By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Announces MegaDrive 2 (updated list)

I was like “what’s the point?” until I saw that there were Sega CD games on this thing. I hope they can get Lunar and Vay for this,

Around the Network

The Genesis I own is not in great shape, so I am always looking to repurchase the games I like on something more modern. But I actually skipped the first Genesis mini because everything that I really cared about on it I already have between the Wii VC or the Sega Genesis Classics collection. Other titles it included like Castlevania and Contra I have in their respective collections already and Castle of Illusion I have on my PS3 when they offered it along with that lame remake. So, Thunder Force 3 was the only thing that I wanted that I only have on cartridge, and I do have the "arcade" version of that with the Sega Ages release (although it's a bit different).

For the Mini 2 to interest me, it's going to have to have some of the more obscure titles I want that aren't available elsewhere - things like Mystic Defender, Gaiares, Ghostbusters, Batman, Target Earth and the Genesis version of Valis 3. Offering Sega CD games doesn't interest me much either, unless maybe they include Snatcher since I never played that and always wanted to.

So I will remain skeptically optimistic regarding the 50 game lineup for the Mini 2.

Now I am interested. If it gets a US release I'm in.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I made a spreadsheet of what Genesis/Megadrive games have been available on each Genesis mini, and threw in comparisons with Sega Genesis Classics software, and Nintendo Switch Online Genesis Expansion pack for the hell of it.  The AtGames Flashback list is deceptive as around 28 of the games listed are "unofficial games" that AtGames is notorious for using as "filler titles" in its Flashback systems.

GAMEGenesis Flashback 2017Genesis Mini 2019Genesis Mini 2022Genesis ClassicsNSO Expansion Genesis
Adventure in the ParkX    
Air HockeyX   
Alex Kidd in High Tech WorldX   
Alex Kidd in Miracle WorldX   
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted CastleXX X
Alex Kidd: The Lost StarsX   
Alien Soldier   XX
Alien StormX  X
Alisia Dragoon X  
Altered Beast XX XX
Arrow FlashX   
Baku Baku AnimalX   
Beyond Oasis X X
Bio-Hazard Battle   X
BomberX   
Bonanza Bros.X XX
Bottle Taps RaceX   
Break the FirelineX   
Bubbles MasterX   
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse X  
CannonX   
Castlevania: Bloodlines X  X
Chakan: The Forever ManX   
CheckersX   
ChessX   
ColumnsXX X
Columns III:  Revenge of ColumnsX  X
Comix ZoneXX X
Contra: Hard Corps X  X
Crack DownX  X
Cross the RoadX   
Curling 2010X   
Darius X  
Decap AttackX  X
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean MachineXX XX
Dragon CrystalX   
Dynamite Headdy X XX
Earthworm Jim X  
Ecco The Dolphin X  X
ESWAT: City Under SiegeX  X
Eternal Champions XX  
Fantasy ZoneX X 
Fantasy Zone The MazeX   
Fatal LabyrinthX  X
Fight or LoseX   
Fish Tank LiveX   
FlickyX  X
Gain GroundX  X
Galaxy Force II   X
Ghouls ’n Ghosts X  
Golden AxeXX XX
Golden Axe IIX  X
Golden Axe IIIX  X
Gunstar Heroes X XX
HangmanX   
HexagonosX   
Jack's PeaX   
Jewel MagicX   
Jewel MasterX   
Kid ChameleonXX X
Landstalker X X
Light Crusader X XX
Magical Taruruuto-kun  X 
Mahjong SolitaireX   
Mansion of Hidden Souls  X 
Maze 2010X   
Mega Man: The Wily Wars X  
MemoryX   
Monster World 4 X  
Mortal KombatX   
Mortal Kombat IIX   
Mortal Kombat IIIX   
Mr. BallsX   
M.U.S.H.A    X
Naval PowerX   
Phantasy StarX   
Phantasy Star IIX  X
Phantasy Star III:  Generations of DoomX  X
Phantasy Star IV:  The End of the MilleniumXX XX
Plumbing ContestX   
Popful Mail  X 
Road Rash 2 X  
RistarX  XX
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of ShinobiX  X
Shining Force: Legacy of Great IntentionXX XX
Shining Force II:  The Ancient SealX  XX
Shining Force CD  X 
Shining in the DarknessX XX
Shinobi Ⅲ: Return of the Ninja MasterXX XX
Silpheed  X 
SnakeX   
SnowboardingX   
Sonic & KnucklesX   
Sonic 3D BlastX  X
Sonic ChaosX   
Sonic Drift 2X   
Sonic SpinballXX XX
Sonic the HedgehogXX X
Sonic the Hedgehog 2XX XX
Sonic the Hedgehog CD  X 
Sonic Triple TroubleX   
Space Harrier 2 X XX
Spider X   
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition X  
Streets of Rage    X
Streets of Rage 2 X XX
Streets of Rage    X
Strider X  X
Super Fantasy Zone X  X
Super Thunder BladeX  X
Sword Of VermilionX  XX
Tails' AdventureX   
Tetris X  
The OozeX   
The Revenge of Shinobi    
Thunder Force 2 X  X
Thunder Force 3 X  
Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar)  X 
ToeJam & Earl X XX
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron   X
VectormanXX X
Vectorman 2X  X
Virtua Racing  X 
Virtua Fighter 2XX X

