By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami is celebrating Castlevania's 35th anniversary with NFT's.......

Hiku said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I'm actually rather shocked at how many companies/entities are "suddenly" jumping on board NFTs. It's a bit shocking considering general public reception is always lukewarm or worse and it makes me wonder who (behind the scenes?) is really pushing this...

Game companies often seem out of touch with what the community thinks. Though you'd think they would see a lot of negative headlines regardless.

The massive $$ they see blind them.

Around the Network

Yeah could see this coming. From killing their franchises and going deep with pachinko machines, to NFT's - at no one's surprise. I wish someone would straight up buy their IP's from them.

I've been reading about NFTs for six months now. Give or take. It's really taken off in the past month though.

They just seem terrible compared to what their original purpose was supposed to be and they're awful for the environment considering the power used.

Why are people getting behind this garbage?

SnesTea said:

I've been reading about NFTs for six months now. Give or take. It's really taken off in the past month though.

They just seem terrible compared to what their original purpose was supposed to be and they're awful for the environment considering the power used.

Why are people getting behind this garbage?

There must be some push somewhere from the cryptobros. Afraid blockchain is losing interest / getting under fire for environmental concerns. So new ways are needed to keep the pyramid scheme building.

Kinda scummy you can't look further back than 30 days, Bitcoin was at 65K a coin last summer, down to 42K currently.
https://www.blockchain.com/explorer?view=btc
The problem with mining is that the rewards are drying up, complexity keeps increasing, thus transaction costs and/or volume need to keep going up to keep the balance.

Check this page out as well for a good WTF moment
https://www.blockchain.com/nfts
Most seem to be tied to Ethereum which is also losing momentum.

I wouldn't call Sega as NFT free yet
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-08-sega-stalls-nft-plans-following-negative-reactions-from-players

"We need to carefully assess many things such as how we can mitigate the negative elements, how much we can introduce this within the Japanese regulation, what will be accepted and what will not be by the users.

"Then, we will consider this further if this leads to our mission 'Constantly Creating, Forever Captivating', but if it is perceived as simple money-making, I would like to make a decision not to proceed."

Sounds like they won't do it if too much backlash, thus keep up the pressure.

Hiku said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I'm actually rather shocked at how many companies/entities are "suddenly" jumping on board NFTs. It's a bit shocking considering general public reception is always lukewarm or worse and it makes me wonder who (behind the scenes?) is really pushing this...

Game companies often seem out of touch with what the community thinks. Though you'd think they would see a lot of negative headlines regardless.

The problem is, "the community" is a small but passionate minority. A lot of stuff that we rail against, at least a handful of gaming companies are making big bucks on. What is Tencent going to do with NFTs, for instance?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Hiku said:

The massive $$ they see blind them.

Here's the thing though: where did that massive $$$ thing start?  It's not like companies are known for investing in blue ocean concepts (that's mostly Nintendo, for better or worse).  The data had to be somewhere, and I just don't get where this massive influx of money is coming from that is getting so many companies on board with it...

I've been VERY tempted to do a video on this and take some time digging around, but then I'm like, "doesn't that just make more publicity for it", and yet here I am still pondering the whole damned thing lmao

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

Here's the thing though: where did that massive $$$ thing start?  It's not like companies are known for investing in blue ocean concepts (that's mostly Nintendo, for better or worse).  The data had to be somewhere, and I just don't get where this massive influx of money is coming from that is getting so many companies on board with it...

I've been VERY tempted to do a video on this and take some time digging around, but then I'm like, "doesn't that just make more publicity for it", and yet here I am still pondering the whole damned thing lmao

I'm scratching my head as well. Maybe they want to replicate the success of Skylanders/Lego figures/Amiibos in digital form. Maybe they want to replicate the success of auctioning of movie / tv show props (is it successful, don't know) in digital form.

You used to get concept art, 3D models etc with games (Tlou2 has an amazing art gallery included). Perhaps someone convinced them all that stuff is worth a lot of money in NFT form. Like selling movie cells from animated movies.

Maybe it's the push against and regulation of loot boxes that's behind this shift to NFTs. An alternative way to catch the whales.

The success of selling expensive ships by Star Citizen did not go unnoticed either. Perhaps this is an attempt to tap into that 'collectors' market.

Fact is, blockchain has been losing momentum. Transaction volume last peaked on April 30 2019 at 440K transactions that day. Since then it's been generally going down to 265K transactions a day currently. And it had a low of 172K on July 3rd last year. To me it seems, this NFT push is to put life back in to the pyramid scheme. The big players must be lobbying to get NFTs in wide circulation.

SvennoJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I'm scratching my head as well. Maybe they want to replicate the success of Skylanders/Lego figures/Amiibos in digital form. Maybe they want to replicate the success of auctioning of movie / tv show props (is it successful, don't know) in digital form.

You used to get concept art, 3D models etc with games (Tlou2 has an amazing art gallery included). Perhaps someone convinced them all that stuff is worth a lot of money in NFT form. Like selling movie cells from animated movies.

Maybe it's the push against and regulation of loot boxes that's behind this shift to NFTs. An alternative way to catch the whales.

The success of selling expensive ships by Star Citizen did not go unnoticed either. Perhaps this is an attempt to tap into that 'collectors' market.

Fact is, blockchain has been losing momentum. Transaction volume last peaked on April 30 2019 at 440K transactions that day. Since then it's been generally going down to 265K transactions a day currently. And it had a low of 172K on July 3rd last year. To me it seems, this NFT push is to put life back in to the pyramid scheme. The big players must be lobbying to get NFTs in wide circulation.

For as much as its losing momentum, many people figure out ways to profit off of it.  Sometimes, I just wonder if I'm the old fogey... lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

For as much as its losing momentum, many people figure out ways to profit off of it.  Sometimes, I just wonder if I'm the old fogey... lol

It's mostly based on FOMO. The people that profit from it use FOMO as a tool to keep the pyramid scheme going.

You're on you tube, you're not that old :p Of course tik tok is where it's at nowadays... Unless that's old news already again. I can't keep up.

ahhh... nothing like milking its most loyal fans on the 35th anniversary. Good one Konami.