By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2022 Thread

A week before Evo, Knee joined a stacked tournament with around 50 top Koreans + 15 top Japanese players, and just demolished everyone he faced using Feng. Evo was a continuation to that. Sheer dominance.

Looking forward to Tekken 8 or reboot or whatever they're working on. Hopefully a current gen + PC exclusive.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I took that as a conclusion to the Mishima family feud. Why Heihachi did the things he did, the origin of the Devil gene, etc.
That's pretty much wrapped up now, so they can have a new focus for the next story.

All new characters gets more difficult to do the bigger the roster becomes, and these days the rosters are pretty huge compared to the old days.
I think at that point it may be better to make it a different series and call it something else, kind of like how Garou Mark of the Wolves is different from King of Fighters.

Which kind of ties into DLC. If the roster keeps getting bigger and bigger, and you want to launch each new entry with some new characters, at some point it becomes unreasonable to include every classic character. But it's understandable that people can feel unhappy about that. 

But a normal player can't make a player of Gamerbee's caliber eat all those DPs in a row in spite of the great risk it carries if it is blocked. Which is why we never saw that happen again in SF4's lifetime, and why it became a legendary moment.

On the former, kinda my point. Yes, it's great to continue on with your characters but the more they add and the more they want to promote new ones or appeal to a market the more they will also leave behind or more work they create for them. They can adapt however, Lee when added was basically just a Law clone, slightly different moveset but by the time 4 and onwards came about they redefined his kit massively. 6 version of Lee was superb and fluid but I fear he is an outlier character, added only because of the story involved in T7, much to the reason why classic characters Anna, Lei and Julia were left out and added as (paid) DLC only later. In 8 without the Mishima stuff being for front, I feel he will fall out of the game, like Lei did. Meaning my 'mains' are starting to dwindle. 

Solution? Don't make Tekken 8. Make something else but the same gameplay. I can't be disappointed in Lee not being in it if no one's mains are in it. They can add characters that have similar fighting styles but with a new game, new gen, why not mix it up with new story and characters as well?

On the latter, more than I know what is capable in Tekken and not SF and MK as I'm not a fluent in it's tactics. But can't deny I don't enjoy the high level play viewing, they are the best of the best for a reason.

Hmm, pie.

Kyuu said:

A week before Evo, Knee joined a stacked tournament with around 50 top Koreans + 15 top Japanese players, and just demolished everyone he faced using Feng. Evo was a continuation to that. Sheer dominance.

Looking forward to Tekken 8 or reboot or whatever they're working on. Hopefully a current gen + PC exclusive.

This.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 09 August 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

Which Evo moment was the hypest?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

SegaHeart said:

Which Evo moment was the hypest?

Only watched Tekken 7 but definitely this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nzeropants/status/1556120090306703363

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Hiku said:

I took that as a conclusion to the Mishima family feud. Why Heihachi did the things he did, the origin of the Devil gene, etc.
That's pretty much wrapped up now, so they can have a new focus for the next story.

All new characters gets more difficult to do the bigger the roster becomes, and these days the rosters are pretty huge compared to the old days.
I think at that point it may be better to make it a different series and call it something else, kind of like how Garou Mark of the Wolves is different from King of Fighters.

Which kind of ties into DLC. If the roster keeps getting bigger and bigger, and you want to launch each new entry with some new characters, at some point it becomes unreasonable to include every classic character. But it's understandable that people can feel unhappy about that. 

But a normal player can't make a player of Gamerbee's caliber eat all those DPs in a row in spite of the great risk it carries if it is blocked. Which is why we never saw that happen again in SF4's lifetime, and why it became a legendary moment.

On the former, kinda my point. Yes, it's great to continue on with your characters but the more they add and the more they want to promote new ones or appeal to a market the more they will also leave behind or more work they create for them. They can adapt however, Lee when added was basically just a Law clone, slightly different moveset but by the time 4 and onwards came about they redefined his kit massively. 6 version of Lee was superb and fluid but I fear he is an outlier character, added only because of the story involved in T7, much to the reason why classic characters Anna, Lei and Julia were left out and added as (paid) DLC only later. In 8 without the Mishima stuff being for front, I feel he will fall out of the game, like Lei did. Meaning my 'mains' are starting to dwindle. 

Solution? Don't make Tekken 8. Make something else but the same gameplay. I can't be disappointed in Lee not being in it if no one's mains are in it. They can add characters that have similar fighting styles but with a new game, new gen, why not mix it up with new story and characters as well?

On the latter, more than I know what is capable in Tekken and not SF and MK as I'm not a fluent in it's tactics. But can't deny I don't enjoy the high level play viewing, they are the best of the best for a reason.

I feel like even if they aim to make a new generational break, kind of like with Tekken 3 where they had some alternate younger versions of previous characters (Beak -> Whoarang, Michelle -> Julia, etc) the company will want the developers to keep some of their iconic characters. Because for merchandise, for collaborations in mobile games, for crossover deals with other fighting games, they'll prefer legacy characters like Kazuya (like in Smash), because they generally sell more and better promote the franchise than new characters. At least for a new entry in Tekken.

But if they named it something else and marketed it as a different series, the higher ups in the company would probably be less concerned with launching a game without legacy characters.

And yeah, often times the more you know of a game, the more it can heighten ones enjoyment. But some games can be more entertaining on a surface level than others.

Kind of on that note, this was the first time in SFV's history that I enjoyed watching it, and even watched all of Top 8.
Don't plan to watch it again though, but if Daigo and Tokido and IDom are in Top 8 again at EVO Japan, then I probably will.