By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First and Possibly Last Annual VGChartz Best Videogame Music Tournament Nominations

Forums are a little dead, so I thought I'd pitch in by doing something message boards are uniquely suited for, a good old fashioned tournament. In this tournament we will be deciding on the favorite composition of video game music.

Rules for nominations are very simple. You may nominate up to three pieces of music from any game of your choice. The only rule is the the song must have originated in a videogame. Originally I was going to say it simply had to be in a video game, but then something like Let it Go could win the whole thing, which would defeat the purpose. And it must be the version that appeared in the game so no covers, although that might also be something to do in the future. 

I'm thinking the top 64 nominees will make it to the big time. So go ahead and nominate your three favorite gaming songs. If possible, please include a link to the song. The order you nominate in makes no difference, each nomination will be worth one point. Only post once, and if you want to change your choices edit that post to avoid confusion. I think I'll give two weeks for the nomination process, but I might do more or less depending on what kind of action the topic is getting.

So hop to it. ^_^

Around the Network

Reserved

For my nominees, I'll go with...

Hard to choose between this, Megalovania, and Battle Against a True Hero. But I made my choice.

So serene and relaxing. 

The fact that such a banger could be made with chiptunes is amazing. Definitely puts you in the mood to **** up a mad scientist.

I'm not going to tally them up until later, so you can change them later so no need to worry about posting too early and then remembering your favorite song. Feel free to edit them later... but please don't edit it just because everyone else is picking your song and you want to get a dark horse candidate in ^_^

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 03 March 2022

Alright then, not sure if they're my definitive top 3 but these are the three songs I feel like nominating:

Also I'm gonna have to pull a page from mZuzek's book and list a bunch of honorable mentions:

I could list a bunch from Persona 5 and Undertale as well, but I'm sure they'll be mentioned plenty.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Considering how much I've written about video game music for the site I think I have to participate here. Let's try to narrow this down to three songs then.

1. You're Not Alone (Final Fantasy IX) My favourite track from my favourite score of all time.

2. A Beautiful Song (Nier: Automata) One of the most memorable songs from the what is in my opinion the best video game soundtrack of the last ten years.

3. The Opened Way (Shadow of the Colossus) I couldn't not pick something from SotC.

Last edited by Darashiva - on 04 March 2022

I'm not going to make 'honorable mentions' and potentially spoil picks for other people. As far as I'm aware we have other threads for sharing video game music in general and that doesn't seem to be the aim of this thread. OP is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll be the Nobuo Uematsu fanboy here and nominate Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI:

I'll also nominate To Zanarkand (Final Fantasy X) as well:

And I'll give a shoutout to another composer with Coeur de Pirate's wonderful Aurora's Theme from Child of Light:

I'll leave it to someone else to nominate One Winged Angel (we all know it's happening)

Signature goes here!

I'm in!

"Stickerbush Symphony", Donkey Kong Country 2

"Halo Theme", Halo: Combat Evolved

"Terra's Theme", Final Fantasy VI

Exceeding Love from Suikoden III because sure why not 

Sealed Vessel theme from Hollow Knight.

Corridors of time from Chrono Trigger

3 is way too little tho. I have like, 10 Final Fantasy songs coming.