Wall-Breaking

X   
Warehouse KeeperX   
Wonder Boy in Monster World X  
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck X   

Mandalore76 said:

I made a spreadsheet of what Genesis/Megadrive games have been available on each Genesis mini, and threw in comparisons with Sega Genesis Classics software, and Nintendo Switch Online Genesis Expansion pack for the hell of it.  The AtGames Flashback list is deceptive as around 28 of the games listed are "unofficial games" that AtGames is notorious for using as "filler titles" in its Flashback systems.

Thanks for that list; very helpful! 

You just forgot to tick the box for Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis Classics collection.  I'm so glad I have the original unedited cartridge of that game where Spider-Man turns into Batman (unlicensed) instead of that weird bat-demon thing and you fight Godzilla (again, unlicensed) instead of the skeletal dinosaur.

Mystic Defender also had an unedited version of the US release where the princess at the end is naked in the game like the Japanese version instead of wearing a dress as she was later, which is surely the version we'll get if they do include that title.

Last edited by archbrix - on 03 June 2022

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
archbrix said:

Thanks for that list; very helpful! 

You just forgot to tick the box for Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis Classics collection.  I'm so glad I have the original unedited cartridge of that game where Spider-Man turns into Batman (unlicensed) instead of that weird bat-demon thing and you fight Godzilla (again, unlicensed) instead of the skeletal dinosaur.

Mystic Defender also had an unedited version of the US release where the princess at the end is naked in the game like the Japanese version instead of wearing a dress as she was later, which is surely the version we'll get if they do include that title.

Wasn't there a Terminator in that version?

Yeah, the Terminator boss actually remains unchanged in the edited version but the flamethrower soldiers look like Rambo in the original and were then altered:

Also, Spider-Man, who Sega had the license to at the time of the original release, had three different versions: a slight color change in the first edit, and then pink for the Wii VC release.

I wish they came with a Master system mini instead, but oh well...

CaptainExplosion said:

Now this has me disheartened that Nintendo isn't making anymore mini consoles, but instead just giving us more of a half-assed subscription service they have hardly bothered to improve.

Soooo, you want an SNES Mini 2?

Also, with regard to classic games Nintendo has constantly been improving their subscription service. Games are released every month, don't get removed, glitches are fixed, what is not improved about it?

This system looks cool. I hope they release it outside of Japan soon.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 04 June 2022

The Japanese version is so much more awesome. Both Lunars, Popful Mail, Sorcerian. I'd also consider buying this if they would load the Genesis version of Starflight on it.