By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 106M, XS Outsells PS5 - Global Hardware Mar 20-26

Still trips me out sometimes to think that there are now more Switches in the world than Wiis or PS1s, given how massive those two were, and after less than 5 years too, with plenty of potential gas left in Switch's tank.

Around the Network

@curl-6 I agree, but it's also worth noting that there are much more people in the world now than there were when the Wii & PS1 launched (especially PS1). And in comparison to the Wii, it helps that the Switch is not seen as a gimmicky device appealing solely to non-gamers. The DS had no problems selling over 150m and launched 2 years before the Wii.

Torpoleon said:

@curl-6 I agree, but it's also worth noting that there are much more people in the world now than there were when the Wii & PS1 launched (especially PS1). And in comparison to the Wii, it helps that the Switch is not seen as a gimmicky device appealing solely to non-gamers. The DS had no problems selling over 150m and launched 2 years before the Wii.

Well, most of the world's population increase comes from very poor countries that don't really factor significantly into console sales; PS4 and Xbone for example sold less than PS3 and 360 despite the world's population being bigger in Gen 8 than Gen 7.

The DS had the luxury of being an extremely cheap device and offering a lot of the kind of experiences that phones do now before smartphones took over.

And I don't think anyone can objectively and honestly look at a system that had the likes of Zelda Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Monster Hunter 3, Xenoblade, multiple Resident Evil titles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Last Story, and a multitude of others and conclude it appeals "solely to non-gamers".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 April 2022

2:1 ratio in USA for Xbox. Thats insane. I guess Series S was a big win for Microsoft.

curl-6 said:
Torpoleon said:

Well, most of the world's population increase comes from very poor countries that don't really factor significantly into console sales; PS4 and Xbone for example sold less than PS3 and 360 despite the world's population being bigger in Gen 8 than Gen 7.

While that is true, some of those countries also have developed quite a bit since then. Also, if we just take western Europe and North America, then the population grew by about 50M since the launch of the 360 between all those countries, so there ought to be higher sales in those countries if the population percentage that plays console games would stay the same.

However, as I could see in the Philippines (not sure if this is universal for developing countries), many people in developing countries who didn't grew up with a video gaming industry are shocked to see a $50 price tag for a game when they have games for free on their phones, and don't know the difference in production quality between the two kinds of games. Also, someone who grew up using the touchscreen as sole input device finds the many buttons on a controller confusing. I let my little nephew play Dragon Quest Builders and he got so utterly confused from being able to move the character and camera independently from each other with the analog sticks that he didn't manage to get out of the starting cave.

Around the Network

If current sales trends continue X|S is going to pass PS5 LTD in the US by the end of April from the looks of things. Really a staggering turnaround from the 8th generation.

The thing is, the US market has proven over and over again it is the least brand loyal of the 3 main markets. It’s not completely clear to me how PlayStation regains market share lead in the US if it loses it this year. Budget conscious American consumers are clearly attracted to the Series S and the premium market likely views the Series X and PS5 as more or less interchangeable. If Microsoft can maintain decent supply I am positive large numbers of US gamers will switch from PS to Xbox

Impressive how NS keeps on reaching milestones.
Very good XS.
PS5 good, but if Sony doesn't solve its production problems it will waste months or worse years of potential sales boosts from new games and the reorganisation of PS online services, on top of the already missed sales.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
curl-6 said:

While that is true, some of those countries also have developed quite a bit since then. Also, if we just take western Europe and North America, then the population grew by about 50M since the launch of the 360 between all those countries, so there ought to be higher sales in those countries if the population percentage that plays console games would stay the same.

With all three platform holders, the overall userbase actually shrank from PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP to PS4/Xbone/Wii U/3DS/Vita, in spite of population growth.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 April 2022

Man I guess the Switch will end up blowing by PS4.

The last shipment update for the Wii U was 13.56 Miliions. That means the Series X|S already outsold the Wii U.