By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets have a discussion: Multiple sources say SONY's next big grab is Square Enix.

Leynos said:
twintail said:

Quite simply because GP needed (needs?) game content to continue making the service valuable to consumers. It's not rocket science my friend. 

I keep forgetting GP exists lol. In that case that just adds to why Sony would want TR. More games for their service.

If Sony were pursuing a GP equivalent, then sure I'd see the argument. 

Even if Sony were to take the TR IP, there are 2 core issues :

1) Who would develop it? Internally, which Sony studio would want to work on TR? They are being given the freedom to pursue their own ideas which I think we can all agree is for the best. The only alternative would be a 2nd/ 3rd party, but Sony almost never gets an outside studio to work on an existing IP they own. It's always about investing in new ideas and new IP.

2) If Sony were to make TR work, it would have to be an AAA title, otherwise what is the point when they have Uncharted (with speculation that another is on the way). Anything less would be a waste of the IP. The problem, however, as evident by the last 3 releases, is that big budget TR is clearly not entirely feasible. All latest trilogy was at least $100M a piece, profits were not strong, and SE weren't happy with it's overall performance. Sony aren't going to commit to an IP that has been like this for 3 games in a row. Sony barely even gives their own IPs such a chance. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

Yeah, I don't understand the "Sony is moving away from Japan" comments. To support this claim, there are two statements I always see, 1.) Sony shut down their Japan studio (which isn't true, as far as I'm aware they restructured it into Team Asobi), and 2.) they aren't sending as many consoles to Japan, why would they? Japan is a significantly smaller market than Europe and N. America for dedicated home consoles so why would Sony focus on what few consoles they ARE able to produce and send them to Japan over other regions?

It's their gaming output that is the best hint that Sony is moving away from Japan.

That include internal developments that are completely western centric. Nobody asks for big japanese oriented games, but Sony always had smaller games that at least in part target japanese audience like Patapon or Loco Roco. But even these smaller games aren't happening anymore.

That also includes treatment of japanese third parties with the stuff like extra hurdles like giving a text in english additionally to japanese for approval.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Yeah, I don't understand the "Sony is moving away from Japan" comments. To support this claim, there are two statements I always see, 1.) Sony shut down their Japan studio (which isn't true, as far as I'm aware they restructured it into Team Asobi), and 2.) they aren't sending as many consoles to Japan, why would they? Japan is a significantly smaller market than Europe and N. America for dedicated home consoles so why would Sony focus on what few consoles they ARE able to produce and send them to Japan over other regions?

It's their gaming output that is the best hint that Sony is moving away from Japan.

That include internal developments that are completely western centric. Nobody asks for big japanese oriented games, but Sony always had smaller games that at least in part target japanese audience like Patapon or Loco Roco. But even these smaller games aren't happening anymore.

That also includes treatment of japanese third parties with the stuff like extra hurdles like giving a text in english additionally to japanese for approval.

Japan Studio was a mismanaged developer, who failed to produce after close to a decade of restructuring.

They also only developed like 5% of their games, and have been replaced by XDev Asia/ Japan, the division responsible for working with 3rd parties to produce PS exclusives.

Add in Team Asobi, and really nothing has changed except cutting off dead weight.

Of course this means there's going to be a year or so transition period. But it is what it is.

The only thing I care about is completely losing the chance of seeing Geno and Mallow again on Nintendo if this purchase actually happens.