By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What it needs to make a better Pokémon game nowadays?

The real issue is that Pokemon Company, Nintendo and whatever stakeholders the Pokemon franchise has, have no interest in giving the right time and resources to the Gamefreak team so they can deliver a polished game with whatever ideas they have. It doesn't really matter what direction they choose, I doubt they can release anything really good.

Around the Network

I just saw the Direct. Pretty much what I expected: overly focused on mobile stuff, and very general and vague information about the actual game. The ability to choose the order of the gyms is a welcomed addition, but outside of that, nothing really stands out. They showed more human characters than new pokemon, which is the entire selling point. Also, another gameplay gimmick that will be abandoned in a single gen (giantamax is only in SwSH and it's already sidelined...). Nothing that really changes my mind about modern pokemon.

Also, very ironic remark at the end. "We've kept all the things you love about pokemon". Oh really, does that mean that you will include all pokemon again? Contests? Battle Frontier? Triple/Rotative/Inverse battles? Megas, Z moves?...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

160rmf said:

I am not saying this as something solely for my pleasure or to keep the old fans.

I really think these things that I pointed with the tech that we have nowadays, we can all see the franchise reaching their true potential, just like Breath of the wild did for the Zelda franchise. Making a game just as remarkable as their branding power

Pokemon has never been about what you're suggesting though while Zelda on the other hand was, some people need to accept Pokemon is aimed at the same people it was back in the RBG days, younger generations who do not care about any of that hence the numbers SWSH is still pulling off despite the complaints of older fans.

This is why the brand is so big because you will never run out of the younger generation while older fans start to develop specific wants and needs. If you do not like the direction then that is an indication that you are no longer the target audience but as far as the brand's performance goes they've been going the right direction for a while. 

Darwinianevolution said:

Also, very ironic remark at the end. "We've kept all the things you love about pokemon". Oh really, does that mean that you will include all pokemon again? Contests? Battle Frontier? Triple/Rotative/Inverse battles? Megas, Z moves?...

I agree with Battle Frontier and Megas/Z Moves. Buy did people actually like contests and Triple/Rotative/Inverse battles? First time hearing that (I mean, I know some people like those, but it's not a generalized feeling...)

As for what Scarlet and Violet bring to the table... 4 player online multiplayer not limited to raids and player battles only is a pretty big deal to me. Being able to play the entire adventura with a friend in Let's Go Pikachu was awesome, but exploration was limited and battles were a joke with two players. Scarlet and Violet seem to go beyond that and offer a complete co-op experience and I'm very excited for it. 

Vodacixi said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I agree with Battle Frontier and Megas/Z Moves. Buy did people actually like contests and Triple/Rotative/Inverse battles? First time hearing that (I mean, I know some people like those, but it's not a generalized feeling...)

As for what Scarlet and Violet bring to the table... 4 player online multiplayer not limited to raids and player battles only is a pretty big deal to me. Being able to play the entire adventura with a friend in Let's Go Pikachu was awesome, but exploration was limited and battles were a joke with two players. Scarlet and Violet seem to go beyond that and offer a complete co-op experience and I'm very excited for it. 

Liking or disliking the features removed is not my point. From Gen 5 forwards, they've been taking away features in every game. For every feature added, they have taken one or two in each installment. GameFreak seems unable to move forward in a consistent way, with its obsession/excuse of making every game "unique" instead of making progressive improvements game by game.

Mark my words, they are not going to carry megas, Z moves or Dynamax to the new game to make way to the new gimmick. And of course, they won't add the national dex, even if it's just to have an expansion a year or two later with (some) of the missing pokemon. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I fear I won't be.

Also, I'm not blind to the fact that, most of the new features GF is pushing lately are all online. What a coincidence, after online becomes a paid service, they move more and more towards online. Which is ironic giving that the GTS was such a great feature and was discontinued in SwSh...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Very slowly, I’d say yes. But there’s still a huge lack of quality control, and quality when it comes to a lot of aspects of their game. And I’m kinda over that.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Wyrdness said:
160rmf said:

I am not saying this as something solely for my pleasure or to keep the old fans.

I really think these things that I pointed with the tech that we have nowadays, we can all see the franchise reaching their true potential, just like Breath of the wild did for the Zelda franchise. Making a game just as remarkable as their branding power

Pokemon has never been about what you're suggesting though while Zelda on the other hand was, some people need to accept Pokemon is aimed at the same people it was back in the RBG days, younger generations who do not care about any of that hence the numbers SWSH is still pulling off despite the complaints of older fans.

This is why the brand is so big because you will never run out of the younger generation while older fans start to develop specific wants and needs. If you do not like the direction then that is an indication that you are no longer the target audience but as far as the brand's performance goes they've been going the right direction for a while. 

How so? Gameboy era was all about exploring pokemon world and legends by your own ways, starting with a single basic creature. The pokedex entries always tell bizarre behaviors which are basically unused when we get to the game. 

By that time you would be sure that was hardware limitations that stopped us from truly immerse on that world. But as of now they are just creating pointless gimmicks in battle and pokemons are nothing but 3d models placed randomly on a regular landscape. What's even the point to make the game 3d open world if you don't make an appealing world?

You talk about the right direction for a business corporation standingpoint, even that, it won't be good if you have the potential to reach an even wider audience but you remain with a part, even if its big in absolute numbers.

The brand is huge no doubts, but talking about the gaming aspects, it's just don't match.

We reap what we sow

Darwinianevolution said:

That's basically what I am using as example as their convulsions in games lol 

There some things that are better forgotten 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 05 August 2022

We reap what we sow

No one likes contests because the games never made them more then just a side quest to the main Pokémon gym challange

With all the idol games that get released in Japan gamefreak could use them for inspiration.

if they really put time and effort into making contests as big as they think the Pokémon league challange main story is, then I think contests can be quite enjoyable

Hiku said:
160rmf said:

You get the legendary right from the start and you can only use it to explore the world.

That seems fine to me. I'm sure you unlock it as a fighter towards the end of the game.
The only gripe is the aesthetics of one of them.

I phrased it wrong. What I tried to say is that you can only use this pokemon to fly, swim and ride. The other pokemons don't have any use other than battling. This legendary going to your team to battle is given.

And the fact that this pokemon is classified as legendary but everybody is riding one on the trailer is just mind-boggling 

We reap what we sow