By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Tracking Spider-Man: No Way Home's domestic box office (#2 all-time opening weekend!)

What will No Way Home gross lifetime domestically?

Less than $500M 1 3.13%

$500-549M 2 6.25%

$550-599M 2 6.25%

$600-649M 4 12.50%

$650-699M 5 15.63%

$700-749M 3 9.38%

$750-799M 3 9.38%

$800M or greater 12 37.50%

Total:32
PAOerfulone said:

Just passed Avatar.

Awesome!

Around the Network

Still in the top ten domestically which is pretty impressive since you can already get it digitally now.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Well, we're three months (13 weeks) in, and No Way Home is still making decent money. It has had surprisingly strong legs. Looks like I was wrong about it falling just short of $800M. As of Thursday night, it was sitting at $794,343,553, making another $6.1M in Week 13, about flat from Week 12. It should pass the $800M mark some time during Week 15. Right now, it's entirely possible that it could get to $810-815M, maybe even $820M. It depends on how much its release to home video affects its box office returns in the coming weeks.

With $116.42M grossed from Week 5 through Week 13, it now has the third-highest post-Week 4 gross of any major 21st century blockbuster, just slightly ahead of previous #3-ranked The Force Awakens and just a few million behind the current #2 Black Panther.

The #1 spot will probably forever be held by Avatar, which had an adjusted post-Week 4 gross of over $336M. Since sequels are almost always more front-loaded than their original, Avatar 2, etc., even if they do extremely well, likely won't have the legs of the original. Back to Spider-Man, its only a matter of days before it surpasses Black Panther's post-Week 4 gross. Assuming it gets to at least $810M, its gross from Week 5 to the end of its run should be at least $132M.

However, it is worth pointing out that No Way Home made less money in both January and February than Jumanji did in Jan. & Feb. 2018, this despite having the second-largest gross for the month of December of any film ever. Based on remarks made several years back by one of our board's more astute box office analysts, Jumanji's legs, both in nominal and relative terms, are the bar all other December blockbusters must be measured against. So, by those standards, that means No Way Home was actually a bit of a disappointment. :p

Moving along...

In terms of percentage of lifetime gross from Week 5 onward, No Way Home is not especially impressive, being well within the norm for a major blockbuster. That percentage does continue to creep upward with each passing week, but once it's all said and done its post-Week 4 gross should represent a share of its lifetime gross comparable to Black Panther, The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and Spider-Man '02, which in turn had their post-Week 4 shares not be drastically higher than most other big blockbusters. The normal share for post-Week 4 grosses is about 10-15% of the lifetime share, though exceptions exist (e.g., Avatar, Endgame). What put No Way Home's post-Week 4 gross ahead of everything except Avatar was its absolutely monster opening month. After that, all it needed were relatively normal legs to ensure strong numbers past its first month in theaters.

I will update the woefully out of date charts in the OP soon. If not today, then maybe tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Charts in OP updated through Week 8. I'll add some more charts once the film is done running in theaters.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 19 March 2022

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Based on weekend estimates, No Way Home has passed the $800M mark domestically. Even after adjusting for inflation, only a handful of films released in the past 50 years have passed that milestone. Kudos to the 31% in the poll who predicted it would pass this monumental milestone. This weekend also nudged NWH's post-Week 4 gross past that of Black Panther, giving it the second-largest such gross for a 21st century film, surpassed only by Avatar.

Now that the last big milestone it can pass is out of the way, the next and final time I update this thread will be the last week of tracking for the film, whenever that might be.

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

pitzy272 said:

Spidey’s finally back! Hasn’t seen this success since the original trilogy. Can’t wait to see it!

Yes, Spiderman comeback from the Andrew Garfield era with the newer trilogy is just beautiful!

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

I rented an entire theatre last week so I could finally see it lmao. I refuse to rent a digital home movies as the quality is always shit and the 4K blu ray is taking forever to get released. This movie was amazing, I loved everything about it! So happy to see it do so well.

RetroGamer94 said:

I rented an entire theatre last week so I could finally see it lmao. I refuse to rent a digital home movies as the quality is always shit and the 4K blu ray is taking forever to get released. This movie was amazing, I loved everything about it! So happy to see it do so well.

It comes out on Blu-ray in two weeks. I'm gonna try to get to Best Buy as early as possible to get a steelbook copy.

BTW, how much does it cost to rent an entire theater to see a movie?

Shadow1980 said:
RetroGamer94 said:

It comes out on Blu-ray in two weeks. I'm gonna try to get to Best Buy as early as possible to get a steelbook copy.

BTW, how much does it cost to rent an entire theater to see a movie?

I have pre ordered on Amazon, but it doesn’t come with the steel book. It wasn’t that bad, it was $450 Canadian, I had 5 people with me, we all got popcorn and a drink included, we all have immune disorders so we’ve been only with each other for the last 2 years. 

darkenergy said:

I will say its domestic box office will be above $800 million.

Looks like I guess correctly, but the legs for NWH surprise me, even I thought it wouldn't get to $800 million base on its second weekend numbers. It was not until I posted my last comment on this thread that I think it reaching $800 million would happen if it rereleases in theater (which btw hasn't happened yet).

Proud to be a Californian.

darkenergy said:
darkenergy said:

I will say its domestic box office will be above $800 million.

Looks like I guess correctly, but the legs for NWH surprise me, even I thought it wouldn't get to $800 million base on its second weekend numbers. It was not until I posted my last comment on this thread that I think it reaching $800 million would happen if it rereleases in theater (which btw hasn't happened yet).

Its officially over 800 million domestically now (actually closer to 800.6).