By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - NeoGAF gets really cranky about NYT mentioning VGChartz

And I can see not allowing people to quote our figures in an argument or something, but they really go overboard with things. They not only ban (and censor) all mentions of the site, but they also ban every site/group/company that mentions us in any way (see: Codemasters, Kotaku, etc.).

Around the Network
kokokyuchitsune said:
As someone who reads a lot of different internet forums, I hope no one minds me signing up just to quickly write this post. I can't speak for NeoGAF since I'm not even a member there, but I do read there a lot, and I do quite understand why they might ban this site. I can see why any site might ban this one.

No offense to all the work that goes into here, but discussion that references this site's numbers are more likely to lead to mindless conjecture and circle-jerking than any kind of intellectual debate. Many people can be quite uncomfortable with using guesstimates to base the crux of their argument from. And rightfully so, many times arguments have broken out when references to numbers here have been made - when NPD or company numbers are released things just break down entirely and many people are painted as fools or morons.

So perhaps, in the interest of keeping discussions as accurate as possible, keeping to what is known as (mostly) factual statistics and numbers, they might be justified in banning this site entirely. For all reasonable purposes, it has no effect on you, while their forum is a whole lot cleaner, and discussions more civil and realistic. Perhaps you may have some damaged pride, but I hope you can kind of see where I (or at least other sites) might be coming from in their attitude towards you - or more accurately - your numbers.

Great while we're at it lets get rid of the 1st amendment (US) and ban discussion of politics since we all know how much BS people spew on that topic.  And since that pesky "Freedom of Religion" crap  is gone now we can ban religion because god knows how many flame wars start from that!

Seriously, what kind of sense does it make to ban something just because of what might be said about it?   You can rationalize it in your mind all you want but at the end of the day it's still censorship, and it's still nothing more than a control mechanism to make sure that a particular view is upheld without question. 

If the issue was as cut & dry as many gaffers seem to think it is they would easily be able to defend their views. This is particularly true when you consider that the current community is already of one mind and they tightly control who is allowed to join. Sound like any system of governance you know of?

In any case, I don't want to tell them how to run their site, they can do whatever they want.  But I just can't see how anyone can honestly think they have a rational position on this issue.  Final-Fan's post really points out the hypocrisy of their position quite well so I won't go into it.  

I hope a lot of gaffers read ioi's post and saw that there is no attempt to deceive here by VGC. At no point have the numbers ever been claimed as 100% accurate or "more accurate than NPD". This site is simply a team of people who've volunteered an enormous amount of time to make a free, comprehensive, and easily accessible database. And honestly if people want to turn their backs on that, thats fine...its their loss not ours.

To Each Man, Responsibility
DKII said:
And I can see not allowing people to quote our figures in an argument or something, but they really go overboard with things. They not only ban (and censor) all mentions of the site, but they also ban every site/group/company that mentions us in any way (see: Codemasters, Kotaku, etc.).

You're kidding? Codemasters? Thats one of the largest and oldest independant game makers out there. Thats just screwed up.

The story unfolding here is quite entertaining. Keep it coming!

kokokyuchitsune said:
As someone who reads a lot of different internet forums, I hope no one minds me signing up just to quickly write this post. I can't speak for NeoGAF since I'm not even a member there, but I do read there a lot, and I do quite understand why they might ban this site. I can see why any site might ban this one.

No offense to all the work that goes into here, but discussion that references this site's numbers are more likely to lead to mindless conjecture and circle-jerking than any kind of intellectual debate. Many people can be quite uncomfortable with using guesstimates to base the crux of their argument from. And rightfully so, many times arguments have broken out when references to numbers here have been made - when NPD or company numbers are released things just break down entirely and many people are painted as fools or morons.

So perhaps, in the interest of keeping discussions as accurate as possible, keeping to what is known as (mostly) factual statistics and numbers, they might be justified in banning this site entirely. For all reasonable purposes, it has no effect on you, while their forum is a whole lot cleaner, and discussions more civil and realistic. Perhaps you may have some damaged pride, but I hope you can kind of see where I (or at least other sites) might be coming from in their attitude towards you - or more accurately - your numbers.

Oh, and sidenote:

As for NeoGAF being of some hive mentality or something along those lines, I don't think I've seen such amazing debates anywhere on the internet. There are people defending just about every side to a story or issue. Some opinions get scoffed at, plenty are mused over or expanded upon. And even better, only the really ridiculous (or later was right, but at the time seemed ridiculous ;) ) and idiotic comments get wailed upon by the majority. The ban-bets are hilarious, and the off-topic section is just <3

The mods are also a hoot :P

There are other great forums out there (Love you somethingawful) but NeoGAF takes the cake 9/10 times on my cravings for brainfood and lulz D:

Lmao, nice job acting like you aren't a part of that site. I mean, you even made a Vgchartz account just to defend the site. Oh, and that last paragraph was hilarious.

Around the Network

^^
Share some of your popcorn please!

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

This thread should be locked, it's only adding fuel to a flame war.

Edited for content:

Haters, the lot of them, they are afraid of VGChartz and what it stands for. They dislike the owner of this site and all of his supporters because God knows why, but I dislike them because most of them are ignorant hate-mongers.

Damn their eyes.

The reality is, the site views "sales" as a distasteful representation of the system wars. They don't want flame wars started because the often kicked around Nintendo group pwns the majority every week, and they don't want their forums to become one big advertisement for VGChartz.

It's trying to stem the tide of gaming and the internet sensation VGChartz, with mods and bans, and attempting to control the flow of information available to its more casual members, based on personal agenda.

Cool-aid drinkers. Wake up and get real. If you don't believe this sites numbers, then believe Nintendo's shipped numbers or NPD, but know this: It's retarded to hate a site because it's giving you factual information you hope is false, because you "think the Wii is ruining gaming."

Face reality for God sake.

That forum is a depressing bog. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Legend11 said:

I'm not seeing that Legend11. A lot of people don't understand the history. Lots of good info in this thread. You can't post a lot of this on GAF without getting banned.

fkusumot said:
Legend11 said:

I'm not seeing that Legend11. A lot of people don't understand the history. Lots of good info in this thread. You can't post a lot of this on GAF without getting banned.

This thread does give good info on the history, but some people are just commenting here just to flame GAF. I think this thread is getting out of hand, the single purpose was basically to argue with GAF, but I don't think GAF's reason for posting the thread on their site was any better...

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245