By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Sonic 2 has biggest domestic opening weekend for a video game movie ever, $71m

What was the previous record holder for best opening weekend before the Sonic movies?

Around the Network
Machina said:

What was the previous record holder for best opening weekend before the Sonic movies?

Detective Pikachu was the previous record holder before Sonic 1 surpassed it. Here is the top 10 for opening weekend at the domestic box office:

1. Sonic 2- $71m (3 day)
  2. Sonic 1- $70m (4 day President's Day weekend, 3 day it did $58m)
  3. Detective Pikachu- $54.4m (3 day)
  4. Uncharted- $51.3m (4 day President's Day weekend, 3 day it did $44m)
  5. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider- $47.8m (3 day)
  6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time- $37.8m (4 day Memorial Day Weekend, 3 day it did $30.1m)
  7. Rampage- $35.7m (3 day)
  8. Resident Evil Afterlife- $26.7m (3 day)
  9. Tomb Raider (2018)- $23.6m (3 day)
  10. Mortal Kombat (2021)- $23.3m (3 day)
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 April 2022

Is it behind then when adjusting for inflation?

ironmanDX said:

Behind Sonic 1, probably yeah, with 2 years of inflation Sonic 1 $70m should be above Sonic 2 $71m, but Sonic 1 released on a 4 day weekend whereas Sonic 2 released on a 3 day weekend, so if you compare 3 day vs 3 day then Sonic 2 is ahead even with inflation.

shikamaru317 said:
Machina said:

Detective Pikachu was the previous record holder before Sonic 1 surpassed it. Here is the top 10 for opening weekend at the domestic box office:

1. Sonic 2- $71m (3 day)
  6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time- $37.8m (4 day Memorial Day Weekend, 3 day it did $30.1m)

Interesting - thanks for the list.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Machina said:

1. Sonic 2- $71m (3 day)

Predictions if a Sonic 3 is made with rumors of Shadow and Rouge the bat appearing?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

I thought both movies were passable. Some adaptations have had more appeal than others (like the original Mortal Kombat movie), but I'm still waiting for the first genuinely great game to film adaptation. The closest would probably be Wreck It Ralph (not based on any one property). The recent success of game adaptations on the small screen does give me hope that they'll figure it out on the big screen soon, too.

ironmanDX said:

Looking at only three day openings:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aXtOvrwpA

BradleyJ said:
ironmanDX said:

I'm honestly shocked that Pokemon The First Movie didn't do better than that even after inflation adjusting. I remember the night I went to see it at the biggest theater in my area, a 14 room theater, they had the movie playing in like 5 rooms at once, and the line to see it was halfway out into the parking lot and took like 30 minutes to get through. I only ever saw a line that big one other time at that particular theater, and it was Star Wars The Phantom Menace that same year, 1999. 

shikamaru317 said:
BradleyJ said:

I'm honestly shocked that Pokemon The First Movie didn't do better than that even after inflation adjusting. I remember the night I went to see it at the biggest theater in my area, a 14 room theater, they had the movie playing in like 5 rooms at once, and the line to see it was halfway out into the parking lot and took like 30 minutes to get through. I only ever saw a line that big one other time at that particular theater, and it was Star Wars The Phantom Menace that same year, 1999. 

It's not higher because it opened on a Wednesday and earned nearly $20M before the weekend, which brought in another $31M. I believe the above is only based on opening weekends. If it had opened on a Friday I think it would at least be in the running for the number one video game opening adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by BradleyJ - on 13 April 2022