By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Ryan Wants to Expand PS Outside Console Market, Future Bungie Games to Release on Rival Consoles

It was only a matter of time. AAA games in the modern era take a lot of time and money to develop and keeping them exclusive to one platform only limits their sales potential. The more money they have, the bigger and better the games should be.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

They have hit a hard ceiling of console sales and will need to diversify if they want continued growth.

When they say multiplatform, I think they mean primarily PC. That will be the start at least

I don't see Sony doing day and date for PC this generation with the exception of multiplayer titles. Maybe during the end of the generation, releasing TLOU: Part III on PS5/PC when hardware sales have flatlined makes a ton of sense, especially if the IP picks up a lot of momentum because of the HBO adaptation. I do agree it will happen eventually, but if Sony is still pushing consoles as their platform, rather than pushing Spartacus as their platform, day and date on PC won't happen IMO. In terms of a GamePass competitor, I don't see Sony competing directly, but I think they'll put most if not all, of their first party multiplayer games on Spartacus. They get the best of both worlds in that scenario.

Also, you have to remember that Sony is an entertainment conglomerate, expanding Playstation beyond consoles could mean television, movies, anime, PC & mobile. One of the driving factors for Bungie getting bought out by Sony is the fact they can expand Destiny through Sony Pictures/Playstation Productions. Sony is even doing multimedia adaptations of Twisted Metal & Demon's Souls lol. Expanding their IP's to movies/television creates a billion dollar revenue stream while significantly increasing their reach beyond consoles. Like Jim Ryan said, "This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways."

I think the chip shortage is really changing and speeding up Sony plans to include the PC market. I think they originally plan to have another consoles only generation with PS5 and slowly transition toward day 1 release on PC toward the end of the generation. We could see a all new vision for Sony when they announce Playstation Spartacus and shake the industry and especially their own fanbase that have been bashing Microsoft for so long for going the PC route.

But if you think about it from a profit perspective it's foolish to stay limited to the small console nitch market. The industry has changed so much over the past 10 years. This is no longer the 360/PS3 generation mindset it seems a lot of console players still hold too.

If Sony can reach the PC and even the mobil market (phones and tablets) they will have a potential 1000% increase. Going from a 300 million pool to a 3 billion pool of potential gamers.

我是广州人

Around the Network

This makes me think that the top CEOs see the console future will be steam deck type devices capable of running any store. Xbox, PlayStation, and possibly PC manufacturers will make consoles with such similar architecture that there’s little value in a closed ecosystem. The money is going to be in the software subscription services. Just like the movie and music industries.

One thing that's been said plenty from the beginning of Destiny, is that with it's lore, which so much is left out of the games, it would be perfect for a long running TV series or many movies.

Heck if I were SNY, I'd follow the Star Trek formula. Main TV series, with big movies here and there along the way. Done so that if you miss either the TV series or movies, you don't really miss out because of the other. Each being their own thing but tied just enough that hardcore fans will get more out of it if they watch both mediums.

twintail said:

I tend to agree. I think it's been speculated by a few ppl (even on this board) that Sony could look to push F2P and MP titles day and date with PC (and Spartacus), since inevitably these probably don't impact hardware sales. Hardware is still a vital element of Sony's strategy as clearly PS5's are being bought as they release.

I will add that I did think Sony could push their sports titles in a similar way (hot shots golf/ tennis at the time) because they were rather niche on PS and could've used the expanded audience. MLB being multiplatform (whether Sony decided or not) seems to make a case for pushing other sport brands in a similar way. Dunno if you agree. 

I completely agree.

I think this Bungie purchase is the perfect bridge for Sony to introduce their F2P/MP titles onto PC day and date, as well as having them on Spartacus, which also lines up with a lot of Sony PR today about going multiplatform, and having an "aggressive road map for live service games." They would still have their massive tentpole single player games that can move hardware and software. 

Although I doubt Sony's multiplayer push will include any sports games outside of MLB, unless you count racing games, factor in acquisitions, or just look at the overall backlog from the PS2/PSP. I could see smaller AA titles being released on Spartacus though. 

PC is a large marke that they can diversify their games into. I think the games they have released on PC have had good success (as far as I'm aware). Maybe Sony should also look into buying a larger mobile publisher like Supercell or something as well.

Captain_Yuri said:

It was only a matter of time. AAA games in the modern era take a lot of time and money to develop and keeping them exclusive to one platform only limits their sales potential. The more money they have, the bigger and better the games should be.

Some folks here seem to think it makes perfect sense to just never do day and date with SP titles, despite said titles costing far more than MP ones to produce and SP ones have a limited ceiling compared to MP's, which can be milked over the years via MT's and passes. 

Day and date is the next and most logical conclusion, shifting consoles or not. MS is doing it, it's the absolute next step.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"