By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you like an option for renting games?

Would you rent a game?

Yes 5 23.81%

Yes, if the time I access... 1 4.76%

Yes, if the game have no free trial 1 4.76%

Yes, under some other specific circumstances 4 19.05%

No 9 42.86%

Undecided 1 4.76%

Total:21

Like paying some money to play a game for a week or month and when you time expires you lose access to the game. Kinda like how we rent movies on Youtube

I would personally enjoy a renting service. I wouldn't mind having to pay additional money to keep (or to even buy physical) a game I liked. I find this a better option than buying a game for 60 USD and then dropping it after a couple of hours like I did with Monster Hunter Rise and SMT 5

Around the Network

Yes, of course. Physical game rentals are dying out drastically and have been for a long time.
I'd like to rent a game for a few days or so to see if I like it. I would especially like if short or smaller budget games had rentals since you're probably never going to play them again and you might save money in the long run.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Gamefly does exist.

But, sure, I'd like the ability to rent things. Although, the way the industry is going, it seems like a Gamepass like service is more likely.

It's called Gamepass. You rent for a year for many, get others for life. It's even better than a rental service.

Dulfite said:

It's called Gamepass. You rent for a year for many, get others for life. It's even better than a rental service.

Gamepass is for sure better than a rental service, however you count with publishers goodwill to don't remove their games from the service. As the time you have to play is limited, you maybe can miss some games that are removed from time to time

And I see services like Gamepass being more fragmented in future, just like now I have to pay HBO Max, Star Plus, Disney Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime every month :p

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Gamepass is for sure better than a rental service, however you count with publishers goodwill to don't remove their games from the service. As the time you have to play is limited, you maybe can miss some games that are removed from time to time

And I see services like Gamepass being more fragmented in future, just like now I have to pay HBO Max, Star Plus, Disney Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime every month :p

This!

Add to this regional differences and picky publishers and you could have every game you could ever want in your subscriptions - except those that you actually want or want to try out.

Absolutely. There are many games that either don't have demos or the demos are too short to actually know if you like the game. For example, I played Octopath Traveler Demo and I loved it. But it's not until you play for like 8-10 hours that you realise how utterly repetitive ans boring the story/level design cycle is.

If I had had the option to rent the game for like 5 bucks I would have saved 45 dolars.

So yeah, I would love to have the option

renting is dead money

The only way I would prefer to rent a game is if the "rent" function is available day 1 and if I choose to buy the game, it will give me a discount on the amount that I paid to rent it.

The thing is, a lot of games generally have deep discounts after a couple months of being released or they eventually go on a service like Gamepass. So renting a game that's been out for a while doesn't really benefit me very much. But if the function is available day 1, then I may bite. I also buy most of my games on PC where there is a refund system with certain restrictions such as playing under two hours.

So for me to go into the whole idea of renting for games, I'd have to like a game that I'd want to play for more than 2 hours but finish it in less than a week (as per OPs example) but also the game needs to be recently released otherwise it would either be on gamepass like service or likely be fairly cheap on a sale. I am starting to see why a lot of companies haven't bothered with the idea...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Cobretti2 said:

renting is dead money

Aren't digital games as a whole dead money?

if you're going to buy a game digitally, I'm sure some would rather pay $4-$7 to rent it out in case they don't like it. Better than shelling out $40-$70. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima