By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - French Hardware Sales for 2021

Seeing what the PS4 and Xbox One sold in 2014 really shows how much harm the shortages are having. The PS5 sold 30% less and the Xbox Series about 25% less than their predecessors in 2021. Also I wonder how close to 10m the Switch will get to.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Farsala said:

Switch should smoothly pass the PS4.

Unless, and here me out, and read me out, unless, and it hurts me to say that, unless, wait for it, something happens, such as, and don't panic, here me out, maybe, just maybe, a cliff.

No no no, not just a cliff, the floor will vanish from beneath the Switch instantly. BOOM! Gone...

12mil for DS is mighty impressive. How much did the second best sellling console sell?

Norion said:

Seeing what the PS4 and Xbox One sold in 2014 really shows how much harm the shortages are having. The PS5 sold 30% less and the Xbox Series about 25% less than their predecessors in 2021. Also I wonder how close to 10m the Switch will get to.

I feel like all 3 console makers are prioritizing the US over all other markets. It’s kind of a shame 

aTokenYeti said:
Norion said:

I feel like all 3 console makers are prioritizing the US over all other markets. It’s kind of a shame 

Nintendo still gives Japan high focus but yeah for the other two that seems to be increasingly the case.

Around the Network
Norion said:
aTokenYeti said:

Nintendo still gives Japan high focus but yeah for the other two that seems to be increasingly the case.

Probably because the USA is the least brand loyal. The start of a gen is a crucial time to establish your base. A lot of friend groups will all get the same console so they can play each other online so if the manufacturer can capture the early adopter in the group that will equate to more sales later on. Momentum is everything in the North American market since brand loyalty is so low.

psychicscubadiver said:
Norion said:

Probably because the USA is the least brand loyal. The start of a gen is a crucial time to establish your base. A lot of friend groups will all get the same console so they can play each other online so if the manufacturer can capture the early adopter in the group that will equate to more sales later on. Momentum is everything in the North American market since brand loyalty is so low.

I remember reading somewhere that US customers are more likely than customers in other countries to buy subscription services and that they have a higher software attach rate. Not sure how true that is but it might also explain the US emphasis 

psychicscubadiver said:
Norion said:

Good point. While crossplay is weakening the friend group part overtime it's still a large factor so making sure to build up a good base early in a market as big and as willing to spend money as the US is the smart business decision. The PS5 will still enter the top 5 best selling consoles of all time in Europe regardless of a slower start than last time and Europe is getting enough PS5's though I do think not enough are being sent to Japan so the balance isn't quite right.

you gotta see it like this 33% returnrate due to joycon drift so thats 4 million really

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SKMBlake said:

https://ludostrie.com/ventes-de-consoles-en-france-en-2021/

Switch: 1 231 000

PS5: 600 000

Xbox Series: 214 000

PS4: 90 000

Total:

Swtich: 6 000 000

PS5: 765 000

Xbox Series: 300 000

PS4: 6 100 000

It is also said that the Wii was at 6 million at the end of its lifetime, while the all time record is the DS with 12 million

6.4m actually!

DS has sold 10.59m, the source probably confuses UK sales with France https://www.leparisien.fr/economie/business/nintendo-france-la-console-de-jeux-a-encore-de-beaux-jours-devant-elle-18-04-2016-5723625.php#xtref=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FGMOVm1M2bN

3DS is at 5.53m as of 2018 (with 254k sold in that year, 50% down yoy). https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-sales-in-france-in-2018-nintendo-switch-games-nintendo-3ds/

Last edited by tak13 - on 15 January 2022