By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Whats our/your backup the moment VGC gets cut loose?

Sorry if I am out of the loop, but why is VGC on “borrowed time”?

Around the Network

I don't have a reason to be here, but I am addicted. I will probably get busier as I get older and drift away from the forum anyway. Eventually the site will die, but I won't move on to a different place. I always have something else that I could be doing.

Arguing is pretty pointless, which is what I see much of the discussion on forums to be. Not specifically this one, but just in general. I love to discuss and get hyped about big games coming out, but it's been a while since we had that opportunity. That's one of the main reasons I feel the traffic is pretty low these days. There just hasn't been any crazy news on the gaming front in quite a while. I'm guessing come September that will change when I expect we will at least have a Nintendo Direct.

I think that while the Switch and the PS4 are obviously on equal footing and history will judge them that way, the PS4 already achieved massive success before the Switch even showed up and the Switch has achieved its success during a stagnant time for Microsoft and Sony. In 2006 all three competitors were going head to head and all three were bringing something unique to the table. And, of course, there were very few places to have sales focused discussions.

Times have changed. I get much of my information these days from YouTube. The content creators there are doing such a good job of relaying the top news stories, providing great breakdowns of trailers, news tidbits, and rumors that looking to forums for information and discussion almost seems redundant.

I like this site for the graphs and charts. I like that many users have created their own long running graphs and charts that really put certain sales in perspective. That would definitely be missed and it isn't really something I see being done too much on YouTube.

So if this site ceased to exist (which, by the way, I don't see happening) I would have to do another internet search like the one that brought me here in 2006 to keep up to date on the latest sales figures. If said site also had a forum, then that would be cool. But honestly, I didn't come here for the forum. Just the charts.

@Ryuu96 all good points, but just wanted to clarify that the z in chartz wasn’t to be cool. It was because vgcharts was already taken by another website. It may not be now, but it definitely was at the beginning.

I've been coming to this forum since I was 14. I am going to be 29 in October. If it dies, then I don't think there is anything that would replace it. The only other places I am active on video game content are various subreddits.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

@Ryuu96 all good points, but just wanted to clarify that the z in chartz wasn’t to be cool. It was because vgcharts was already taken by another website. It may not be now, but it definitely was at the beginning.

And nextgenwars with the autoticker that kept updating every serveral seconds/minutes

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Out of curiosity, how much money does it take to operate a website like this on a monthly/yearly basis?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Thought this was a joke thread

Umm yeah, I don’t know ??‍♂️ E3 I guess

kirby007 said:
super_etecoon said:

And nextgenwars with the autoticker that kept updating every serveral seconds/minutes

Definitely had forgotten about that. Which really captures the zeitgeist of the time. Again, with all three basically launch aligned (360 with a nice head start to add to the competitiveness of the race) it was exciting to see each go head to head. And the race was beyond entertaining. I don’t know if there will ever be an alignment that allows for that kind of parity again. Of course, this current match up between Series and the PS5 will certainly be compelling once the component shortages are resolved. At this point, though, and I think it’s the most important point, all three manufacturers have shown they can survive in the ecosystem, even during dark times. That takes some of the intensity away from the fight. In 2006 we had recently witnessed a competitor leaving the market. I just don’t see that as a possibility these days. 

Do you have any reason to think ioi will pull the plug? This seems like an unsubstantiated rumor.

I am on forums less than I used to be (but there are bursts of activity...), so that would probably decrease even more. Maybe hang out on resetera or ign, although the later is a stretch, more just article comments and something about resetera just rubs me the wrong way whenever I take a look...