By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony acquire another less expensive developer? Since Square is really in good terms with Sony?

Square Enix Doesn't mind doing alot of Exclusive games for PS5 , like Forspoken/Final Fantasy 7 Remake and upcoming Final Fantasy 16. I think Square Enix isn't interested in making exclusive games for Microsoft , I think Square won't be in danger they in the right relationship with Sony now, The only other Publisher not bigger than Square is Capcom ? with blockbuster teams still pumping great games.

Edit : no-one should mention Sega (looking at platforms like youtube or other forums) I can't handle it and  current Sonic 8th and 9th gen Sega makes peanuts sales on all fronts , that's why Sega was forced to make Exclusive Xbox Sega Super game , none of our shit not even Sonic currently can match Street Fighter 5 , Sonic doesn't sell gangbusters like Metal Gear , Yakuza doesn't make huge sales neither , Persona series (specifically Persona 5 sold 1.8 million that's a baby step compared to Metal Gear Solid or anything capcom like Street Fighter 5 , Persona don't sell gangbusters , so I'm asking other parts of internet to stop specially youtube 

From a Sega Saturn Fan.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 18 January 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

I hope these acquiring sprees just end.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 21 January 2022

Konami.

Just buy Konami.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Kakadu18 said:

I hope these aquiring sprees just end.

I just pity the dude who decides they need to buy EA unless they can get a discount on their reputation, come to think about it maybe MS got a Bobby Kotick discount.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

BasilZero said:

Konami.

Just buy Konami.

I think I second konami though IDK what they do with Pachinko division? but I guess Konami should cost less and Metal Gear solid series sells a ton , more than the other japanese companies games except capcom's Monster Hunter or Square Enix games . Would be great to have Kojima work on Metal Gear again.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

No please, I really wish not to see a future where most devs and publishers have been consolidated into an oligarchy composed of 2-3 super omega rich companies who can only see success by brute forcing their competition.

As for Sony/Square Enix good term relationship, I see it just as beneficial as the one Nintendo has with them as well publishing themselves their smaller yet just as important project. 

Anywoo, I don't see anything up that front. People need to stop with these kind of speculations, especially because their based on non-sense wish-fullfilment.

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 18 January 2022

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kakadu18 said:

While it remains to be seen how this all shakes out, I'm not freaking out just yet because this is how the industry looked for most of my life. Not the acquisitions, per say. That's new. But for many years, each console was mostly segregated off from the others. During the PS1 and PS2 era, Sega and Nintendo and Microsoft got jack squat. But that was okay, because they had their own games that Playstation didn't have, and there was this wonderful dynamic between each system which made owning all three worthwhile. It also--in my opinion--made for a far more exciting industry. I mean, just look at the 16-bit era. Entire books and movies have been written about it.

So yeah, it's scary. And there's a chance this ends up being a really bad thing. But I think we'll be okay. If anything, it'll just light a fire under the other guy's behinds and we'll see a whole new slew of exciting IPs that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. 

SegaHeart said:

I think I second konami though IDK what they do with Pachinko division? but I guess Konami should cost less and Metal Gear solid series sells a ton , more than the other japanese companies games except capcom's Monster Hunter or Square Enix games . Would be great to have Kojima work on Metal Gear again.

There's nothing wrong with continuing the Pachinko side, pretty sure Konami still makes decent amount for them to have support it for years.

The real wealth comes from the IPs that Konami really hasnt been working on other than porting over older titles in collections.

-Metal Gear
-Castlevania
-Silent Hill
-Suikoden
-Bloody Roar
-Frogger
-PES
-Zone of the Enders
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-Bomberman
-Gradius
-Lost in Blue
-Beatmania

None of these IPs are getting much attention to in the first place - so some attention from Sony could help.

They could also establish Konami as the Japanese front for game development from the region since Sony barely has a Japanese front nowadays with their focus on western games.

It could help games that were originally Japanese from Sony's side like the Ico/SotC/Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud series.

Providing they dont get axed to the side like what happened to the group that made Ico/SotC and Last Guardian

Basil's YouTube Channel

I think it’s a matter of when, not if, Sony will purchase a publisher at this point. Microsoft will have spent a combined nearly $80 billion on content over the course of 2 years, and Sony simply cannot afford not to respond to that. If they wanted to go big, they could attempt a merger with someone, although that carries with it substantial risk.

mjk45 said:
Kakadu18 said:

I just pity the dude who decides they need to buy EA unless they can get a discount on their reputation, come to think about it maybe MS got a Bobby Kotick discount.

EA is not necessarily a bad get. They have content geared towards online, which is something Sony is lacking in (yet their deals with start up studios seem to be to cover this)