By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted movie doing well al the box office

shikamaru317 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Lol physicality of a 15 ...

Well, Tom is 5'8" compared to game Drake being estimated at 5'11"-6'1", and you can tell Tom is less broad in the chest and shoulders than game Drake as well.

There is a reason why Tom has been able to convincingly play a teenage Spider-Man even though Tom is in his mid 20's now, and that is because he has both a baby face and a small frame for an adult male.

It’s unbelievable how shallow and superficial you are.

Around the Network

God forbid someone has his own opinion about how Holland doesn't fit as Nathan Drake at all. What's next? Making fun about someone who thinks Parson shouldn't be the next Conan?

Nathan Fillion will be 51 next month and doesn't have the star power of Holland. If anyone has seen the recent episodes of The Rookie, the guy can barely run and looks like shit doing it.

shikamaru317 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Nathan Fillion will be 51 next month and doesn't have the star power of Holland. If anyone has seen the recent episodes of The Rookie, the guy can barely run and looks like shit doing it.

Did just fine in that Uncharted fan movie a few years ago, everyone loved that, people saying he nailed game Drake's personality and mannerisms perfectly, while also looking alot more like game Drake in face and build than Tom Holland. Yes he is a bit old now, I agree there which is precisely why Sony should have made this movie back in the late 2000's when Avi Arad first said he was exploring making an Uncharted movie, and when Nathan Fillion had more name recognition from being on Castle (a show with 10-12m viewers on most of it's seasons). Nathan Fillion expressed interest in playing the character way back in 2009 and he and his fans waged a Twitter campaign to be cast as Drake, but Sony delayed the movie constantly until Fillion aged past the character, one of Sony Pictures greatest failings imo.

I do think that Fillion is still convincing enough in his early 50's that they could have got at least 2 Uncharted movies with an older Drake out of him before needing to do a prequel series with a younger actor.

You are further demonstrating what I said about you is right. You base this all on looks. Call this one of Sony Pictures biggest failing for not greenlighting the movie the moment it was first discussed, as if the "delays" couldn’t have been justified.

This movie is an origin story. It is absolutely normal for Nathan Drake to look young, because guess what? He is supposed to be young at this point in his life. He isn’t supposed to be as buff as he is during his 30s early 40s like he is in the game. That you fail to grasp this simple fact 

And… Twitter campaign for Nathan Fillion? Really? Those are mostly filled with people like you. A self-entitled vocal minority. People wanted him because he looks like Drake. I can agree that he does. That being said, if Sony wants to kickstart a movie franchise, starting from an origin story so people get on board with a movie series that’s easy to follow, he is too old and was borderline at the time for a single movie. But then, what happens for the sequels? He becomes less and less capable to do the physical work required for the role and becomes more prone to injuries. That’s totally normal Sony would want to cast a younger actor.

This is a live action movie. What you wanted is a CG animated movie with the character looking the exact same as they do in the games, voiced by the same actors. That would have been cool, I admit, but audiences at large prefer live action movies, so it is what it is. In the end, you keep passing many of yours arguments as facts, yet only cherry pick the portion of anecdotes that aligns with your ideas. Stop doing that.

You really need to work on your narrow-mind and realize there are many more than looks to the world.

Last edited by Hynad - on 22 February 2022

It was an entertaining movie, specially towards the end. I didn't feel at any moment that it was faithful to the games. I only completed the first one though. Also Tom Holland acts the same as Drake here as he does for Peter Parker, not a fan of that cast.

Around the Network

I'll probably watch it when it on tv, reviews while bad by critics as expected, are unexpectedly pretty high by audience scores.

I didn't think this would be another movie to break the video game adaptation Box Office curse but here we are ?
Sonic 2 about to deliver as well.
Hopefully Nintendo can deliver with the Mario movie. That would make 3 successful adaptation in a year. I think after that we will see a lot more projects being greenlight.

I'm a fan of Sony, Uncharted and Tom Holland and his Spider-Man, and I still think Tom is not the right casting for this. Well, maybe this first one, because he's young Drake here, but he is such a babyface with a boyish build even at 26 that he just doesn't capture what Nate would be later on. It's just not the right vibe, with the humor and everything. Fillion would have been a great choice, but he's too old now. Tom is the hottest thing right now, so obviously they are going to milk him for whatever they can get.
Based on the trailers and reviews and this being a video game movie, I thought this would flop, but if it's another success for Sony, I'm not complaining. All the more power to everyone involved, no hate.

$226 million WW after 10 days since launch.

It could end with more than 500 million since it hasn't released in China.

The choice of Tom H. as Drake was extremely safe/wise for Sony, they have another hit.

shika is right, Holland is a terrible Drake casting move. But Hollywood makes these casting decisions based on star power usually. Sure, Fillion would have been better, way better actually, but would it have generated the buzz of Holland? Nope.

Which, at the end of the day, would have been fine, had the movie not ended up being trash. Marky Mark as Sully is an even shittier casting choice imho but again, it’s about getting people to the theaters to see it, so I understand it.