By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG recommendations?

You gotta start with the Final Fantasy games if you haven't played them yet.  The best ones are 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 12.  These games kind of set the standard that all other JRPGs are based on.  

After the Final Fantasy games, I'd say Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest 11 are good Switch games to try out.  The Dark Souls games have a very different vibe, but are also extremely excellent JRPGs.  There is also Final Fantasy 14, which is an MMO, but it is redonkulously popular right now.

Around the Network

Thank you for all the recommendations! It definitely seems like Final Fantasy is a good place to start and I'll work my way from there :)

I got a lot of advertisements on Steam's Winter Sale for Scarlet Nexus. Is that any good? I did see Tales of Arise won Best RPG at the Game Awards this year, so I'm also thinking of giving that a shot since both are made by Bandai Namco, although combat for both games look very similar lol

gtotheunit91 said:

Thank you for all the recommendations! It definitely seems like Final Fantasy is a good place to start and I'll work my way from there :)

I got a lot of advertisements on Steam's Winter Sale for Scarlet Nexus. Is that any good? I did see Tales of Arise won Best RPG at the Game Awards this year, so I'm also thinking of giving that a shot since both are made by Bandai Namco, although combat for both games look very similar lol

Since you pick the right franchise to start, which kinds of RPG are you looking for? Turn Based, Strategic, MMO ou Action-RPG? I think a positive thing about FF is they offer vast gameplay options compared to other franchises

Also, do you mind older graphics from 90's SNES games? If not, what about PS2 or PS3 games?

IcaroRibeiro said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Since you pick the right franchise to start, which kinds of RPG are you looking for? Turn Based, Strategic, MMO ou Action-RPG? I think a positive thing about FF is they offer vast gameplay options compared to other franchises

Also, do you mind older graphics from 90's SNES games? If not, what about PS2 or PS3 games?

That's a really good point! FF really does have gameplay styles for every taste. I'm really big on Action-RPG and Turn Based mostly. Somewhat on strategic which I guess games like Fire Emblem tread that Turn Based/Strategic fine line. MMO's not so much. Mainly because time is something I lack nowadays, new dad :), so I'm not big on time syncs anymore. Which I've heard only GREAT things about FF14! 

I don't mind older games from any generation at all! As long as they've aged well lol I've played some games that I had great memories of, but when I try to play today, it's borderline unplayable lol

I couldn’t recommend Scarlet Nexus without playing the demo first. It didn’t appeal to me, but you might enjoy the concept more.

Around the Network

Skies of Arcadia, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger would be my recommendations in addition to some of the Final Fantasy games that have been mentioned if you want to start off playing the best of the best JRPGs available. I don't think that there are "official" ways to play the first two on the PC or Switch right now...

Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts for ARPG goodness.

Final Fantasy IX and Persona 4 Golden for a more traditional turn based JRPG. And if you have a PS4/5 have a look at Persona 5.

Last edited by hinch - on 05 January 2022

hinch said:

Final Fantasy IX and Persona 4 Golden for a more traditional turn based JRPG. And if you have a PS4/5 have a look at Persona 5.

But the only way to play Kingdom Hearts on PC is to betray Gabe.

My disc broke so I ended up asking the Skies of Arcadia Community discord for help with getting it running on PC.

Dulfite said:
hinch said:

But the only way to play Kingdom Hearts on PC is to betray Gabe.

I'm sure Gaben will be fine with his 4 Ferrari's.

Seriously though if people haven't played the first game before I'd recommend. Especially if you like action games and RPG's. But maybe just stick to the first one.