By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard for 69 billion $

People are saying Activision came to MS for this deal. Makes sense, and should ease some peoples worry. MS making this deal is way better than anyone else doing it, especially Apple or Google. At least with MS owning them, you know existing games will still be supported everywhere, and you won’t have to buy an Xbox or sign up for some subscription to play the games, they’ll all be on PC and maybe even other consoles.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Imaginedvl said:

As PC gamer you should be happy it.

Why worried and why are you saying that console gamer are worried too. Can you ellaborate on that?

I'm a PC and console gamer and I'm anything but worried (well, obviously if you are only playing on Sony's console, yah, those are worried and for good reason, no debate there, but you said you are PC gamer, so I assume that's not the case).

GamePass is probably the best thing that happen to PC Gamers since a while. Diablo, Starcraft, COD, Overwatch are all going to be day one on GamePass and in the same ecosystem than other games. As a console gamer I also have more hope to finally have a true "play anywhere" for games like Diablo 4 or Overwatch 2.

I get that some people are worried for different reason, but you are talking like this is a general consensus. I do not think so :) And looking at the reaction on Reddit and other places (even Blizzard specific ones, people are happy about this in general). Microsoft is a way better place to be for those games/franchises/studios than the current standalone Activision/Blizzard. 

Heck, I also hope Microsoft will split Blizzard from Activision and bring it right under the Xbox Studios at the same level than Bethesda and the other studios instead of being a subsidiary of Activision.

So why are you worried?

PC main advantages are wide freedom of HW, SW and services choice, OS only is ruled  by a near-monopoly (Office is the strongest office suite, but many users can replace it with alternatives), but MS always tried to extend its power on the platform and to push users from periodic licence purchases, typically together with new HW or major upgrades, to a lifetime rent.
That the owner of the only monopoly on PC tries to expand its power too much in other parts of PC market isn't good for competition, even less that it tries to turn Game Pass into a de facto mandatory service. Yes, Activision acquisition can be very good for Game Pass users, it isn't for everybody else. Neither it will be for GP users, if MS will raise the fee.

It isn't for 3rd parties willing to be on GP either, unless MS grants that their share of the fees won't be touched by the overwhelming increase of 1st party games weight Bethesda and Activision brought.

That the owner of the only monopoly on PC tries 

Even if Windows have the lion share of OS market share, it ain't a monopoly per say, MacOS is still competitive enough so to keep Microsoft in check from any malpractice or abuse. So no monopoly there. Also funny how you label it as the only monopoly on PC when Nvidia actually have more share of the discrete GPU market share than Windows have of the OS market share.

to expand its power too much in other parts of PC market isn't good for competition

It's actually good for competition, steam has about 75% of the pc market share https://comparecamp.com/steam-statistics/ which conveniently enough is about the same as Windows OS Market share, the one you refer to has being a Monopoly. Microsoft Bolstering is distribution on PC through GamePass should therefore simulate reaction from competition and we as gamers stand to gain.

even less that it tries to turn Game Pass into a de facto mandatory service.

We have no indication whatsoever this is the case, in fact indications tends to point the other way, even if Microsoft actually does win the looming subscription based game distribution services war they always benefits from also distributing all their titles in standalone format.

Yes, Activision acquisition can be very good for Game Pass users, it isn't for everybody else.

For me that's more akin to fear mongering, else you would have to define more who you're referring to by 'everybody else'. For me, this acquisition as great potential to be good for everybody that:

- want to see newer addition in franchise practically abandoned by current Activision blizzard such as Starcraft.

- want to see a true and profound culture change at Activivision Blizzard workplace.

- Is tired of yearly CoD

- Wants Activision Blizzard to even dare innovate.

Neither it will be for GP users, if MS will raise the fee

Inevitable but if Xbox Live is any indication (and by all mean, it is the best indication we can look upon ) raise in fee will be scarce, far apart and won't even raise to the effect of compounded inflation. Also competition is looming for GamePass so Microsoft would want to keep GamePass competitive and attractive. So I have absolutely no worry here.

It isn't for 3rd parties willing to be on GP either, unless MS grants that their share of the fees won't be touched by the overwhelming increase of 1st party games weight Bethesda and Activision brought.

