By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch and PS5 Sales Drop, XS Sales are Flat - Global Hardware Jan 30-Feb 5

zero129 said:

Great sales. Love how pretty much every time the is a sales thread like this we get some Sony fans coming in saying how the numbers are off and PS5 numbers are not high enough, XBSS is not selling since its always in stock so the numbers have to be wrong etc.

I guess the NPDs are fans now. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Switch almost outsold PS5 and Xbox Series combined in Europe.

Next week will be pretty tough for Switch YoY. Last year Switch sold almost 500k because of the release of Super Mario 3D World.

Being down only 5% is pretty good.

I guess we can be satisfied with sales this year so far, when Switch is concerned anyway.

Hardcore gamers with 5000 dollar PCs who only play immersive sims in 4K 120FPS 24/7 still can't understand why some people might want to buy a Series S simply because it's the cheapest console out there and a lot of people either don't have a 4K TV or don't care about 4K. Tunnel vision, echo chamber, etc.

Pionner said:  
RolStoppable said:

There's not much of a point in fighting over PS5 sales on a regular basis. Sony announced that they plan to ship 2.0 million units this quarter, divided by 13 weeks you get 154k on average. When VGC shows right around that number globally, all you can complain about is the regional breakdown. But that's moot when any sales you want to be added somewhere have to be taken away elsewhere.

2.0m is a minimum figure, but this is the final quarter of the fiscal year. The margin of error is traditionally slim during this timeframe, so PS5 sell-through will remain modest for the time being. 

If you're going to base PS5 weekly numbers on the 2M estimate, then vgchartz will be doing some major adjustments in the coming weeks, months, leading up to the next financial report.

I don't think VGC has to worry about making adjustments because that's what constantly happens. "PS5 sales should be higher" has been a common theme through most of 2021, but the single-biggest adjustment to PS5 sales ended up being a downward adjustment.

Using Sony's 2m forecast is certainly a better point of reference for global sales than observing restocks in a single country. The few official sales numbers and tidbits we got from January suggest that Sony has been focusing on the USA early in the year while leaving parts of Europe dry. But there's no guarantee that that will be Sony's strategy through the entire quarter.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

UK JAN 2021

122,000 Hardware Sales (-18.4% YoY)

#1 NSW +35% YoY

#2 XBS (>50% was Series)

#3 PS5

mk7sx said:

UK JAN 2021

#1 NSW +35% YoY

#2 XBS (>50% was Series)

#3 PS5

I've already made adjustments based on this. We were pretty much spot on, which is nice to see. Switch was adjusted up 500 to match the +35% YoY. While, PS5 and XS were adjusted down 4,000 units combined, so we were at the 122,000 total for the month.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

mk7sx said:

UK JAN 2021

#1 NSW +35% YoY

#2 XBS (>50% was Series)

#3 PS5

I object to this sales report.  PS5 sales should be higher.

Bad news for the PS5 and XBOX Series X. The Switch on the other hand is powering through this late in its life.

Elputoxd said:

Hardcore gamers with 5000 dollar PCs who only play immersive sims in 4K 120FPS 24/7 still can't understand why some people might want to buy a Series S simply because it's the cheapest console out there and a lot of people either don't have a 4K TV or don't care about 4K. Tunnel vision, echo chamber, etc.

Hmm, i dont really see any PC gamers saying that (Me being one) just Sony fans in each sales thread.