By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you feel, when you finish playing a good game?

One of the latest games I finished was Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII and I really enjoyed it. I went through the game quite well and smoothly, but then the final dungeon had some extra challenges which were super difficult and made me question my playstyle a lot. It was a sudden and harsh spike of difficulty. Eventually I overcame it, though. Once I managed those challenges it was time for the final boss, and ... what can I say, it was another difficulty spike! He beat me over and over. I kept trying over and over. Somehow I made it to his final form and ... I was unable to beat him again as I couldn't figure out how to handle him. Eventually I gave up and watched videos and read walkthroughs. The key to beat him was always there, I just had to manage my equipment better, and then I finally made it and ripped him to pieces. That was an amzing feeling! All in all, it's quite a good game actually, and with the knowledge I received from this final boss, I was very inclined to just start a second run and see how much better I could have been during the whole playthrough. Anyway, I watched the ending and the credits and it felt great. It was awesome.

So, that was a positive example. A negative example is going to await me soon, I think. I'm forcing myself through Sonic Colors every now and then but ugh, I can't get used to the wonky jump physics at all. I can't play this for longer than twenty minutes. Sonic games are just not for me, I guess. I will finish it eventually, no doubt about that, but I will be glad it's over.

Dulfite said:

A good game? Probably content and ready to move on.

A great game? A little sad it's over but excited to see where it falls on the rankings.

Project X Zone? I want to go back in time and prevent the gaming industry from ever happening. May be a slight overreaction, but that's how much I hated playing and beating that game.

Sell your copy to me! I'd be glad.

Darashiva said:

If it's a particularly great game that genuinely resonates with me on a deeper level it can leave me feeling empty for a while because the experience I was enjoying has come to an end. That usually means that I don't want to start any other game for a little while.

I know this feeling very well. Sometimes it takes a little while before I can be ready for another game.

Spindel said:

I've been playing Civilization for 25 years and I'll never finish that, version numbers might change mechanics have evolved but I'll never be finished with Civilization. Sure sometimes I take a brake and don't play Civ for 2 years. But I always come back.

Aside from Civ, I usually feel pretty content and just quit, there are quiet a few games that I have to force myself to finish because I feel content before the actual end.

Only game (in the past 20 years at least) that have left me kind of empty was BotW. The feeling I miss is the exploration when the world was new to me. And that game was as above, I mucked around a lot and explored and then I beat Ganon and then mucked around a bit more but just finally felt "done" with the game. I've tried to pick it up again, but the awe of exploring a brave new world simply isn't there any more for me, so I leave it up to the memories of exploring the game initially and a bit sad feeling that it will probably be another 20 years before another game like that appears.

...and yes, that happened to me, too. I wish I could experience this journey once again for the first time as it lost its magic after I was done with the Hyrule saving thing.

Around the Network
Majora said:

I feel as though that game becomes a part of my identity, part of my life story somehow; it’s difficult to explain, but when I get really taken in by a game and its world, it almost feels as though I was “actually” in that world. It’s as though I’ve “lived” that life, that experience, and I’m left walking away from it changed somehow. I think the games that always spring to mind that have had these profound impacts on me are Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask and The Witcher 3. I have not explained myself well at all with this post, but it’s genuinely because I find it difficult to accurately convey what it is that I feel/experience/mean. When it’s over, it’s almost as thought it’s never truly over as it lives on inside me. I hate that I can’t describe coherently what I mean! I love that gaming can take me away in ways nothing else can.

I get what you mean.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Metallox said:

I typically say "aight, let's play it again".

That’s a great attitude. Although, a little more difficult these days now that RPG/adventure makers have actually improved a lot on 80+ hour games. But also better because instead of playing FF6 about 12 times you can do Witcher 3 twice for about the same hour count

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

When I finish a game I think "Oh can't wait to do all of those sidequests and extras". But in most cases I lose interest quickly thereafter. Without the draw of completing the game I have a hard time continuing.

If it's a really good game, I'll feel kind of sad I suppose..... I'll kind of go through a period of not wanting to play anything for a bit after beating a game I truly felt immersed in. Which I'm glad to see this seems to be a common thing for most of us here.

Just to list some examples of games that gave me this feeling; Witcher 3, Persona 3 and 5, Trails of Cold Steel I-IV, and FFX (and some others). Not that games that don't give me this feeling aren't great games. Like I love Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and other JRPGs but I didn't get that same feeling when I completed those games but they still rank extremely highly for me. A recent example of this being the Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 games, very much enjoyed both games but I didn't get that "man, I'm sad this is over" feeling. 

Last edited by NobleTeam360 - on 12 February 2022

Around the Network

If it's really great, then I get excited for a new harder difficulty playthrough, that I will be doing in a couple days. Happened with Uncharted 2 & 3, The Last of US, Mass Effect 2, Resident Evil games and other.

JWeinCom said:

When I finish a game I think "Oh can't wait to do all of those sidequests and extras". But in most cases I lose interest quickly thereafter. Without the draw of completing the game I have a hard time continuing.

I'm the opposite. When it's a good game I'll do anything but the main story first. That often backfires though, I lose track of the story and usually burn out on the game before the end and then finishing the story becomes a chore. Skyrim, TW3 and Ghost of Tsushima are some that back fired heavily.

Death Stranding was different, I kept on playing that for a long time after completing the story. Optimizing all the roads and getting the highest level on all deliveries. That's the real end for a game like that imo.

sad as it is the end but if it has a good story aka hero defeating villain then I'm satisfied as Good conquers Evil as it assures me about life in this day and age

Also,if you have something great after it,another game or in life some event then it doesn't feel as sad

faustian.empire said:

sad as it is the end but if it has a good story aka hero defeating villain then I'm satisfied as Good conquers Evil as it assures me about life in this day and age

Also,if you have something great after it,another game or in life some event then it doesn't feel as sad

Tell me, which game has the villain defeating the hero?

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

spynx said:
faustian.empire said:

Tell me, which game has the villain defeating the hero?

i never said any game is out there where the villain defeats the hero.

But in this day and age in culture and Politics and comedy where more and more the Good guys are shown to have the quality of villains and Bad guys are seen as the heroes.