If the user base grow sufficiently enough than it will still be. Also the idea that Microsoft just gives share of the monthly subscription fee as always been kind of oversimplification to me. It is way more likely that EA get a predetermined amount every month based on metrics and formula of some sorts. Maybe something like:

A = Amount, P = Total GP profit for a particular time frame(likely month), M = Microsoft cut's in % ex: 0.3 for 30%, TP total time played by gamer during the time frame, TT total time spent on a particular title and or collection 

A = P * (1 - M) * (TT / TP)

With this simple formula Every one with a title/collection of title on GP could get the fare share of the revenue. Of course Microsoft probably don't conclude deal with a formula like this, but I'll bet something similar is used when deciding whether it is worth it to keep or not titles/services on GP

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 24 January 2022

LudicrousSpeed said:

People are saying Activision came to MS for this deal. Makes sense, and should ease some peoples worry. MS making this deal is way better than anyone else doing it, especially Apple or Google. At least with MS owning them, you know existing games will still be supported everywhere, and you won’t have to buy an Xbox or sign up for some subscription to play the games, they’ll all be on PC and maybe even other consoles.

In that case, I suppose Bobby found the perfect way to get out of his situation.

EpicRandy said:

That the owner of the only monopoly on PC tries 

Even if Windows have the lion share of OS market share, it ain't a monopoly per say, MacOS is still competitive enough so to keep Microsoft in check from any malpractice or abuse. So no monopoly there. Also funny how you label it as the only monopoly on PC when Nvidia actually have more share of the discrete GPU market share than Windows have of the OS market share.

to expand its power too much in other parts of PC market isn't good for competition

It's actually good for competition, steam has about 75% of the pc market share https://comparecamp.com/steam-statistics/ which conveniently enough is about the same as Windows OS Market share, the one you refer to has being a Monopoly. Microsoft Bolstering is distribution on PC through GamePass should therefore simulate reaction from competition and we as gamers stand to gain.

even less that it tries to turn Game Pass into a de facto mandatory service.

We have no indication whatsoever this is the case, in fact indications tends to point the other way, even if Microsoft actually does win the looming subscription based game distribution services war they always benefits from also distributing all their titles in standalone format.

Yes, Activision acquisition can be very good for Game Pass users, it isn't for everybody else.

For me that's more akin to fear mongering, else you would have to define more who you're referring to by 'everybody else'. For me, this acquisition as great potential to be good for everybody that:

- want to see newer addition in franchise practically abandoned by current Activision blizzard such as Starcraft.

- want to see a true and profound culture change at Activivision Blizzard workplace.

- Is tired of yearly CoD

- Wants Activision Blizzard to even dare innovate.

Neither it will be for GP users, if MS will raise the fee

Inevitable but if Xbox Live is any indication (and by all mean, it is the best indication we can look upon ) raise in fee will be scarce, far apart and won't even raise to the effect of compounded inflation. Also competition is looming for GamePass so Microsoft would want to keep GamePass competitive and attractive. So I have absolutely no worry here.

I'm one of those "other" people, who isn't into "fear mongering", but one who actually takes a look at history (not just the history of MS, but the history of other corps and general history itself), and isn't going to take what they say through PR at face value, because why would I?.

You might take it as is, but I don't, so what of that?.

If you're going to cite my non compliance with MS's ideals as "fear mongering", you're going to have to do better as to explaining why no one should take any sort of stance against a trillion dollar corp (which would be asinine to do so anyway and make one look like the biggest sim, so don't, that's my advice). 

Also, I really, really don't want to be that guy that willingly waits for years for something bad to happen, in order for me to say "I told you so", because I know that does jack shit on here, so no one here berating people for not keeping their guard up do not face any sort of consequence for their actions/words. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Also, I really, really don't want to be that guy that willingly waits for years for something bad to happen, in order for me to say "I told you so", because I know that does jack shit on here, so no one here berating people for not keeping their guard up do not face any sort of consequence for their actions/words. 

No you are not one of the others :) You are one of those "fear mongering" ones.
I mean, you basically are arguing and preaching about something that "you" assume will happen out of your ass. Cannot be more fearmongerer than that at this point.

