By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Days Gone vs Ghost of Tsushima, sales vs expectations of Sony

eh, good for them I guess, or not, i dunno. Days Gone was hella boring, generic, and uninspired. Game is better off with no sequel.

Around the Network
TheTitaniumNub said:

eh, good for them I guess, or not, i dunno. Days Gone was hella boring, generic, and uninspired. Game is better off with no sequel.

Disagree with your opinion on the game =p but agree with no need for sequel.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:

We live in a stupid era of gaming. On one hand, 800K of SMTV is a massive success. 8 million of this game is a failure to Sony. While this is more of a reason why I think Meta is a cancer and should be abolished. (tho DG seemed like the most mediocre generic game out there) but Meta is more harmful than anything. A lot of good games suffer in sales because of a stupid number. Then we have other AAA devs saying certain games that sold in the millions were a sales failure.

Kill Metacritic as it's a useless site.
Publishers need to not dump so much money into one game. How we get Anthems and Avengers. Put some of that into smaller projects and then 1 million will be a success. Not saying you can't have larger projects but they don't need the inflated budgets they often do have.

Noooo. We here on a sales site should know better.

Development cost: SMTV did not cost anywhere near as much as Days Gone. A game that took 2 years to development a sells 1.5mill is great. A game that took 5 years to make and only sells 3mill ... eh. Even if its profitable I'm more was expected for a game eating that much time and money up.

Time to make back cost/reach: SMT4 a niche game, came out in 2013 and it was announced in summer 2015 that game hit 600k. SMTV5 still a niche game, did that and more in 2 months. Days Gone, based on the popular game elements(open world, zombies) was most likely expected to do its numbers now much sooner than it actually did not counting any discounts.

Reminds of me Mega Man ZX: Advent - Keiji Inafune made public announcement stating that in order for the ZX series to continue, Advent needed to sell 100k copies and it did, sooo what where's the sequel? He meant it needed to be done before CAP's next final report. There was specific time period.

ironmanDX said:

8 million should be enough for a sequel tbh. That's one hell of a playerbase. Even if half bought it at full or near full price for the sequel...

I'm sure at the time of launch it may not have seemed like a good idea but damn...

Imagine not releasing a new mass effect because of andromeda?

Yes imagine sony doing what EA did and 

"Mass Effect Andromeda studio BioWare Montreal will be absorbed by EA Motive"

Instead the old guard left because they are not happy and the new guard gets to prove themselfs with a brand new IP and not the "son " of that old guard..

People complain there is too much sequels

People bitch they want new ips

People bitch that quality is more important than sales

People bitch a game sold great and metacritic and reviews are the reason a company does not make a sequel...

And lets not mention the usual people with agendas trying to make sony look bad in this like they do in other situations. We dont even know the reason and all the facts, we have two ex employers talking their version.

I swear if they made a sequel instead the same people would say that sony only thinks about money and no one asked for a sequel.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
ironmanDX said:

8 million should be enough for a sequel tbh. That's one hell of a playerbase. Even if half bought it at full or near full price for the sequel...

I'm sure at the time of launch it may not have seemed like a good idea but damn...

Imagine not releasing a new mass effect because of andromeda?

Yes imagine sony doing what EA did and 

"Mass Effect Andromeda studio BioWare Montreal will be absorbed by EA Motive"

Instead the old guard left because they are not happy and the new guard gets to prove themselfs with a brand new IP and not the "son " of that old guard..

People complain there is too much sequels

People bitch they want new ips

People bitch that quality is more important than sales

People bitch a game sold great and metacritic and reviews are the reason a company does not make a sequel...

And lets not mention the usual people with agendas trying to make sony look bad in this like they do in other situations. We dont even know the reason and all the facts, we have two ex employers talking their version.

I swear if they made a sequel instead the same people would say that sony only thinks about money and no one asked for a sequel.

People love to complain, and sure there are plenty that will do it only to driven their agenda.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:

First, SIE management had no decision in DG2, now we know the 8 million sales figure is based on random estimate plays and not official sales data.

Yeah... Trophy data includes stuff like rentals and borrowed physical copies.

The actual number shipped must be far less than Ghost of Tsushima.

Farsala said:
twintail said:

First, SIE management had no decision in DG2, now we know the 8 million sales figure is based on random estimate plays and not official sales data.