Real Mascot. Represents my birth animal the helpful Bunny want you to find his name.My ruling Planet is Saturn if connect the Birth month I was born and year.

trunkswd said:

Embracer Group has also acquired Tripwire Interactive, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs, Tatsujin, and Bitwave Games, as well as the IP rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

The last one is weird. I though Amazon would try to get the TLotR games for their gaming division, since they are making their own version of TLotR with the Rings of Power and all. Weird than Embracer got to those first.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Oh no.

I'm surprised that Amazon lost out on The Lord of the Rings IP to Embracer, Lol.

Insane value, Embracer has some of the best negotiators in the business, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:

Oh no.

I'm surprised that Amazon lost out on The Lord of the Rings IP to Embracer, Lol.

I'm scared of Embracer didn't they buy Dark Horse comics too few months? Is Embracer allowed to make Lord of the Rings Movies now?

Guess which version of Hatsune Miku this is? She has my Birth stone color turqoise in her eyes, And I'm most honest Sega Saturn lover alltime.Picture far right is Sega first Real Mascot. Represents my birth animal the helpful Bunny want you to find his name.My ruling Planet is Saturn if connect the Birth month I was born and year.

If they'd make a "Gandalf movie", and it doesn't feature Ian McKellen as Gandalf, people aren't going to care though.

SegaHeart said:
Ryuu96 said:

Oh no.

I'm scared of Embracer didn't they buy Dark Horse comics too few months? Is Embracer allowed to make Lord of the Rings Movies now?

Yes.

The Tolkien Estate sold the rights to The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit a long time ago to The Saul Zaentz Company and now Embracer has those rights, so, Embracer basically owns the characters created specifically for those books and they can tell whatever stories they want for that time period using those characters.

Stories in the 2nd age remain with The Tolkien Estate, such as The Silmarillion, Amazon has a license to tell stories for the 2nd age and Embracer won't be able to touch that era without a license of their own but anything from the 3rd age is now Embracer's to do with what they like, Amazon also can't touch stuff specific to The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit without permission from Embracer nor can they tell stories in that time period.

That's my limited understanding of the matter from looking into it in the past, these rights are a bit all over the place. So these games such as Shadow of War/Mordor and that upcoming Gollum game had to gain permission from Saul Zaentz, not the Tolkien Estate, now they need to gain permission from Embracer.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 August 2022

The link to the Era source was a dead link so I replaced it with links to Trunk's articles!