By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Putin's kleptocracy is being brought to justice. 100 Russian oligarchs that form Russia's ruling elite are being audited and their assets frozen.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

I like this. Canada may not have much trade with Russia (about $1.2B in 2020 as per the article linked in the tweet) so it's an easy move for us. Yet it put pressure on other country to follow suit. Now no Nation could say they've done everything they could if they don't follow suit with this.

Ryuu96 said:

Annoying for gamers, and... trouble for businesses? That said, piracy might solve this problem partially, but the services might be harder to replace.

Ryuu96 said:

That's two of the biggest smartphone sellers out, right? Might hurt a bit, although I imagine some of the big Chinese companies won't be pulling out so soon.

You know there are actual news sites like Reuters or other reputable sources. I know this war is breaking but Twitter isn't the best source. I'll just excuse myself from this thread and I hope best for Ukraine but really fuck twitter...

sethnintendo said:

You know there are actual news sites like Reuters or other reputable sources. I know this war is breaking but Twitter isn't the best source. I'll just excuse myself from this thread and I hope best for Ukraine but really fuck twitter...

Reuters posts on Twitter.

Around the Network

Wondering what Americans are thinking about all this? A new survey of Americans by Reuters and Ipsos conducted since the invasion began has now been released and the results couldn't be any more clear: while most Americans are still against sending in our troops to support the Ukrainian army, they unequivocally, and in a bipartisan manner, favor doing anything and everything short of that that we can possibly do to stop the Russian invasion and support the resistance of the Ukrainian people thereto.

72% of Americans support sending weapons to Ukraine (which we're doing, but could be doing a whole lot more of).

74% favor the U.S. and other NATO countries establishing no-fly zones in Ukraine to stop Russian bombings like Ukrainian President Zelensky has requested. The White House has explicitly ruled this option out on the grounds that such a step risks widening the war.

77% say the United States should seize the assets of Russian oligarchs associated with Vladimir Putin, which is a step President Biden announced we will indeed be pursuing during his State of the Union Address on Monday.

80% of Americans say the United States should stop buying Russian oil, period, and 62% say they're furthermore willing to pay higher prices for gasoline to make this step possible, up from 51% shortly before the invasion. This is an especially serious punitive step the administration clearly has a public mandate to take without risk of widening the war that it so far has refused to take. Let's go Brandon.

81% support imposing tougher sanctions on Russia in general, up from 77% earlier this week.

These positions, moreover, are all remarkably bipartisan in nature. Broad majorities of both Republicans and Democrats alike favor each and every one of these steps. There is just one exception to this rule:

Only 45% of Americans approve of President Biden's overall handling of the crisis, although this is notably up from just 34% last week, suggesting that, as the president has taken stronger actions against Russia, support for the administration's position has increased. The data here also pretty clearly implies what the path is to majority approval: the public wants stronger action taken, even if it means paying a price here at home. Support for stronger action in general appears to literally be growing by the day.

Ryuu96 said:

Lets also take Rubio as an example, a bit of a knob, I wouldn't have used him until someone pointed out to me that he works as the Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee so as a result he would 100% know stuff and his words do hold more weight than usual.

I did wonder why you kept posting his tweets. 

The Western media is so dishonest in its cheerleading Ukraine to fight to the last man.
Russia has cut off access to the sea.
Planes delivering aid to Ukraine will be shot down. Send aid by land and Russian troops will stop that.
Russian troops have the cities surrounded by tanks and soldiers with rocket launchers. Backed by air force strikes and missiles from Russia.
Ukraine must save the losses and surrender.

Phoenix20 said:

The Western media is so dishonest in its cheerleading Ukraine to fight to the last man.
Russia has cut off access to the sea.
Planes delivering aid to Ukraine will be shot down. Send aid by land and Russian troops will stop that.
Russian troops have the cities surrounded by tanks and soldiers with rocket launchers. Backed by air force strikes and missiles from Russia.
Ukraine must save the losses and surrender.

We think so differently!

One thing Joe Biden said in his State of the Union Address this week is true: Russia will never win the hearts of the Ukrainian people. They can take the cities, but the war will never end until they leave. That's just a fact. The only question is whether and to what extent we're going to support the Ukrainian people's resistance.

This is not simply a fight for Ukraine, it's, as the thread title suggests, a flashpoint for the future of Europe itself. There's no way in hell Russia will just stop marching after capturing Ukraine. That's why Moscow is already threatening other European countries right now!

Matter-of-factly, I've been hearing about the international legion Ukraine has recently set up and have been giving the idea of joining serious consideration. Honestly, I have nothing and no one to live for anyway. I feel like that's one way I could make my life have some kind of meaning at least and if I die, I die. It might be a losing endeavor, but it's a cause worth fighting for anyway. It's not like anyone will miss me. I'd been thinking of leaving the U.S. for a while now anyway, but this, the outbreak of most serious war we've seen launched on the European continent since the Second World War, provides the most compelling reason to I've seen yet. Right now, I like and respect Zelensky and the Ukrainians -- the real leaders of the free world today -- a lot more than Americans and our leaders.

Ryuu96 said:
sethnintendo said:

What specifically do you take issue with? Sure, I have used some independent journalists (a few are on location in Ukraine) but the majority of what I do post comes from either someone who works at a company which is generally considered a reputable news publication or straight up links to those sites via the Tweet.

I'll take the last page as an example, so we start with a video of Zelenskyy talking to demonstrators, can disregard that, doesn't need a reputable site, we can see it for ourselves, then we go down the list and I have...

WSJ, Business Insider, a translation of something which comes directly from Ukraine's Armed Forces, Gordon who is a journalist for BBC, a BBC News article, a Reuters article, Hugo who works for I News, Mediazona which is a Russian news site, a journalist for Bloomberg, a Financial Times article, Olga who is an independent journalist but just posting a video anyway so meh, Cliff who works for NY Times, someone just translating what Zelenskyy said, Nolan who has been a war reporter in Ukraine since 2014, Gavin who is California's Governor, Julie who works for NBC News, a Hollywood Reporter article, Ben who works for NBC News, Mark who works for Bloomberg, etc.

I do use some independent journalists but as I said above, a few of them are on location in Ukraine and seem fairly reputable thus far, I've tossed out most of those who haven't been, I usually often check a Tweeter's bio too to see who they work for, their verification, how many followers they have, etc. Which aren't all accurate measures of reliability but I don't believe it has let me down too much so far.

I'll go another page back and we have Jack who works for Foreign Policy, Phil who works for Reuters, Dave who is just sourcing Bloomberg, Felix who works for MoscowTimes but the photo comes from Ukraine's parliament, Foreign Policy Jack again, someone sourcing Reuters, Walter Bloomberg who I believe is essentially an RSS feed for Bloomberg, The Washington Post, an independent journalist, Reuters Phil again, UK Government, WSJ reporter.

I fricken hate twitter, maybe because I am getting old and don't like the layout of it lol, however I greatly appreciate you posting good summaries and updates from it to this site which for me is easier to follow and read.

At the end of the day Ii am sure some tweets/or even articles on reputable sites will have some misinformation, but that will be more from young interns just copying someone without checking the source and not a malicious intent to try and deceive.