By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First and Possibly Last Annual VGChartz Best Videogame Music Tournament Nominations

I would have a hard time only nominating 3 songs from Final Fantasy 7.  Three songs from all of gaming is a hell of a challenge.  Here is what I'm picking though (and only 1 song from all of Final Fantasy).

1. Metroid Zero Mission - Opening Theme.  

2. Vampire Killer 
This iconic melody has appeared in a crapload of Castlevania games, but I'm picking the version from Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

3.  Aerith's Theme
I'm choosing the version from FF7 Remake.

Around the Network

How do you make it so that the video can appear directly in your post as opposed to just showing a link?

EDIT:

Last edited by Torpoleon - on 06 March 2022

Use the embed code from youtube and post it. Then after you post click edit, don't change anything, and hit submit again. Works for me, even if there's a better way. But, links are fine too.

Lots of great songs have yet to be nominated. Nominate them before it's too late!

JWeinCom said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Omg, I have no way of picking out three songs from Genshin Impact lol...

So I'll just nominate all of the Enkanomiya area for its skillfully done minimalist soundtrack!

Eh... no, need to choose specific songs.

But it's too hard, man! D:

Fine, I'll pick a peaceful yet dark one since people think I'm some agitator around here lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmBPmwAbmw&t=2043s

Honestly, Enkanomiya's music has this darkness to it hidden underneath its simplistic tunes that tells me this composer is highly skilled.  This music in and of itself isn't complex, but it so perfectly conveys the nature of the area as you traverse that it haunts you.  And I really don't think there's any other game right now with compositions THIS closely matched to its art style where I find the music is literally 50/50 with what makes the Enkanomiya region so interesting.

And, DARE I SAY, it's definitely beating Zelda in the music department and makes me want Nintendo to step up their music again!  I miss the good ol' Zelda music days, like the Hyrule Castle or Dark World theme from ALttP that both haunt me to this day as the first moment I started to care about videogame music!  Genshin gives me a reason to care about game music again, and I hate that people are so quick to dismiss the game since it's F2P and China-developed.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

So, I'm gonna keep this open for about a week, but if we don't get some more nominees, I may just quietly let it go. In the meantime, feel free to comment on other people's nominations to keep the topic bumped.

1. The Legend of Zelda Overworld Theme - A Link to the Past 

2. Fodlan Winds (Rain/Thunder Mix) - Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Forged in Fire - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 12 March 2022

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition Opening

Final Fantasy VII Remake Prelude

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Main Theme

Last edited by hinch - on 13 March 2022

shikamaru317 said:
JWeinCom said:

So, I'm gonna keep this open for about a week, but if we don't get some more nominees, I may just quietly let it go. In the meantime, feel free to comment on other people's nominations to keep the topic bumped.

The easiest way to get enough nominations to make it work would be to allow more than 3 nominations per user. Maybe let us each nominate another 3 songs/games. 

Two reasons I would rather not do that.

1. Since there's little overlap between the lists, that becomes an issue since bascially anything someone says will be nominated and I'll have to figure out a way to narrow that down.

2. If there's not a lot of interest, then I'm not sure I want to spend much time on this.

JWeinCom said:
shikamaru317 said:

The easiest way to get enough nominations to make it work would be to allow more than 3 nominations per user. Maybe let us each nominate another 3 songs/games. 

Two reasons I would rather not do that.

1. Since there's little overlap between the lists, that becomes an issue since bascially anything someone says will be nominated and I'll have to figure out a way to narrow that down.

2. If there's not a lot of interest, then I'm not sure I want to spend much time on this.

Since it's looking fairly unlikely at this point that a ton of songs will recieve more than one vote even if several more people voted, I doubt it would be viable to pick entries based on which get the "most" nominations. I think the alternatives are either including everything in an uneven (and quite large) bracket or for there to be some sort of "elimination round" before the tournament itself.

For example it could be set up in a Google Forms where people can pick 5 or 10 songs they want to advance (since people would presumably pick those they nominated themselves, it would definitely have to be more than 3) and then the top 64 or 32 songs make it to the tournament. Example:

Don't mind the red lines, my browser isn't set up in english.

Edit: Picking up to 10 songs might be best since otherwise a handful of the best known songs could soak up the few votes people don't put on their own nominees, leaving most songs with 1 vote anyways.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 12 March 2022

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat