By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Bought Haven Studios

That was quick lol. Getting studios to work on Sony's live service games.

Around the Network
axumblade said:

It’s not quite as exciting as if they bought a more established studio but still going to be exciting to see what they bring to the table

Sony usually invest in studios that have an established history with them. That they bought Haven Studios without any title having been released under them probably indicates that what they’ve seen of their first project is impressive enough to give them confidence.

That, or Hermen fell for Raymond’s charms. ?

axumblade said:

It’s not quite as exciting as if they bought a more established studio but still going to be exciting to see what they bring to the table

Not as exciting but better imo because no established IPs or already successful developers are being snapped from the multiplatform space. 

Literally never heard of them. Must be small.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Makes sense. Better to acquire them now than after their first game releases since the cost may be higher and/or someone else might scoop them up.

Around the Network

Like Deviation and Firewalk, I expected these partnerships to end up as an acquisition if the game turned out well, but I'm surprised Sony pulled the trigger so quickly on this. Could be a mix of a promising project, a team that poached the best talent from Ubisoft, Jade Raymond's extensive history with PlayStation & being the former director of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs.

Not really excited for a multiplayer project but it is an area where Sony needs to strengthen their catalog.

twintail said:
PotentHerbs said:

Like Deviation and Firewalk, I expected these partnerships to end up as an acquisition if the game turned out well, but I'm surprised Sony pulled the trigger so quickly on this. Could be a mix of a promising project, a team that poached the best talent from Ubisoft, Jade Raymond's extensive history with PlayStation & being the former director of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs.

Not really excited for a multiplayer project but it is an area where Sony needs to strengthen their catalog.

I don't think Firewalk will. They're already owned by another company who has another 2 studios under their wing.

Feels like a more difficult individual purchase. 

Wait really? I thought they were a new studio like deviation and haven…

Not exited at all since we know its working on a service game. But I suppose they where probably adquire quite cheaply since sony help build them up and they yet to release anything.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

twintail said:
pitzy272 said:

Wait really? I thought they were a new studio like deviation and haven…

You're right! They are. But they already belong to Probably Monsters Studios, who incidentally have another 2 new studios - one of which is working on an RPG.

There's been some speculation/ hopes that Sony also works out a deal with the RPG team. But I don't know anything else beyond that. 

Interesting. Thank you for the education, good sir. Maybe Sony will just buy Probably Monsters. :)

TBH Sony buying teams in the live service area is good because it means we won't have any Fable Legends on our hands where one of the great developers is pressured into something trendy and ends up wasting years of their time on something bound to fail.