By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - NeoGAF gets really cranky about NYT mentioning VGChartz

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:
Is there any reason why NeoGAF hates VGC?

If you stick up for Vgchartz there you will be torn down as if the posters are rabbid wolves and you're a small rabbit. Besides that, a lot of sites don't like Vgchartz.

Why is that? Of all of the web communities I've been a part of VGchartz's is easily the most knowledgeable. We have our Fanboys but they all use evidence to back up their points. That's more than I can say about NeoGAF.

They criticize the numbers on the site, not the members of the forum.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

They sound brainwashed to be honest. Seems like they were told to hate this site before they ever knew what it was.

Oh well, if they don't want to enjoy these free weekly numbers, let them do and believe what they want.

Aj_habfan said:

Oh well, if they don't want to enjoy these free weekly numbers, let them do and believe what they want.

And that, I think, summarizes how we should all feel about this.

Here's something interesting:
theguy said:

Originally Posted by apujanata:
Once NYT did that (print a correction), would you (or any other NeoGAF member) be kind enough to let us know in this thread ? I hope that VGC members who keep track on this topic will see the correction, and post it in their site. Otherwise, I would have to spent more bandwidth to go there, and post it myself (which I would hate to do).

Off topic : Are you from NPD ?
LMAO

Don't you go worrying yourself, shadow. The correction will hit gaf as soon as it appears in the paper.

Off topic: I do get a kick out of ioi's ad nauseum re-posting of Sean Wargo's interview. I read that posting back when ioi slapped it on his zite. Yes, I always do my homework - - perhaps the more open-minded users of that zite should do the same - - so I personally contacted Sean (that's right, I went there), he was livid that ioi posted what was supposed to be an off-the-record discussion. So much for journalistic integrity. Oh, wait, there aren't any journalists on that zite, are there? Prediction: beginning tomorrow, that zite will have a group of retailers, publishers, manufacturers, video game industry analysts AND journalists working for it.

Sean Wargo hasn't worked at NPD for years, nor did he work in Games or Software. Sean stated that he made some broad assumptions about NPD's data collection and callibration, something that wasn't mentioned in ioi's write-up. Funny, but I've not seen Sean on that zite since then. Coincidence? I think not. Don't believe me? Reach out to Sean and mention the discussion he had with Michael (the financial services consultant he discussed and emailed with regarding that posting back when it first appeared on the zite). Unlike a certain zource, I'm not out to get anyone or misrepresent the facts. I do, however, expect truth in "journalism," a word I use loosely when referencing anything posted on that zite. But as has always been the case with ioi - shit in, shit out. I honestly doubt Sean will respond to ioi but if he does, send me a private message. I would love to arrange a follow-up interview b/t Sean and an NPD associate to be posted on NeoGAF. I would arrange it, write it and post it without any editing (deletion) of content.

In response to your off-topic question, if you're a gaffer, why would you care? If you must know, I consult and work with several research organizations, publishers and manufacturers. Want to hire me? If so, send me a private message but be warned, my bullshit-o-meter has kicked into high gear so be careful!
(emphasis added)
How very curious, I thought.  I wonder if there is any truth to these allegations.

Swargo says:
Hey guys,
Great to be part of the community. It was my pleasure doing the interview, and yes, I'd be happy to do one again.
On Walmart -- the challenge is that they feel they were burned by a data company in the past. Apparently the company allegedly shared Walmart's data. Hence the company has shut down all data sharing. Getting them in will be a pretty big challenge and will take some trust building. There is great stuff here though, so perhaps we can convince them yet.
Sean Wargo
The Market Sage
swargo@tmsage.com

PS. I have no confidentiality agreement with NPD.
Posted on: 01/02/08, 15:49
Source
Doesn't look like it, I thought.  But why would he say that?
Originally Posted by apujanata:
Off topic : Are you from NPD ?
His user name once was driley, try finding who the guy is.
Oh.

Truth will out.

P.S.  And speaking of the truth, he does give us a handy-dandy fact-check opportunity:  "Don't believe me? Reach out to Sean and mention the discussion he had with Michael (the financial services consultant he discussed and emailed with regarding that posting back when it first appeared on the zite)."

I don't suppose anyone here is able to take him up on this?

[edit:  P.P.S.  Since he seems to deny being D. Riley, I have to point out in the interest of fairness that I have no idea how well-founded starship's "driley" comment is.  However, it is clear that theguy is an NPD attack dog even if he's not that particular man and even if his attacking is his own initiative, and it's also clear that theguy likes to sidestep questions about or downplay his association with NPD, which should tell you how dedicated he is to getting the truth out in the open.  "In response to ["Are you from NPD?"], if you're a gaffer, why would you care? If you must know, I consult and work with several research organizations, publishers and manufacturers. Want to hire me?"

[Also, in regards to his comment "I'll tell you what, if you stop misrepresentin', I'll have no other choice but to back down":  I seriously doubt that anything less than the total dissolution of VGC as an organization will stop him from attacking it; and even if it did I'd still expect the ocasional cheap shot.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Damn, that is some mighty fine digging!

Around the Network

I got the impression that 'theguy' was somewhat full of it. Nice to see him proved oh so badly wrong.

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fazz said:
Is there any reason why NeoGAF hates VGC?

If you stick up for Vgchartz there you will be torn down as if the posters are rabbid wolves and you're a small rabbit. Besides that, a lot of sites don't like Vgchartz.

Why is that? Of all of the web communities I've been a part of VGchartz's is easily the most knowledgeable. We have our Fanboys but they all use evidence to back up their points. That's more than I can say about NeoGAF.

Fanboys hate evidence.  It's harder to argue evidence.  Even worse enough of it actually begins to change your opinion, which for a lot of people causes a reaction that leads to a violent lashing out because in their minds their console has to be best and all others have to suck because they've spend so much time and money to identify with that brand.

It really makes no sense to me. NeoGAF does have a good reputation. I know they have many industry members and I know even more people from the industry follow the forums. I just don't understand why a forum that is supposed to have such integrity would be so immature to ban a site and bad mouth it so much. You think they would at least let their members openly talk about it if they wanted.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

The best excuse I've heard so far is that they are too afraid of the flamewars between pro- and anti-VGC factions that would (and apparently did?) erupt. Or perhaps they're afraid VGC would win?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@Final-Fan: I may be blind, but where did Swargo say that? You link to his profile, but it says he has 0 posts.

Edit: Ah, nevermind.  It was in the comments.