By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saudi Prince now owns SNK, goodbye KOF and other franchises :(

Chrkeller said:
theRepublic said:

Not really.  One of those things you have direct control over.  Where your electricity comes from depends almost entirely on where you live, and you have very little direct control.

You very much have control over how much power you use.....  new consoles like a ps5 use a ton of power.  It is a choice to a large degree.  And many electronics come from sweatshirt factories with child labor.    

Either way, people are entitled to their opinion.  Most products are shady in their manufacturing.  SNK isn't in a new situation.

HVAC and large appliances use way more energy.  And don't think I didn't notice the subtle shifting of the goal posts.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Chrkeller said:

You very much have control over how much power you use.....  new consoles like a ps5 use a ton of power.  It is a choice to a large degree.  And many electronics come from sweatshirt factories with child labor.    

Either way, people are entitled to their opinion.  Most products are shady in their manufacturing.  SNK isn't in a new situation.

HVAC and large appliances use way more energy.  And don't think I didn't notice the subtle shifting of the goal posts.

Actually a ps5 uses more power than some large appliances such as a freezer, dishwasher, clothes washer.  You would be surprised at how much power a ps5 uses.  Add in having to power a TV as well, maybe even some speakers.  Gaming has  significant power consumption. 

And there is no shift of goals.  Most of our products have shady background.  SNK isn't a new situation.

And how people respond is their decision.

https://ecocostsavings.com/ps5-electricity-cost/#ps5-power-consumption-breakdown

It isn't my fault if you would prefer not to know the truth of things that are in fact decisions.

This whole conversations reminds me of people who drive hybrid cars claiming they are good stewards of the planet....  despite they are eating tons of red meat...  but alas, if picking a single battle and ignoring all the other issues makes somebody feel like a hero, well done!

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 April 2022

Chrkeller said:
theRepublic said:

Actually a ps5 uses more power than some large appliances such as a freezer, dishwasher, clothes washer.  You would be surprised at how much power a ps5 uses.  Add in having to power a TV as well, maybe even some speakers.  Gaming has  significant power consumption. 

And there is no shift of goals.  Most of our products have shady background.  SNK isn't a new situation.

https://ecocostsavings.com/ps5-electricity-cost/#ps5-power-consumption-breakdown

It isn't my fault if you would prefer not to know the truth of things that are in fact decisions.

This whole conversations reminds me of people who drive hybrid cars claiming they are good stewards of the planet....  despite they are eating tons of red meat...  but alas, if picking a single battle and ignoring all the other issues makes somebody feel like a hero, well done!

But you did shift the goal posts.
He claimed that whether or not to buy SNK is a choice you can easily make whereas you can't help where your country of origin buys fuel for power generation. You responded by saying that you can affect how much energy you use, which isn't the same thing at all. With SNK it's a simple yes/no choice on a luxury item that is fully within your power but for the fuel you cannot choose where it is purchased from and must use some of it to maintain a normal life, it is neither a luxury item nor a choice fully within your control.
Attempting to dismiss a moral choice on the grounds that 'other things are bad too' is a hollow self-justification for not caring.

psychicscubadiver said:
Chrkeller said:

But you did shift the goal posts.
He claimed that whether or not to buy SNK is a choice you can easily make whereas you can't help where your country of origin buys fuel for power generation. You responded by saying that you can affect how much energy you use, which isn't the same thing at all. With SNK it's a simple yes/no choice on a luxury item that is fully within your power but for the fuel you cannot choose where it is purchased from and must use some of it to maintain a normal life, it is neither a luxury item nor a choice fully within your control.
Attempting to dismiss a moral choice on the grounds that 'other things are bad too' is a hollow self-justification for not caring.

Gaming by default is luxury.  And look I don't see the point in going on for pages and pages.  Gaming is a luxury which has bad/shady impact to a wide variety of areas.  I was simply pointing that out, not claiming people shouldn't care.  And electricity consumption is a choice, especially when it relates to luxury items, which gaming is.  

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Gaming by default is luxury.  And look I don't see the point in going on for pages and pages.  Gaming is a luxury which has bad/shady impact to a wide variety of areas.  I was simply pointing that out, not claiming people shouldn't care.  And electricity consumption is a choice, especially when it relates to luxury items, which gaming is.  

So you'd buy SNK games not caring that your purchase would fund the deaths of Yemeni children or the assassinations of dissidents?

I haven't bought a SNK game since the 90s.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

I haven't bought a SNK game since the 90s.

Fine, but you've been talking about how this is "nothing new" and act as if we should basically either give up gaming altogether or keep gaming while children in China and Yemen suffer and then said we were using Putin's energy for some reason.

Because it isn't new.  Many products, including gaming, have shady connections.  That was my only point. It isn't new.    

Here in the US oil is imported from Saudi and Russia... so for somebody who drives a 13 mpg truck being proud about not buying SNK...  either you get the point at this time or you don't.  

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Because it isn't new.  Many products, including gaming, have shady connections.  That was my only point. It isn't new.    

Here in the US oil is imported from Saudi and Russia... so for somebody who drives a 13 mpg truck being proud about not buying SNK...  either you get the point at this time or you don't.  

I'm sorry, I thought Russian oil wasn't being brought into the US anymore because Russia showed it's true colors in February.

Probably not currently but we still have inventory and let us be honest....  we funded their military for decades.

And with more honesty....  they showed their true colors many times before.  This isn't their 1st invasion.  

And we still import Saudi oil.  I'm simply being honest about the many ways we support bad people.  Which means this SNK situation isn't new.  And I'm guessing SNK is nothing compared to their oil revenue.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 April 2022

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Probably not currently but we still have inventory and let us be honest....  we funded their military for decades.

And with more honesty....  they showed their true colors many times before.  This isn't their 1st invasion.  

And we still import Saudi oil.  I'm simply being honest about the many ways we support bad people.  Which means this SNK situation isn't new.  And I'm guessing SNK is nothing compared to their oil revenue.

But I don't doubt it'll be enough for them to kill more Yemeni children.

You don't think $124,000,000,000 annually is enough to fund their activities?  As comparison SNK revenue is $60,000,000.....  slightly different amount of significant figures.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

You don't think $124,000,000,000 annually is enough to fund their activities?  As comparison SNK revenue is $60,000,000.....  slightly different amount of significant figures.

That's still enough to kill at least a small group of Yemeni children. So, based on what you're saying, there's no consumer product we can buy without supporting utter scum? That I can't even go to the movies without enabling shitheads?

Locally sourced produce and meats?

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Locally sourced produce and meats?

Then all the fun things are off limits just so we can avoid funding twat faces like Mohammed bin Sodomite or Xi Jinpig? This really is a shitty world. -_-

Welcome to a global economy.  I wouldn't worry about it, do the best you can and make what choices work for you.