Also, nothing in the "history" shows that, if history shows anything is that fearmongerers like you are wrong most of the time; and are probably the main reason of major step backs, world wars, etc... Being afraid that something MAY happen, let's be afraid of everything then, cause at the end anything can happen, right?...

History is showing us that Microsoft learned a LOT from their mistakes (esp. the monopoly ones), so do not use history as bullet in your imaginary apocalyptic scenario because it does not really fit the agenda.

Of course, WHEN something bad happens, you come up with your "I told you so"... Forgetting the 99% rest of time where nothing disastrous happened... And take this single time as the "I knew it all" from the start.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 25 January 2022

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

No you are not one of the others :) You are one of those "fear mongering" ones.
I mean, you basically are arguing and preaching about something that "you" assume will happen out of your ass. Cannot be more fearmongerer than that at this point.

Also, nothing in the "history" shows that, if history shows anything is that fearmongerers like you are wrong most of the time; and are probably the main reason of major step backs, world wars, etc... Being afraid that something MAY happen...

History is showing us that Microsoft learned a LOT from their mistakes (esp. the monopoly ones), so do not use history as bullet in your imaginary apocalyptic scenario because it does not really fit the agenda.

Of course, WHEN something bad happens, you come up with your "I told you so"... Forgetting the 99% rest of time where nothing disastrous happened... And take this single time as the "I knew it all" from the start.

Last person on earth I am ever going to believe that nowt bad is going to happen, that everything is to stay the way it is, is from someone like you.

You ignore history or willingly ignore the bad parts of it, and your poorly thought out response to that shows (that and the bias clouds it).

Btw, saying I'd be the cause of a world war isn't exactly the best kind of response, bordering on trolling/berating. 

Either way, I'm going to be there when it goes tits up, but knowing you, it'll be a net positive, fuck what anyone else who doesn't like what you like, thinks. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

Last person on earth I am ever going to believe that nowt bad is going to happen, that everything is to stay the way it is, is from someone like you.

You ignore history or willingly ignore the bad parts of it, and your poorly thought out response to that shows (that and the bias clouds it).

Btw, saying I'd be the cause of a world war isn't exactly the best kind of response, bordering on trolling/berating. 

Either way, I'm going to be there when it goes tits up, but knowing you, it'll be a net positive, fuck what anyone else who doesn't like what you like, thinks. 

Please ellaborate on that? I mean seriously? Also, what am I exactly lol?

World wars (both) started EXACTLY because of that, people's fear of something that MAY happen... Stop thinking that this was an attack to you personaly and that you are the center of the world, this is a general comment about fearmongering and how it brings the worse out of people. If you do not like it, fine. But stop playing the victim and pretend that it is something it is'nt... 

You brought your BS about history, so now just assume it instead of playing hurt by that comment. Esp. when this is not about your little response but an overall statement about what you just posted in general. You try to sound elloquent with your response but you cannot take anything and hit that report button when we are talking about "actual" history?. lol come on...

W/e play the victim if you want and keep arguing anything that could happen based on nothing else but your fears of it. Simply do not bring history into this if your best anwser to that is linking this to trolling/berating whenever you do not like the response. 

This is offtopic now anyway, so I'm done here, keep fearing w/e your brain is making up about what Microsoft is going to do and enjoy the rest of the day.

Imaginedvl said:

Please ellaborate on that? I mean seriously?

World wars (both) started EXACTLY because of that, people's fear... Stop thinking that this was an attack to you and that you are the center of the world, this is a general comment about fearmongering and how it brings the worse out of people. If you do not like it, fine. But stop playing the victim... 

You brought your BS about history, so now just assume it instead of playing hurt by that comment. Esp. when this is not about your little response but an overall statement about what you just posted in general. You try to sound elloquent with your response but you cannot take anything and hit that report button when we are talking about "actual" history?. lol come on...

W/e play the victim if you want and keep arguing anything that could happen based on nothing else but your fears of it. Simply do not bring history into this if your best anwser to that is linking this to trolling/berating whenever you do not like the response. 

This is offtopic now anyway, so I'm done here, keep fearing w/e your brain is making up about what Microsoft is going to do and enjoy the rest of the day.

Mate, you compared me to one who would start a world war without question, based on jack shit, that has nothing to do with this topic at all, while I was mentioning MS's history as a basis for warranted scepticism.

