By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony deletes 318 StudioCanal movies from German and Austrian customers' Playstation libraries

Oh this is not okay. For all that about ownership and whatnot, yeah, but there's something more important here. It's Paddington who's getting removed. You cross Paddington, you cross me. You'll pay for this, Sony.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

Around the Network

Things like this can happen to games as well. Which is why physical copies of games are so important.
But we are moving closer to an all digital future. Unless the platform holders make sure that the rights to these licenses will always remain with them, there will always be that risk.

Captain_Yuri said:

Not that I buy movies on Sonys platform but this is the kind of nonsense that ensures that I never buy digital media from them. Personally, the only time I buy digital movies is during deep discounts on Apple TV and even then, I try to buy physical movies instead of digital. Imo Sony should have offered refunds even if it's partial because regardless of who's fault it is... At the end of the day, it is Sonys platform and things like this ensures I continue to not buy movies from them.

Sony stopped selling movies and television shows on all their platforms on August 31, 2021.  So, it is not a coinvent that they will be removed one year later I guess the agreement between Sony and StudioCanal was that they would remove the contend one year after they stopped selling it in Austria and Germany anyway not sure how long they will remain accessible in other regions.   I only buy digital movies from the Microsoft Store because I can earn Microsoft Rewards points for doing so and they have no plans of stop selling movies and television shows anytime soon so my purchases should be safe for the time being.

Hiku said:

Things like this can happen to games as well. Which is why physical copies of games are so important.
But we are moving closer to an all digital future. Unless the platform holders make sure that the rights to these licenses will always remain with them, there will always be that risk.

While I agree physical copies are important, we're not exactly in short supply of games with bullcrap physical copies that don't actually have the whole game inside or require you to log online to play anyway.

Even with physical games you gotta always check to see how much you're truly owning what you bought. The only place where I'm 100% sure I own the games I buy in this day and age is GOG, that's an honest and transparent store. Buy your game, get your game, works on any computer under any circumstances. It's why I always try to support devs/publishers who release their games there, since it's so easy to pirate whatever comes out on it, it shows the devs care about being pro-consumer and believe in their game's selling potential regardless of piracy.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

Just in case somebody still thinks the current business model doesn't stink...
Full physical copy or DRM-free digital FTW! Everything else sucks, unless it's ad-funded f2p. But if it's f2p with in-game purchases, one-sided deals suck in this case too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!