By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

DragonFire is a British 50+ kW power laser weapon. Development of the weapon began in 2018, led by leading UK companies such as: MBDA UK, Leonardo UK and QinetiQ Group.

The system was designed to destroy drones, but now the British military command sees it as a powerful enough tool to intercept artillery ammunition, cruise missiles, and even ballistic missiles.

The weapon works by focusing 37 channels of 1.5kW laser beams, arranged in a hexagonal array, and combining them with mirrors to merge and amplify the power.

A huge advantage of the system over classical air and missile defense systems is its low cost of operation: according to the British Ministry of Defense, the cost of a shot is around £10 (about UAH 496). By comparison, the cost of modern anti-aircraft missiles can range up to several million dollars per unit.

In March 2024, the British Ministry of Defense showed the results of one of the DragonFire tests, during which the system successfully intercepted a quadcopter and an artillery mine.

The maximum range of destruction of air targets remains unknown. During the tests, the system destroyed a drone and caused an artillery mine to explode in less than five seconds.

The radiation from the power plant is invisible and silent, as the beam wavelength is 1 micron. It is close to the infrared spectrum of light, and therefore invisible to the human eye.

It is noted that the newest laser system had high accuracy: it could hit a coin at a distance of one kilometer.

Matt Cork, a project manager at DSTL, said that DragonFire might be handed over for “user experimentation” to a number of army personnel in September. The terrestrial version of DragonFire is still intended as a ground-based air defense technology and will be mounted on a truck, at which point British Army experts will give feedback on how it could be improved and highlight any problems.

The UK plans to transfer DragonFire laser weapon to Ukraine - Militarnyi

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

DragonFire is a British 50+ kW power laser weapon. Development of the weapon began in 2018, led by leading UK companies such as: MBDA UK, Leonardo UK and QinetiQ Group.

The system was designed to destroy drones, but now the British military command sees it as a powerful enough tool to intercept artillery ammunition, cruise missiles, and even ballistic missiles.

The weapon works by focusing 37 channels of 1.5kW laser beams, arranged in a hexagonal array, and combining them with mirrors to merge and amplify the power.

A huge advantage of the system over classical air and missile defense systems is its low cost of operation: according to the British Ministry of Defense, the cost of a shot is around £10 (about UAH 496). By comparison, the cost of modern anti-aircraft missiles can range up to several million dollars per unit.

In March 2024, the British Ministry of Defense showed the results of one of the DragonFire tests, during which the system successfully intercepted a quadcopter and an artillery mine.

The maximum range of destruction of air targets remains unknown. During the tests, the system destroyed a drone and caused an artillery mine to explode in less than five seconds.

The radiation from the power plant is invisible and silent, as the beam wavelength is 1 micron. It is close to the infrared spectrum of light, and therefore invisible to the human eye.

It is noted that the newest laser system had high accuracy: it could hit a coin at a distance of one kilometer.

Matt Cork, a project manager at DSTL, said that DragonFire might be handed over for “user experimentation” to a number of army personnel in September. The terrestrial version of DragonFire is still intended as a ground-based air defense technology and will be mounted on a truck, at which point British Army experts will give feedback on how it could be improved and highlight any problems.

The UK plans to transfer DragonFire laser weapon to Ukraine - Militarnyi

It is close to the infrared spectrum of light, and therefore invisible to the human eye.

Ah Bollocks, that's a shame...

Don't think I've read about any other experimental tech the UK is donating tbh, but hopefully it's at least observable by the human eye, want some pyrotechnics for our money! 

Ukraine already got very new tech. As example Iris-T which Ukraine got before Germany got it themselves. TRML-4D radar, they also got SurveilSpire, Skynex and the best reconnaissance drones Germany has and I'm sure Ukraine also got some new tech from many other countries.

They just don't get enough of anything and it should maybe only be placed where it won't fall in Russia's hands after some land advances but I think not much speaks against giving Ukraine a lot of new stuff to protect their airfields, factories, power plants and obviously their cities overall

I'll believe it when I see it.

