Total:70
Kakadu18 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Look guys, it's pocketable!

Where's your god now switch pocket users? /s

Look it fits!!!

I am cry laughing ?

Around the Network

This thread is one of my favorites all time already. I hope it's not shut down. The amount of sarcasm is astounding! I doubt anything else in 2022 will top this.

Maybe pants are different in Brazil, but I do remember putting the switch inside the carrying case into my front pocket, a part will be out of it but can carry it around no issue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Captain_Yuri said:
sc94597 said:

Build quality, temperature, performance, and battery life seem to be great, outcompeting  much more expensive handheld PC's, if LTT's review is representative. 

The battery life in the video is surprisingly good once you cap it to 30 fps.

Ah, yes, 30 fps, another favorite from the PC gaming segment! So; small yet bulky, small screen, controls with seemingly very few options for customization, much flatter sound than any decent desktop or gaming laptop, and now even 30 fps to get OVER 3 HOURS of battery time! I can't see any reason why this won't fly off the shelves, especially right now with hardware components being readily available for new and existing products alike.

I would dare any PC gamer to spend the 400-650$ to upgrade their rigs instead, it's not even an option as I see it.

Mummelmann said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The battery life in the video is surprisingly good once you cap it to 30 fps.

Ah, yes, 30 fps, another favorite from the PC gaming segment! So; small yet bulky, small screen, controls with seemingly very few options for customization, much flatter sound than any decent desktop or gaming laptop, and now even 30 fps to get OVER 3 HOURS of battery time! I can't see any reason why this won't fly off the shelves, especially right now with hardware components being readily available for new and existing products alike.

I would dare any PC gamer to spend the 400-650$ to upgrade their rigs instead, it's not even an option as I see it.

Well I think we all know it's a niche product and I haven't said anything otherwise. Just look at how Valve is selling it vs how Nintendo sells the switch and you can see the difference in their target audience. Nintendo is selling the Switch at every local store they can find. You can buy a Switch at Bestbuy, Walmart, mom and pop shops, etc. The only place you can get a Steam Deck is on the Steam Store. Valve is not selling it anywhere else.

The purpose of the Steam deck isn't to replace your PC. The purpose of the Steam deck is for being able to play PC games on the go for an affordable price. It also lowers the barrier to entry for PC gaming, especially in the current market. Sure you have to lock it to 30fps to achieve 3 hours on a moderately demanding game but how else are you gonna play God of War or Elden Ring on a handheld? On the Switch? Nope. How else are you gonna play Persona 5 on a handheld? On the switch? Nope. How else can you play Xenoblade Chronicles X on a handheld? On the switch? Nope. (Although maybe they will announce that on the direct tomorrow). But the list goes on. You can get a laptop but that's not only much more expensive, but you need a desk or somewhere to put it on. You can upgrade your PC but the Deck isn't aiming to replace your PC in the first place. Not to mention... How long can your PC play games when it's unplugged?

Yea it's not the prettiest thing out there but Valve focused on function over form so they can provide compatibility for 10,000+ games day 1. And the best thing is, if you already have a good library of games on Steam, you don't have to re-buy a single one nor do you have to pay for any online subscription nonsense. It's not gonna appeal to the mass market but Valve already knows that.

The key difference is that a console like the Switch needs to sell a ton of units in order for Nintendo to make money. If say the Switch 2 flops like the wiiU did, Nintendo loses a large chunk of their revenue because developers/publishers won't port games and Nintendo doesn't get their 30% cut. But even if the Steam Deck sells less than a million units, it won't affect Valve's revenue stream because majority of the new games will continue to be ported onto Steam. So Valve may not need to sell Switch numbers to consider the Steam Deck to be a success and I doubt they are thinking switch numbers in the first place.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 08 February 2022

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

I said likely. So I guess you're one of the unlucky few with strangely small pockets. 

The Switch just isn't that much bigger than other portables, when you consider the fact that Joycons can be removed. Without Joycons (which can be put in another pocket) it's almost the same size as a 3DS XL (slightly longer but thinner and lighter), and not much bigger than phones that people carry with them everywhere. If you really want to carry the Switch in your pockets, I think you can do it. I believe in you! You just have to find the courage to believe in yourself!

As for the SP, yes duh. Yes, it's easier to fit in your pocket. Much easier. That's an advantage of the SP. And the Switch is infinitely more easy to fit in your pocket than a Steam Deck, because the Steam Deck is not fitting in any normal sized pocket. And it is not unreasonable for people to figure that with a product that is using a handheld form factor, the fact that it is not very portable is a huge disadvantage.

I've honestly yet to spot anyone out in the wild with a Switch crammed into their black hole/hammer space-style trousers, and also sitting down with it in their pockets.

The vast majority I've seen online have their personal carry cases, either style-based or official from Nintendo, and not crammed into their trousers.

Why should I have to remove joycons to then fit it in my pocket, and then take up another pocket space to fit the joycons on?, this is just making excuses for the fact that not everyone is gonna cram the thing into their pockets all the time, this is exactly why the carry cases and bags exist for them.

Yuri had a good point about not wanting to stuff it into his pocket and that was the joysticks and causing more stick drift, and we know Nintendo is hella guilty with their joycon drift, so that's just another reason not to stick it in my pocket, let alone the joycons into another. 

The Deck has it's own carry case just like the Switch, which I know most folks will be using, otherwise neither would be making any sorts of carry cases in the first place, if they knew 99% of the world was just stuffing them into their pockets all the time. 

