By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer Group to acquire Limited Run Games

Another one gobbled up.

Embracer Group Acquires Limited Run Games, Tripwire Interactive, and More

Embracer Group Acquires IP Rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 August 2022

Around the Network

Well the Embracer Group is doing rather well, there is still room to grow though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

trunkswd said:

Embracer Group has also acquired Tripwire Interactive, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs, Tatsujin, and Bitwave Games, as well as the IP rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

The last one is weird. I though Amazon would try to get the TLotR games for their gaming division, since they are making their own version of TLotR with the Rings of Power and all. Weird than Embracer got to those first.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If they'd make a "Gandalf movie", and it doesn't feature Ian McKellen as Gandalf, people aren't going to care though.

Ryuu96 said:
SegaHeart said:

Yes.

The Tolkien Estate sold the rights to The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit a long time ago to The Saul Zaentz Company and now Embracer has those rights, so, Embracer basically owns the characters created specifically for those books and they can tell whatever stories they want for that time period using those characters.

Stories in the 2nd age remain with The Tolkien Estate, such as The Silmarillion, Amazon has a license to tell stories for the 2nd age and Embracer won't be able to touch that era without a license of their own but anything from the 3rd age is now Embracer's to do with what they like, Amazon also can't touch stuff specific to The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit without permission from Embracer nor can they tell stories in that time period.

That's my limited understanding of the matter from looking into it in the past, these rights are a bit all over the place. So these games such as Shadow of War/Mordor and that upcoming Gollum game had to gain permission from Saul Zaentz, not the Tolkien Estate, now they need to gain permission from Embracer.

AFAIK Amazon didn't have access to Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales (which is mostly first-age stuff, hence they going for second-age material from the LOTR appendices), but the Zaentz Co. does. So that's a mega win for Embracer there.

Were Amazon, Sony, Disney, asleep at the wheel, since we know the deal was rather cheap?

Around the Network

Where do they get all money from? Like, none of the games they’ve released has been heavy hitters. Am i missing something?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Ryuu96 said:
haxxiy said:

Damnit. You're right, The Silmarillion is mostly first age stories.

I didn't know that Zaentz had access to first age stuff too though, I thought they only had stuff from the 3rd age but they could mention past events if those events were mentioned in the books they acquired the rights too, isn't The Silmarillion/Unfinished Tale still owned by Tolkien Estate?

Variety first reported that the rights were up for sale for $2bn! How did Embracer get them this cheaply? How did the others let them? Lol. The only thing I can think of in Amazon's case is they were reluctant due to the MGM acquisition needing to pass regulation.

Apparently Zaentz Co. has matching rights to all material published past the 1976 deal. I suppose it'll boil down to the specific clauses if that still makes it viable for third parties to directly petition the Tolkien Estate for Silmarillion/UT stuff.

Looks like Amazon felt that wasn't the case, and combined with TE's past lawsuits, I'd guess the terms aren't favorable to them, but who knows. It's a mess, really.

Embracer seems like a company that, in a few years, we'll be reading "What went wrong?" articles about.

Maybe they'll hurry my deluxe Quake copy then. The first and last game I buy from LRG.

Now Embracer owns the largest IP ever made. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. They will be racking in the trillions before long.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!