By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer group acquires Square Enix Western studios

Embracer Group has entered into an agreement to acquire studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal, & a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain & more than 50 back-catalogue games from Square Enix Holdings

https://t.co/sqrQdav7Be

link 2 => https://news.cision.com/embracer-group-ab/r/embracer-group-enters-into-an-agreement-to-acquire-eidos--crystal-dynamics--and-square-enix-montreal,c3557701

Around the Network

Btw, it was cheap:  

Square Enix says the transaction (which was only $300 million) "enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud." SE still has Just Cause, Outriders, Life is Strange

edit:  SE did not expected someone would made a bid this high.

Last edited by konnichiwa - on 02 May 2022

Wow, 300 million? That is EXTREMELY cheap considering they got the Tomb Raider, Just Cause, and Deus Ex IPs along with them. In contrast, Sony paid over 200 million for Insomniac which only came with a couple of very small IPs. I guess Square was desperate to offload their western studios.

I'd like a new Deus Ex even if just to finish Adam Jensons trilogy. I also would not mind a sequel to GOTG game but now that's probably out.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

shikamaru317 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Wow, 300 million? That is EXTREMELY cheap considering they got the Tomb Raider, Just Cause, and Deus Ex IPs along with them. In contrast, Sony paid over 200 million for Insomniac which only came with a couple of very small IPs. I guess Square was desperate to offload their western studios.

Just Cause is staying with Square, but Embracer did get Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Cain, and apparently Sleeping Dogs IP's out of it, plus more.

Maybe we can actually get a new Sleeping Dogs game now, first one was a good game. 

Around the Network

It might seem cheap, but I am sure in terms of sales/profits, SE West has been underperforming significantly. Now a lot of that blame could be due to SE themselves, but they seem to think that they can't do any better anyways.

Oh god.
Giving up several studios and valuable IPs for a fraction of the revenue they make in a year? (Square as a whole)

I hate to see it, and I also don't get why they would do it. Even if they wanted to get rid of their western studios for some reason, this still seems ridiculous.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I understand MS is super busy on the Activision deal but for Sony, what the hell are they thinking not going after these studios? They put in almost 1.5B into Epic over the last 2 years but they won't invest in this? Crazy stupid.

Square Enix West has been floundering for years now.

Whether that comes down to management/expectations from Square themselves, this sort of move is expected, and would have probably led to lay offs instead if not for an acquisition.

Blood_Tears said:

I understand MS is super busy on the Activision deal but for Sony, what the hell are they thinking not going after these studios? They put in almost 1.5B into Epic over the last 2 years but they won't invest in this? Crazy stupid.

1.5B in Epic is a much better investment than 300M in Square Enix West.