By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has Microsoft gotten rid of the Rrod?

360's will always have the potential to RROD, just like PS3s and Wii's will have the potential to fail as well.

However, for the life of me, it seems like the absolute worst period is certainly over. The best place, I've found, to see how well the Falcon's are holding up, is to head over to NeoGAF, and read "my X360 died, and I lived to tell the story" - it has hundreds, if not thousands of RROD stories, and is about the biggest I know of. Unless something's changed in the past week, not a single person has claimed their Falcon has RRODed . In the same tracking time, a few Wiis and PS3s have died on their owners in the same timeframe.

So I'd tend to think that the reliability of the newer 360s is MUCH better than that of the older, pre-Falcon 360s.

So the biggest key, if you really can't get sleep at night, worrying about not having a console to play on, just make sure that if you buy a 360, buy one with a manufacturer date no earlier than October 2008, and confirm it's a Falcon by checking the huge Power Addapter (for lack of a better word), and check to see if it runs on 172-175 watts. The older, non-Falcons ran on 200+ watts. If you can confirm one or the other (preferably the later), you got a Falcon, and I'd say, chances are, something else would die on you before you'd get an RRoD.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

wow didnt anyone see the youtube video of the 360 rrod at GDC 08?

link?

According to domestic media, the rate of RROD's have gone down significantly in the new chipsets. Gamer.no reported that the hardware failure rate had gone down from over 25% to somewhere around 10, which is a strong improvement to be sure!
From what I understand, the issue is not resolved but considerably better than ever before (note that a few cases of hardware failure in these statistics were harddrive and DVD-ROM issues as well, about 1/4 as I recall).

Why would Microsoft completely get rid of XBox 360 RROD? Besides it obviously costing a lot of money for R&D. They would lose out on people not having to buy replacement XBox 360's.

Around the Network

Walked into EBGames last month and the store display unit had RRoDed. One would assume the MS rep would be supplying the most current unit to provent that from happening, but I can't confirm if that was the case. However the sales clerk carryed on about it like it was a regular occurance, bad mouthing MS and their crappy tech.

Regardless, most 360s are not stored in little plastic cases and running all day long so that's not necessarily a sign that one at home would RRoD, but it is a sign it still happens to this day.

No of course not, but I wouldn't deny that it's been reduced a fair amount. Am I mistaken or wasn't it said that the flaw in the system is critical and can not be simply fixed without a redesign or something?

I'm not sure if the problem is getting better or not.

Just a little factoid, my friends 360 red ringed over the weekend. It's an elite and was bought for the holidays (so it's a few months old), but maybe they've changed the model again since then, I can't say I know all that much about the insides :D

Had mine since September. Nothing wrong with it so far.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

I bought a new Falcon 360 at Christmas because I had a RRoD issue while I was on holiday and gaming with my brother in law... Then, just after I got back I had a second 360 brick with RRoD. But, the RRoD consoles were a December 2005 and October 2006 manufacturer date.

The Falcon has a quieter (not really quiet) drive and much quieter fan system. Once the new graphics processor comes out I think I will replace all of my 360's as my three from the early days will be coming to the end of warranty and I really like the new quieter version.

For fun, yesterday I put one of my older 360's in my deep freeze for 4 hours and then powered it up right away hoping to brick it (The fan makes an aweful noise for the first minutes of startup)... Unfortunately, the sudden change of temperature combined with gaming quickly did not brick it. Anyone have good ideas on how to brick a 360 to RRoD without voiding warranty?