By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - First Look at Amazon's LOTR: The Rings of Power

I'm happy they included the triforce

I thought i was going to get a trailer though...

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Something about it looks cheap.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Meh.
I wont let them spoil the memories inhave from tlotr movies.

They will never ever be as good as the movies.

It already looks crazy lame and cheap.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Looks like another low-key woke Amazon show. Hmm. Conflicted because I like LOTR and Hobbit but this looks kinda meh.. will wait for reviews first.

Idk seeing two black MC's in the front covers for Vanity and what it looks a strong female lead. Not that I care about ethnicity/sex in shows, though it does kind of feel like Amazon/Netflix mandate to add include of different ethnicity in shows like this and also a strong female lead. It sort of feels more like a checklist and to the numbers approach more than anything to appease the 'modern' audience. And that instantly kills some of the immersion for me. Besides that we haven't seen much non caucasian's in TLOR universe (no racism - I'm not even Caucasian).

Idk maybe I'm over-analyzing but from current trends, I'm keeping my expectations to a minimum. Hopefully its a decent show though.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 February 2022

Around the Network

I have no faith in woke remakes. But I'm a huge fan of Lotr. I'll probably wait until its over and see the reviews.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Ryuu96 said:
hinch said:

Looks like another low-key woke Amazon show. Hmm. Conflicted because I like LOTR and Hobbit but this looks kinda meh.. will wait for reviews first.

In what way does it look woke? Lol.

Also, I'm not understanding the cheap comments, it looks fine to me, especially the previously released image.

And also the character poster designs look nice from the small glimpses: LOTR: The Rings of Power Posters Reveal Sauron & 23 Characters

It definitely ain't cheap from a budget standpoint either.

Amazon won’t confirm the show’s budget, but on top of the money for the rights, the government of New Zealand has placed production expenditures at $462 million for the first season alone. That figure includes building infrastructure that will be used in later seasons—and it’s been offset by a $108 million tax rebate. But by contrast, Amazon’s recent fantasy series The Wheel of Time reportedly cost $80 million a season. Once you factor in the eventual global marketing campaign—and the cost of those subsequent seasons—there’s no question that The Rings of Power will eventually speed far beyond the billion-dollar mark.

Just looks like CGI.

OG LOTR films put years of work on models and handmade chainmail custom fit for every extra and actor. They spent the time to let plants grow naturally over the hobbit houses. Peter put as much detail into those LOTR films as Sakurai does Smash bros. This all looks fairly standard fair. I guess turning up the dusk filter makes it look more dramatic but eh not really. The hair on some of the elves seems almost modern. LOTS had more of a grit look to it and this looks too clean. The costumes look like cosplayers hired a photophrapher for their instagram. Devil is always in the details and outside of a ballooned budget I don't see the same work in the details and it makes it feel off.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ryuu96 said:
hinch said:

Idk seeing two black MC's in the front covers for Vanity and what it looks a female lead. Not that I care about ethnicity/sex in shows, though it does kind of feel like Amazon/Netflix mandate to add include of different ethnicity in shows like this and a strong female lead. It sort of feels more like a checklist than anything. And that instantly kills some of the immersion for me. Besides that we haven't seen much people of colour in TLOU universe (no racism - I'm not even Caucasian).

Sure feels like you're saying it's woke because it has black characters in it.

That strong female lead is Galadriel, I even bolded it, Lol. Galadriel is established in both the movies and by Tolkien himself as being extremely powerful and one of the greatest Elves in Middle-Earth, not just in knowledge but also power. She is also a bearer of one of the three Eleven rings of power, forged in secret away from Sauron after the initial forged rings.

She ain't just some nobody they plucked out of nowhere, Lol. She's one of the most well known Lord of the Rings characters.

There are black characters even in the Lord of the Rings films (The Haradrim) although they were all bad, there was even black people in The Hobbit. The Harfoots were a breed of Hobbits described by Tolkien as being browner skinned that normal Hobbits. There's also the Easterlings who were the first to be corrupted, many worshipped Melkor as God and deceived by Sauron though not all served him and not all served him willingly just like good people in the west were corrupted, Easterlings were corrupted for longer.

This is set during the 2nd age and the a war against Sauron which spreads across the whole of Middle-Earth which is a pretty massive place. The fact that it has a black character in the cast isn't woke at all.

Ngl not that into LOTR lore, only watched the movies and the Hobbit films. Just calling it as I'm seeing it. A 'badass' looking stoic female MC and a black Elf or Dwarf. Not seen the latter before in anything until now.. fits the woke theme alright :P

But anyways sorry for the derail. Carry on. It might be decent, or could be crap. Looking forward to the trailer.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 February 2022

The level of casual racism going on in here is astounding. If people are getting upset because black people are in a TV show, they might need to look at their priorities. Also seems overtly convenient to try to push religious connotation on a franchise who's creator is dead and cannot address those suggestions. Its a fantasy, there are real life parallels and allusions but nothing is stopping people of different backgrounds from being cast as actors in the franchise. Hopefully it works out, and if not it will be due to the quality of the material and not who played the characters.

Idk how I feel about the idea of a sort of traditional warrior style Galadriel...the image of her as some kind of armored up blademaster just seems off to me.

Granted, idk jack shit about her pre-LOTR trilogy, but she just always comes across as such a higher character if you will...like, she should be directing events/battles from behind/above the scenes, maybe occasionally laying the magical scmackdown on somebody actually fool enough to fuck with her. The idea of her being some frontline soldier or whatever is weird.

Other than that, these shots don't really tell me much. We got the standard cast diversification stuff...whatever. Don't care. As long the cast are good actors, it makes precious little difference to me. The real question is whether or not the writers have done a good job, and that's ultimately what this show will live and die on. We all known they're gonna spend the money. The IP is going to guarantee you the eyes of the world for at least a couple of episodes, if not the whole first season. But will your writers do it justice? Honestly, press X to doubt, but please go ahead and pleasantly surprise me.