By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - All digital people, what was your final physical purchase?

PSwii60 said:

Breath of the Wild. Tangibility is still pleasing to me including the smell of booklets and all… but it’s hard to beat convenience.

That's the thing, booklets used to be thick with nice pictures and some info about the game (Blizzard games booklets were the best!). Nowadays, they're a one page folded in two at best.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

I'm glad we moved away from physical, I would say i'm all digital but the darn Switch keep me somewhat physical. Last game bought on switch was ring fit. I never bought a single physical game on Xbox series S/X. Last Xbox one physical game was Assassin's Creed Odyssey. When I picked a PS4 slim last generation I also bought Last of Us, Uncharted collection, Uncharted 4, God of wars and Horizon zero west. Surprisingly as a Xbox household the most physical disc I own is on the PS4 and Switch.

Kakadu18 said:
JackHandy said:

I keep seeing this word convenience being thrown around but it's like, how inconvenient is physical anyway? I mean, if two people are in a room on a couch, and there are two Switches docked under the TV... how much faster is the digital owner going to be able to get into their game than the physical owner? A minute? Thirty seconds? Because surely, it takes no more than that to pop in a game and sit back down.

I'd rather not get up at all.

Try telling that to your girlfriend.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

PSwii60 said:
JackHandy said:

I keep seeing this word convenience being thrown around but it's like, how inconvenient is physical anyway? I mean, if two people are in a room on a couch, and there are two Switches docked under the TV... how much faster is the digital owner going to be able to get into their game than the physical owner? A minute? Thirty seconds? Because surely, it takes no more than that to pop in a game and sit back down.

Sure, that’s one instance but even with that logic it’s thirty seconds that I never had to spend obtaining or searching for that game.

It could also mean traveling and only worrying about the console and not the dozens of cartridges I would have been carrying with me.

It could also mean less risks of losing cartridges by me or by my kids.

It could also mean I’m a lazy person.

Convenience is subjective and digital works for me now.

Time and age forced me to realize those thirty seconds matter now to me than ever before.

Time and age actually had the opposite effect on me. I use to rush as well, trying to squeeze in as much as possible. But then it was like, what for? At some point, it just didn't matter to me anymore. 

But to your point about gaming on the go, I would agree there. I forgot about the Switch being portable. Console gaming, yeah. You're not saving much time. But portable? Who the heck wants to lug around five carts with them everywhere they go? lol

mjk45 said:
Kakadu18 said:

I'd rather not get up at all.

Try telling that to your girlfriend.

I'd love to, but then I usually wake up.

Around the Network
scrapking said:
JackHandy said:

I keep seeing this word convenience being thrown around but it's like, how inconvenient is physical anyway? I mean, if two people are in a room on a couch, and there are two Switches docked under the TV... how much faster is the digital owner going to be able to get into their game than the physical owner? A minute? Thirty seconds? Because surely, it takes no more than that to pop in a game and sit back down.

Currently I'm sitting in the upper birth of a loft-bed, with a game console mounted across the room and *behind* the TV.  You'd better believe digital is a hell of a lot more than convenient for me in this moment!  :D

But it's also the convenience of not having to figure out where to put the boxes, not having to dust them, not having to alphabetize them, not opening up a case to find the wrong game inside, not opening up a case to find NO game inside, not having to move them with me if I move house, not having the cost of buying shelving, not having to buy bigger and bigger places to accommodate an ever-growing collection, etc.

I literally have none of those problems lol. Maybe that's why I feel the way I do? I have one of each console. Beside them, stacked neatly, are all the games in their cases. If I want to play one, I get up, open the case, take the disc or cart out, pop it in and go. When I am done, I get up, eject the disc or cart, put it away in its case, set the case back in its original spot and I'm finished. Everything stays neat. Everything is right where it should be. No issues whatsoever. If it's carts or discs to consoles that I have stored away, like retro stuff, they're stored with the consoles in boxes. So to me, it's just perplexing to hear people despair about all this stuff, since I have been doing it all my life without even noticing. haha

TruckOSaurus said:
PSwii60 said:

Breath of the Wild. Tangibility is still pleasing to me including the smell of booklets and all… but it’s hard to beat convenience.

That's the thing, booklets used to be thick with nice pictures and some info about the game (Blizzard games booklets were the best!). Nowadays, they're a one page folded in two at best.

I’m always enjoyed the physical connections with games. To an extent, the booklets themselves were part of the lore.

Nowadays, sometimes they are online or within the game. Crazier, games come with ads for other games.

d21lewis said:
JackHandy said:

I keep seeing this word convenience being thrown around but it's like, how inconvenient is physical anyway? I mean, if two people are in a room on a couch, and there are two Switches docked under the TV... how much faster is the digital owner going to be able to get into their game than the physical owner? A minute? Thirty seconds? Because surely, it takes no more than that to pop in a game and sit back down.

I started going digital with the PSP. Those UMD games were so fragile and bulky. You couldn't carry more than a handful anywhere. It was so convenient, even the games I owned physically were replaced with digital versions (went back to physical with the Vita, though. Memory cards were too expensive).

Then I started dabbling with it on home consoles with the Xbox One. I could literally download the digital version on several different consoles and play in any room. Even my save data would be there. And on top of all that, me and a friend could play the same game at the same time (together, even!) on two consoles with a single purchase.

I remember having tons of discs on the floor at any given time, back when I was physical. Sometimes, the disc would be in the wrong case. With the Xbox One, I would just say "Xbox, open Tomb Raider" and I was playing. Too convenient!

Now, I'm disgusted with discs. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one that buys games multiple times/ways for no or even ridiculous reasons.

I had roughly 100 PS1 games and 200 PS2 games (with about 100 GameCube games, too.). During the 7th gen, things REALLY got out of control. So many PS3, Wii, and 360 games, it actually became embarrassing. People would come visit and say "Man, you could have bought a car instead of all of these games!"

I started to consider myself a collector. Then, I reached a point where I said "What am I collecting for?" I had a bit of an epiphany. I just wanted the experience. I wanted to get rid of the clutter. Combined with convenience, not having to go to a store, etc., digital just felt right.

scrapking said:
JackHandy said:

I keep seeing this word convenience being thrown around but it's like, how inconvenient is physical anyway? I mean, if two people are in a room on a couch, and there are two Switches docked under the TV... how much faster is the digital owner going to be able to get into their game than the physical owner? A minute? Thirty seconds? Because surely, it takes no more than that to pop in a game and sit back down.

Currently I'm sitting in the upper birth of a loft-bed, with a game console mounted across the room and *behind* the TV.  You'd better believe digital is a hell of a lot more than convenient for me in this moment!  :D

But it's also the convenience of not having to figure out where to put the boxes, not having to dust them, not having to alphabetize them, not opening up a case to find the wrong game inside, not opening up a case to find NO game inside, not having to move them with me if I move house, not having the cost of buying shelving, not having to buy bigger and bigger places to accommodate an ever-growing collection, etc.

I ran out of space in my old house.
So I built a new house.

This is by no-means my entire video game collection either, there is another room dedicated to everything Pre-6th gen.. And I have Playstation 3/4/5 in the walk-in wardrobe in the master bedroom.

I find a certain kind of "joy" in having all my games categorized, sorted and all in one place.

My PC is pretty much entirely digital though... Last game I bought physical was probably StarCraft 2.
My Series S console only has digital copies (Obviously) of every Halo game... My Xbox One X and Xbox Series X I try and stick to physical.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--