By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 November 2022

Around the Network

Here is another thought.

Human Error? All it takes is someone to punch in the wrong degrees (and not many) and instead of hitting Ukraine it hits Poland. Are there any places in Ukraine along the same longitude that were worth hitting for Russia to cause major damage to the power grid?

If human error is the case you got to wonder how much trained military Russia has left.

Hopefully it doesn't start WW3 but rather forces Russia to rethink that it could and pull out of Ukraine.

Edit - It was nothing.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 November 2022

Cobretti2 said:

Here is another thought.

Human Error? All it takes is someone to punch in the wrong degrees (and not many) and instead of hitting Ukraine it hits Poland. Are there any places in Ukraine along the same longitude that were worth hitting for Russia to cause major damage to the power grid?

If human error is the case you got to wonder how much trained military Russia has left.

Hopefully it doesn't start WW3 but rather forces Russia to rethink that it could and pull out of Ukraine.

It certainly is a human error or malfunction. After all we did witness in the past a russian missile do a complete 180° and fall right back where it was launched. Also Russia stupidity would reach new height if they willfully poke Nato with missile. But if that's the case, it falls on Russia to come clean asap offer condolence, apologies, offer reparation and/or concession and reassure Poland that it would not happen again. But all they do is to deny the incident, which can only be interpreted as bad faith from them.

However in the end it does not really matters. Poland security is not assured and a repeat of the incident is possible. Also the missile hit 15km deep inside poland. How much citizen are now at risk?

While I agree a direct conflict should be avoided here. It is reasonable for Nato to take defensive action. This incident might be the one that will push Nato to finaly close Ukraine sky.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 15 November 2022

Unfortunate if true, since it's a Russian produced missile then it would likely be the S-300 (operated by both Russia & Ukraine but Russian made) which was fired at an incoming Russian cruise missile, missed its target, veered off course and landed into Poland, since it's Russian made I'd assume there's no failsafe or it simply broke.

Nevertheless, if these findings are true, I hope Ukraine isn't defensive because they have no reason to worry, it's still fully Russia's fault, Ukraine never would have had to fire an anti-missile system if Russia wasn't throwing cruise missiles all across Ukraine, especially at non-military infrastructure and close to the Poland's border.

NATO still needs to respond, firstly by supplying Ukraine with even more anti-missile systems, I'm not saying they can't have failures like Russian produced ones can but so far, everything we've seen in this war is Western equipment significantly outperforming Russian equipment on a quality basis so providing Ukraine with even more AA will decrease the odds of this happening again in the future.

And secondly to decrease it further, they should be sending Ukraine better equipment all round, such as more modern jets, tanks and better missile systems such as ATACMS so we can end this war on a quicker timescale, the faster it ends, the better for the whole world, not just Poland but now especially Poland.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 November 2022

Around the Network

And Russia is immediately back to lobbing missiles all over Ukraine.

Ryuu96 said:

Unfortunate if true, since it's a Russian produced missile then it would likely be the S-300 (operated by both Russia & Ukraine but Russian made) which was fired at an incoming Russian cruise missile, missed its target, veered off course and landed into Poland, since it's Russian made I'd assume there's no failsafe or it simply broke.

I find this scenario somewhat problematic. The incoming rocket was on a ballistsic course towards the target inside the Ukraine, the outgoing rocket was an outgoing interception balliistic course. If that rocket missed the target, it would have to essentially make a 180 in the air and still have enough fuel left to reach Poland. I find this highly unlikely, so some crucial information is missing here.

drkohler said:
Ryuu96 said:

I find this scenario somewhat problematic. The incoming rocket was on a ballistsic course towards the target inside the Ukraine, the outgoing rocket was an outgoing interception balliistic course. If that rocket missed the target, it would have to essentially make a 180 in the air and still have enough fuel left to reach Poland. I find this highly unlikely, so some crucial information is missing here.

You're probably overestimating how far into Poland it went.

S-300 is a long-range surface to air missile system and that distance is within range of almost all its ammo capabilities and I placed that distance right in the middle of Lviv but there's likely a few sitting around Lviv too, thus it could be even closer.

We've had countless examples during this war of how shit Russian engineering is and Russian missiles being fired from Russian controlled territory (or Russia itself), turning back and hitting Russians. When Russia is lobbing near hundreds of missiles at the country, a few countermeasures will fail and especially it seems, Russian made ones.

Only thing is that I thought these things would have fail safes, I.E., blowing itself up in case it misses a target, but it could be either that the S-300 doesn't have any failsafe measure (wouldn't exactly be a surprise) or it failed (also wouldn't be a surprise).

We also don't know in which direction the missile was fired from, I.E., if it was fired from Belarus then it may have been heading South down towards Ukraine and Ukraine would have to fire North to intercept which would put Ukraine's S-300 missile closer to the Polish border and closer to the village, it could have missed the missile entirely and just continued heading North until it eventually fell into the village.

Not all missiles fired from Russia itself would head in the exact same direction either, so it's not even necessarily true that the S-300 missile would have had to do a 180 if the missiles were fired from Russia.

At least we can tell the truth, Lol. It should show to all those Western idiots that there is a difference between the West and Russia. We could have easily claimed that it was Russia who fired the missile as Russia would do if they were in our shoes, they continue to blame NATO for absolutely everything, but we didn't because it apparently wasn't.

NATO and Poland say it was likely a Ukrainian air defence missile (S-300) and that Russia is to blame as they are the reason for the air defences being active. They do not seem to lay any blame onto Ukraine and rightfully so. Hopefully this means even more support for Ukraine from NATO to end this war quicker.