By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

I wanted to share this message here, just in case there's Russian people reading this thread. A strong and impactful speech to you from finnish MP. It's in russian with english caption.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

I knew Russia was sending young conscripts as cannon fodder in the eastern front but that much disregard with paratroopers is baffling.

I don't think Putin has ever been a leader in a war where the other side was actually capable of fighting back. He also didn't serve in the Russian Army. He was a KGB agent, although my understanding is that the KGB was governed under Soviet military law. I wonder what he did during the Soviet invasion of Afghan, which also ended up being a disaster for Russia.

this will be a long and critical night for Ukraine, we can only pray that they can keep holding on

hopefully the weapons sent from the West can get there, and on time

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 26 February 2022

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

SegaHeart said:
SanAndreasX said:

Ukraine was never anywhere close to joining NATO before. If anything, this invasion makes a stronger case for them joining NATO now, along with Finland and Sweden.

Putin is scapegoating NATO. From the beginning of his 23 years in power (including the 4 years where he administered the government through Dmitry Medvedev), Putin has dreamed of rebuilding the Russian Empire. In a speech in 2005, he called the dissolution of the USSR the greatest tragedy of the 20th Century. He's been in constant aggression against his neighbors. He's also tried to destabilize NATO at every opportunity.  He never recognized the legitimacy of the Ukrainian government. He has said that Ukraine is rightfully a part of Russia based on shared language and history, even though the Ukrainians are a distinct ethnicity from the Russians with their own language, traditions, and history. He has called Ukraine (and other countries that formerly made up the Soviet Union) artificial countries created by the fall of the USSR. He has already annexed Ukrainian territory on the Crimean peninsula. When he made his declaration of intent to invade Ukraine, he barely mentioned NATO. 

If Ukraine had a puppet leader like Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Putin might leave them alone. But to what end? Why should Ukraine obey Putin?

Furthermore, if Putin is allowed to take Ukraine unchallenged, it opens the door for a lot more horror. The Baltic republics would likely be next. What about Poland, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, who are the next countries in line on the borders of Belarus and Ukraine? What about Finland, which sits right near St. Petersburg?

And just as important, would Putin's successes in Europe embolden Beijing to use force to bring Taiwan under its control? 

We are walking a fine line here. Directly attacking Russia would trigger World War III, which would put everybody in danger from Russia's nuclear warheads and 600 million military-eligible Chinese citizens. So we are providing materiel support to Ukraine while cutting off Russia's access to the global economy. The Ukrainians themselves are fighting like hell because they don't want to be ruled by Russia. Ukraine's president is on the front lines along with his people, having said several times that he is willing to die for his country. But we also cannot let Russia and China impose their will on people who don't want to surrender their sovereignty.  If Putin does attack a NATO member, we are obligated to respond in kind.  It is better for if we can help the Ukrainians hold their own long enough for the Russians to decide that Ukraine is not worth the loss of blood and treasure that Russia can't really afford to lose.

Believe me, nobody except Putin wants this war. And if it continues to be a disaster for Russia, Putin is going to wish he'd never started the war. 

I bolded that paragraph that got me thinking It's best Noone attacks a Country that actually has Nuclear warheads (Atom Bombs) like USA and China in their soil , Also It's great that we help the Ukrainians , Putin should call this off looking at the final bolded sentence It's not worth for Russia treasure/Money I think? was the last sentence of the bolded about money? I think so?

Yes. And so far, the Ukrainians have been holding their own against Russia. The Ukrainians also defeated a Chechen mercenary force decisively enough that the Chechens withdrew from the operation. Considering that the Chechen leader has even fewer scruples than Putin, that's a huge thing. 

I concur with what others have said. This thread may be rather upsetting for you, in which case I apologize for drawing you back in. That said, if you do engage in this thread, take heart from the spirit of the Ukrainian people as they fight for their homeland. This, folks, is what courage looks like.

I would also like to re-emphasize what others have said by saying that at this point, it looks like we are avoiding a global conflict. Russia is pretty much on its own here. So it looks like you will be free to pursue your dreams of seeing the world. :)

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Do you think that was a FOAB?

The two news sites I follow with live feeds on the invasion have posted nothing in the past hour bar the swift payment block. This was after posting news that massive air raids and missile strikes were anticipated within minutes.
This feels concerning to say the least.

Can someone tell me what's the point of all those sanctions targeting people who have nothing to do with putin. To me it's as evil as anything else. So they hurt other people thinking it's going to effecr putin? All they're doing , if successful, is going to piss offputin further. He won't go down without nuclear warfare. This is going to end terribly for everyone, and all for what? Now that they failed to prevent an invasion which they could have easily, now it's going to be trying to prevnt nuclear war.

Hiku said:

Kazakstan refuses to send troops to Ukraine

Note - I’m not reposting that picture as its way too big.

If true, interesting that Russia felt the need to ask Kazakstan for military support. Is it trying to build a coalition for political purposes, unwilling to commit more of its own troops or is it overstretched?

I stumbled upon this earlier, apparently Putin is very madge.

Spoiler!

Also this...

Spoiler!