By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your favorite video game studios that don't exist anymore?

Loaded up my PS1 emulator and first games I saw were a couple of my favorite games as a kid. Nowhere near the levels of the Metal Gear Solid's or Final Fantasy VII's of the PS1 era, but as a kid, I loved these games. It was Croc: Legend of the Gobbos and The Emperor's New Groove. No idea why I loved them so much as a kid lol but they were made by the same studio, Argonaut Software, or Argonaut Games as they rebranded by 2000. I wondered what happened to them and apparently they went defunct by 2004 :(

Made me wonder, what are some other video game studios we loved that just don't exist anymore?

I decided to make a top 5. My first choice is Argonaut Software, but I also loved

Ensemble Studios (I would've chosen Westwood Studios but I prefer AoE over C&C)
Acclaim Entertainment (specifically Acclaim Studios Austin where I remember them as Iguana Entertainment)
Neversoft (pre-Guitar Hero days)
And of course, Midway

What are yours? 

Feel free to name as many studios as you'd like. 

Around the Network

Pandemic Studios stands out to me. The first two Battlefront games are classics.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Pandemic, the Mercenaries games were some of my favorites as a kid. Ensemble is a good one too, I loved the first Halo Wars game. 

Last edited by NobleTeam360 - on 04 May 2022

Blizzard.

Acclaim, they made some duds, but Acclaim and Rare kept Nintendo afloat in between first party releases during the N64 days.

Around the Network

Konami.. RIP 2015.

Rare

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hinch said:

Konami.. RIP 2015.

That one hurts deep

My childhood favorites;

LucasArts (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island)
Sierra (Kings Quest, Space Quest, etc)
MicroProse (Civilization, Transport Tycoon, Grand Prix series)
Bullfrog (Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper)

Squaresoft
And Konami I guess, if we want to say they dont exist no more.
I also had a soft spot for Visceral Games,