By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts June 2022 Discussion Thread

On the monthly hardware comparison DS March 2010 shows as 214.8k, while NS June shows as 226.7k.... Are these covering a slightly different period or is there something else i'm missing, as otherwise shouldn't latest month be 12k in favour of NS

Anyhow, NS should lower the gap by ~1m by the end of the year, after which there are only 4 more reasonable DS months to compete against, with Dec 2010/Mar2023 being the only one NS is guaranteed to lose out on.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 14 July 2022

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

On the monthly hardware comparison DS March 2010 shows as 214.8k, while NS June shows as 226.7k.... Are these covering a slightly different period or is there something else i'm missing, as otherwise shouldn't latest month be 12k in favour of NS

Our system automatically puts specific weeks into each month. So what should be the last week of June the site has put that as part of July. I manually added that week for June comparisons.

So which weeks are covered? DS in March 2010 was doing 40-45k so that 214k is already a 5 week month, as far as I can tell NS in June sold more in 4 weeks than DS did in 5, if you are adding in the most recent week shouldn't the NS gap change in latest month be even larger? (almost 100k to NS)

trunkswd said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

So which weeks are covered? DS in March 2010 was doing 40-45k so that 214k is already a 5 week month, as far as I can tell NS in June sold more in 4 weeks than DS did in 5, if you are adding in the most recent week shouldn't the NS gap change in latest month be even larger? (almost 100k to NS)

You are right. I am not sure how it happened, but the number for Switch is wrong. Let me go and update the article. Switch should be at 311,039 for June.

No worries, kind of looks like its subtracted the w/e June 25th instead of adding w/e July 2nd

Just want to say that I find all three comparisons in this thread to be really interesting. I especially like that you have added several consoles onto one graph so we can see how the current one stacks up to several past generations.

Switch seems to be tracking not too far behind last year in Europe, so should be ~4mil for the rest of the year. Might take the lead in December, if not then definitely in Q1 next year.

Around the Network

Looks like Switch will conquer the PS3's last regional stronghold before the year is out, or close to it.
Beating a Playstation home console in Europe is no small feat.

I would love to see a graph including NSW, Wii and PS3, as it has been done with some other gap charts. They all are really close to each other this far.

IIRC, Sony projects PS5 will continue to track below PS4 through this year and next, but then catch up and overtake it in 2024.
We'll have to wait and see if they can make good on this goal.

PS5 got off to an early lead. Clearly, there was a lot of demand for it from the most hardcore gamers. However, it has been losing ground to the PS4 for the past year, and it's going to continue losing ground for the rest of its lifetime. Shortages are really only the least of PS5's problems. It has the much bigger issue in that it's really only going to be popular in Europe this generation. PS5 will be a distant third place in the US, and it's obvious that there is not much demand for PS5 software in Japan and RoW.

This is going to be a down generation for Sony much like it was for the PS3 (and probably worse). Hopefully they can make a come back with the PS6.

Thank you for adding PS3 and PSP to the comparison. That gives it more perspective.