You clearly haven't gamed on PC for years to know MS's previous history with what they've done to that platform over the years, from the GFWL to the UWP and so on. I actually have legit reason to be sceptical about the future, because I've little to trust when it comes to any of the big 3 and MS happens to be the biggest one for me to watch, because guess what?, my library consists of games that run with Windows, clients and all.

People on here were already worried about physical going the way of the dodo, you don't think others can think the same if everyone just adopted GP as their defacto model, replacing the choice to buy digital goods to your HD when you could just "rent" them?.

I know you think that's entirely unfounded, but that's because no one sane enough wants that to become the reality, and it is honestly the one reality that a lot of companies would like, because it would greatly benefit them to have more control and for goods to be rented, instead of bought/refunded.

I'm not fearmongering bucko, I'm insulted you would stoop that low to compare to me one who would start a sodding world war, and you're supposed to be in your fucking 40's...

Come off it man, learn to look at history and learn from it, instead of claiming it'll never happen again, because boy did you not learn from that. 

Chazore said:

Mate, you compared me to one who would start a world war without question

Nobody compared you with anything, talking about idealogy, fearmongering and how baseless fear affected us in history (like starting wars) is not about you, just get over it.

Also, I'm a PC gamer mainly, probably spending more than 4 hours per day playing on my PC, versus maybe 8 hours per week on my consoles. Who keeps calling me things, pretend that people "like me" are doing/saying things, assume that I'm not a PC gamer cause of... my avatar?... then you looked at my age, I mean da fuck is wrong with you lol 

Again, stop playing the victim, I'm not judging or telling you what you are or pretend to know what you think/know/play/do... I don't care, I'm just responding to the things you wrote and react to that, and only that. I'm not also trying to tell you what is right or wrong (like calling saying that it is insane to want physical ditched,, etc.... Hell, you have strong oppinions about other people when they do not think like you, that's for sure...)

w/e, keep blablering now. Not going to derail this thread anymore. Said, I would stop responding and I should have.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 25 January 2022

Imaginedvl said:

Nobody compared you with anything, talking about idealogy, fearmongering and how baseless fear affected us in history (like starting wars) is not about you, just get over it.

Also, I'm a PC gamer mainly, probably spending more than 4 hours per day playing on my PC, versus maybe 8 hours per week on my consoles. Who keeps calling me things, pretend that people "like me" are doing/saying things, assume that I'm not a PC gamer cause of... my avatar?... then you looked at my age, I mean da fuck is wrong with you lol

Again, stop playing the victim, I'm not judging or telling you what you are or pretend to know what you think/know/play/do... I don't care, I'm just responding to the things you wrote and react to that, and only that.

w/e, keep blablering now. Not going to derail this thread anymore. Said, I would stop responding and I should have.

Ahh, so you're not done talking, you were just trying to save face, gotcha.

Yes, you did say I was like those that would start world wars, based on "fear mongering", not looking back at history and watching for patterns that may emerge of someone acting up to what they previously acted on before...

You need to get over comparing me to someone who would start a war over fear mongering, and instead just accept that someone doesn't like MS as much as you seem to, that you would defend them without question (because let's be frank while we're here, you have been doing that for a long time now).

You're a PC gamer, yet you hardly talk and discuss in the main thread, let alone subsequent other PC threads anywhere as much as say, Yuri and even basil's come back and is joining in the main thread as well as others related to PC, so where are you at "PC gamer"?. 

You certainly don't come off in any way as one, so I've little reason to believe it as such, and since your actions on here aren't proving all that much, besides your off-site apparent time spent, I've just little to go on that you're a PC gamer. On here you come off a lot more of an Xbox gamer, avatar, talk of MS (even in the positive light and defence), etc.

Mate you were judging me based on fuck all and wanted to label me a fear mongerer, as someone not to be believed, and you think I'm going to take that sitting down?. You clearly do not know me, and for someone your age, you don't know any better either. 

You want it to stop, you should try it first, because you claimed you were going to, and yet here we are. 

How about you never respond to me again?. I'd very much love that. I'd give anything for this site to have a a full on block, so then I don't have to see 40 yr olds thinking they know any better, while pissing in the wind to history itself.