Russia uses every day, week and month to inflict significant damage. Unfortunately, assistance to Ukraine is still limited, and the Russian state still has access to critical components needed to produce missiles and drones.

Each missile targeting Ukraine contains at least dozens of components – electronics, chips – supplied by companies from other countries and imported through the territory of Russia's neighbors. The "Shahed" drones also contain components produced in the free world. All of this must and can be stopped: the connivance at terror, the ability of terrorists to seek accomplices around the world, and all forms of Russian terror itself.

Modern aviation proves its effectiveness, modern air defense systems are capable of protecting lives – this was demonstrated in the Middle East when aviation and air defense shot down Iranian missiles and "Shahed" drones aimed at Israel.

The whole world sees what real defense is. It sees that it is feasible.

Around the Network

🙄🙄🙄

I have always liked Gen. David Petraeus.

Petraeus says Iran attack is a ‘very big deal’

Former CIA Director David Petraeus called the Iranian attack on Israel a “very big deal” in an interview Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Well, it is significant. It’s a very big deal. And I think Israel will have to take some action in response, I think it’s very clear that the U.S. would like to see that be as limited as is possible. Keep in mind that the real issue here, in addition to Israel’s security, of course, which is first and foremost, but it’s also about freedom of navigation from the Gulf or the oil and gas that come from the Gulf and fuel much of the global economy,” he continued.

Petraeus said he thinks it’s in everyone’s interest not to continue escalating the situation, noting Iran likely wants to be careful to preserve freedom of navigation in the Gulf, since they export more than a million barrels of oil each day and likely do not want to interfere with that.

“That’s the biggest issue here. And Iran, I don’t think, wants to have that disrupted either, because they export about 1.6 or 1.7 million barrels a day themselves. So, keep your eye on that. Brent Crude is already above $90 a barrel, and it would really spike if there was something that interfered with freedom of navigation,” he said. “In, fact we need to figure out what’s going on. Iran did take a ship the other day that they claimed was in some way dealing with Israel.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/petraeus-says-iran-attack-is-a-very-big-deal/ar-BB1lBLRn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2f11c4caaa3740238abe2a73a3e42d9e&ei=52

It looks like Iran's counter attack is getting the aid bill moving, at least for Israel :/

Biden urges US House to pass bill with $14bn for Israel

The US president has urged the leaders of the House of Representatives and Senate to pass a bill that includes $14bn for Israel in a phone call to discuss the US response to Iran’s attacks on Israel.

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson who was on the Biden call told Fox News that Republicans “understand the necessity of standing with Israel” and that he would try to advance the spending package this week.

The Biden administration has been pressing the Republican-controlled House  to pass the sweeping $95bn US national security supplemental spending package, which includes $14bn in aid for Israel, since February.

Biden doesn't want to escalate the war in the Middle East, but wants to give Israel everything it wants to continue escalating the situation. Hopefully Ukraine gets the benefits of this renewed push to arm Israel further.

As for Zelenskyy, he does good at home but just another hypocrite on the international stage. He has his hands full though, I don't blame him for not having the time to see what his 'partner' is up to while fighting Russian's armed with Iranian weapons.

Zelenskyy condemns Iranian attack, says Ukraine needs help, like Israel

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has stated in a post on X that “Iran’s actions threaten the entire region and the world, just as Russia’s actions threaten a larger conflict, and the obvious collaboration between the two regimes in spreading terror must face a resolute and united response from the world”.

Speaking later in his nightly video address, the Ukrainian president said the world had seen that “Israel was not alone in its defence – the threats in the sky were also destroyed by its allies”. “And when Ukraine says allies cannot turn a blind eye to Russian missiles and drones, it means that it is necessary to act, and act strongly,” Zelenskyy said.

Ukraine’s skies, he added, were “not protected by rhetoric”.

Zelenskyy has urged Ukraine’s Western allies, particularly the United States, for months to summon the “political will” to provide Ukraine with sufficient air defences and weaponry.