Never underestimate the desire of a business to sell you a carry case.

Mandalore76 said:
Chazore said:

I've honestly yet to spot anyone out in the wild with a Switch crammed into their black hole/hammer space-style trousers, and also sitting down with it in their pockets.

The vast majority I've seen online have their personal carry cases, either style-based or official from Nintendo, and not crammed into their trousers.

Why should I have to remove joycons to then fit it in my pocket, and then take up another pocket space to fit the joycons on?, this is just making excuses for the fact that not everyone is gonna cram the thing into their pockets all the time, this is exactly why the carry cases and bags exist for them.

Yuri had a good point about not wanting to stuff it into his pocket and that was the joysticks and causing more stick drift, and we know Nintendo is hella guilty with their joycon drift, so that's just another reason not to stick it in my pocket, let alone the joycons into another. 

The Deck has it's own carry case just like the Switch, which I know most folks will be using, otherwise neither would be making any sorts of carry cases in the first place, if they knew 99% of the world was just stuffing them into their pockets all the time. 

And I bet ANY of those cases could fit into a pocket!

Captain_Yuri said:
Mummelmann said:

Well I think we all know it's a niche product and I haven't said anything otherwise. Just look at how Valve is selling it vs how Nintendo sells the switch and you can see the difference in their target audience. Nintendo is selling the Switch at every local store they can find. You can buy a Switch at Bestbuy, Walmart, mom and pop shops, etc. The only place you can get a Steam Deck is on the Steam Store. Valve is not selling it anywhere else.

The purpose of the Steam deck isn't to replace your PC. The purpose of the Steam deck is for being able to play PC games on the go for an affordable price. It also lowers the barrier to entry for PC gaming, especially in the current market. Sure you have to lock it to 30fps to achieve 3 hours on a moderately demanding game but how else are you gonna play God of War or Elden Ring on a handheld? On the Switch? Nope. How else are you gonna play Persona 5 on a handheld? On the switch? Nope. How else can you play Xenoblade Chronicles X on a handheld? On the switch? Nope. (Although maybe they will announce that on the direct tomorrow). But the list goes on. You can get a laptop but that's not only much more expensive, but you need a desk or somewhere to put it on. You can upgrade your PC but the Deck isn't aiming to replace your PC in the first place. Not to mention... How long can your PC play games when it's unplugged?

Yea it's not the prettiest thing out there but Valve focused on function over form so they can provide compatibility for 10,000+ games day 1. And the best thing is, if you already have a good library of games on Steam, you don't have to re-buy a single one nor do you have to pay for any online subscription nonsense. It's not gonna appeal to the mass market but Valve already knows that.

The key difference is that a console like the Switch needs to sell a ton of units in order for Nintendo to make money. If say the Switch 2 flops like the wiiU did, Nintendo loses a large chunk of their revenue because developers/publishers won't port games and Nintendo doesn't get their 30% cut. But even if the Steam Deck sells less than a million units, it won't affect Valve's revenue stream because majority of the new games will continue to be ported onto Steam. So Valve may not need to sell Switch numbers to consider the Steam Deck to be a success and I doubt they are thinking switch numbers in the first place.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that we both know it's a niche product. But my point still stands; who will actually buy it? It's a still a pricey bit of kit, and people who have more than a passing interest in PC gaming are likely to either get a laptop or a desktop. For those who don't even have a passing interest, there will be consoles and even phones instead. Consoles have been imitating the PC for at least two generations now, and it made sense, but the inverse really doesn't, given what the PC is in the gaming space and has been for a long time. 

To me it just screams product without an actual demographic, Valve tried before with the Steam Machine series. They started at about the same price, I think they ended up selling less than 500k units worldwide. Granted, a portable form may be somewhat more enticing, but we have both the Switch and some actual, passable mobile games available as well today. I think that it's too nerdy, and frankly, too expensive, to entice more casual consumers, and it's too limiting in its form-factor and potential for more PC enthusiasts such as myself. It kind of reminds me of when developers and publishers started watering down the mechanics of Strategy games and RPGs and losing customer on both ends for being both too complex and too simple all at once.

And we haven't even mentioned the storage issue, these won't be taking physical discs of any kind so internal storage will fill up incredibly fast. The 64GB model is a joke, modern games are often huge, and buying extra storage in the form of SD cards or other solutions is an extra expense for the consumer. Even the 256GB model will be having issues with storage with more than 3-4 modern titles installed. Heck; the only difference between the models seems to be the size of the drive, which reeks of Apple to me.

No, I stand by my point that this will likely be a dud.

As always though; I could be wrong. I like it when Valve succeed in their ventures, and they could use a boost right about now.

Mandalore76 said:
Chazore said:

Clearly this means that most people were carrying their Dreamcasts everywhere. Why would Sega have made it otherwise?

In case people confuse let be very clear what Valve goal is. They believe at some point Handhold PC will be a category with a decent amount of customers. weather that in 2 years or 5 years or more. When that day comes they want SteamOS not windows to be the OS of choice. Steam Deck goal is to position them selves so that a possibility. If Steam Deck successful enough or loved enough by the people who do buy it to convince Aya to start offering a SteamOS version of there next Neo and who ever else get in the market to do so Valve will consider Steam Deck a huge success. Regardless of the exact number they sell.

Weather in 5 years steam deck selling million or they selling 0 but millions of portable PC with steamOS running is selling don't matter to valve.