In September 2022, Zelenskyy said he was “in shock” at Israel’s failure to give Kyiv anti-missile systems to help counter Russian attacks. The Ukrainian government has been a strong supporter of Israel during its war in Gaza, despite many critics pointing to what they perceive to be the hypocrisy of decrying Russian occupation of Ukrainian territory while supporting Israel as it occupies Palestinian territory.

Ironically Iran is now summoning the "political will" to get more military aid flowing.

SvennoJ said:

Biden urges US House to pass bill with $14bn for Israel

As for Zelenskyy, he does good at home but just another hypocrite on the international stage. He has his hands full though, I don't blame him for not having the time to see what his 'partner' is up to while fighting Russian's armed with Iranian weapons.

Zelenskyy condemns Iranian attack, says Ukraine needs help, like Israel

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has stated in a post on X that “Iran’s actions threaten the entire region and the world, just as Russia’s actions threaten a larger conflict, and the obvious collaboration between the two regimes in spreading terror must face a resolute and united response from the world”.

Speaking later in his nightly video address, the Ukrainian president said the world had seen that “Israel was not alone in its defence – the threats in the sky were also destroyed by its allies”. “And when Ukraine says allies cannot turn a blind eye to Russian missiles and drones, it means that it is necessary to act, and act strongly,” Zelenskyy said.

In September 2022, Zelenskyy said he was “in shock” at Israel’s failure to give Kyiv anti-missile systems to help counter Russian attacks. The Ukrainian government has been a strong supporter of Israel during its war in Gaza, despite many critics pointing to what they perceive to be the hypocrisy of decrying Russian occupation of Ukrainian territory while supporting Israel as it occupies Palestinian territory.

I've just thought about something that has annoyed me more, when this bill is passed which includes aid for Ukraine and Israel, only Ukraine's portion of the aid will be a loan and not Israel's, Lol. The Republicans screaming about how much this costs them (incorrectly) so Ukraine's aid must be a loan but they're perfectly okay with spaffing away $14bn for Israel, a country which already has some of the most modern technology in the world and has western countries rushing to its aid with fighter jets unlike Ukraine. Surely they see that Ukraine needs the money far more than Israel does? So either they both should be loans or neither should be a loan.

As for Zelenskyy, I don't blame him, I'm sure he sees what Israel is doing in Gaza but when you're fighting for your life you don't get to be picky in who your allies are, I hate Israel's government but if I were in Zelenskyy's position I too would be trying to charm them, Israel has some of the best AD in the entire world and if they could share even a little bit of that with Ukraine, that would be amazing for Ukrainians. It's a bit like Republicans, if I was in Zelenskyy's position I sure as shit wouldn't be speaking about Republicans like I do in here, he has to try and play nice to practically everyone because the lives of every Ukrainian are in his hands, he has been insanely patient with Republicans and I'm sure behind the scenes he is infuriated by them.

While I'm no fan of Israel/Netanyahu and I believe Iran had a right to respond after Israel bombed an Iranian consulate in Syria, something they didn't even tell America they were going to do because they knew how fucked it was, that doesn't change that Iran also is a terrorist regime backing terrorist proxies Hezbollah and Houthis. Hezbollah, Houthis, Iran, Israel, Hamas, none of them actually give a shit about the innocent Palestinians, they just want their little fights and to wipe each other off the face of the Earth. Just because ISIS hates Russia doesn't make them good for example. They're all just a bunch of religious fanatics and Netanyahu needs his wars going to remain in power. Not to mention Iran violated the airspace of Jordan.

Plus Iran is supplying Russia to kill Ukrainians while Israel sits on the fence like a coward but Ukraine has no benefit at all in calling out Israel and every benefit in trying to charm them, whether it is making comparisons to what they're both going through, to the fact that they're both a large Jewish community, to the fact that the West should defend Ukraine the same way it does Israel, you can see a little frustration in his words sometimes but he has to play this very carefully, Ukraine showing support to Israel may in turn result in Israel showing support to Ukraine and he even uses the recent attack to point out Western hypocrisy in a small way when he says about Israel not being alone and Western allies must not turn a blind eye to Russia.

Leave it to us to call out Israel, Republicans, etc. Zelenskyy needs to balance a fine line.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 April 2024

That community note tho.