By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 50, 2021 - (6th Dec - 12th Dec)

Wow, Switch pulled another 30/30.  I thought for sure Demon Slayer (PS4) would keep it from happening this week.  I think this makes three times this year so far.

Around the Network

Animal Crossing: New Leaf/Welcome Amiibo on 3DS had the longest streak with 264 weeks in famitsu top 30. Mario Kart 8 DX seems likely to overtake it unless something very unexpected crashes sales.

Also someone mentioned Momotaro’s evergreen status. It holds the record for most weeks consecutively on top of the Japanese physical charts at 11 weeks.

Kneetos said:
abronn627 said:

I know we use the low stock argument a lot, but at some point, you need ask the question: what is Sony’s strategy at this point ?

Their strategy seems to be

"People will wait to buy a ps5 in japan"

It will be interesting to see if the Japanese Market are really that patent with Sony or if they will just eventually give up

Nintendo better make sure they give the same amount of love to japan with their next gen system, or things could become very awkward very quickly

Maybe Sony will ramp things up when there's compelling SW as well. A next gen only MH or DQ game will still do well, and maybe that's when they ramp up the HW supply as well. 

Or they might know something we dont , about the Japanese gaming market. 

Another 30/30 seems likely for the next reported week with Dynasty Warriors still a week away.

If Dynasty Warriors slides fast then there could be another 30/30 straight after that.

Sony has a very strong February lineup.  Hopefully they can capitalise on it by actually giving Japan a decent share of stock after Christmas.

ireadtabloids said:
Kakadu18 said:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now has the longest top 30 streak at 242 weeks.

It has a shot at the all-time longest streak too.

I think one of the handheld Animal Crossing games is still ahead of it.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

All hardware is down this week except for X|S. In spite of that I think Switch has an even bigger market share than the week before. Also, most software in the top 10 is up WoW. I guess software sales are somewhat independent of hardware sales at this point.

Animal Crossing passes the impressive 7m mark for physical only. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best selling game of all time when digital is factored in. If it isn't there yet, then it will be there soon.

Animal Crossing is estimated to be around 9.8 million now including digital.  It would need to get over 10.2 million to challenge Pokémon Green, Red, Blue, Yellow on the gameboy, but it has a shot.

I've seen people claim that before, that New Leaf had a longer streak, but only if you mix Media Create and Famitsu data. It's wasn't in the Famitsu top 30 quite often while being in the Media Create top 30 because their numbers were slightly different. Then MC stopped sharing numbers and it stayed in the Famitsu top 30 a bit longer.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 December 2021

Around the Network

Oh I see.  Thank you!  I did not know the history behind it.  Going to make it all the more impressive when MK8DX overtakes it.

I just noticed Splatoon 2 has sold 4 million physical copies in Japan if all versions are included. I’ve been wondering if they would get there for the past four years.

AllfatherStarr said:
Kneetos said:

Their strategy seems to be

"People will wait to buy a ps5 in japan"

It will be interesting to see if the Japanese Market are really that patent with Sony or if they will just eventually give up

Nintendo better make sure they give the same amount of love to japan with their next gen system, or things could become very awkward very quickly

Maybe Sony will ramp things up when there's compelling SW as well. A next gen only MH or DQ game will still do well, and maybe that's when they ramp up the HW supply as well. 

Or they might know something we dont , about the Japanese gaming market. 

To be fair, Sony usually has a pretty weak holiday in Japan until week 52 or week 1 of the next year.

This year though is a straight travesty. Supply issues are reported to continue throughout 2022.

src said:
abronn627 said:

I know we use the low stock argument a lot, but at some point, you need ask the question: what is Sony’s strategy at this point ?

I don't think you understand what the words low stock means? Sony is selling everything they can produce atm. Its not going to improve till next FY where they expect to sell 23M.

Kakadu18 said:

From installbase I got some interesting info on an interview with Kondo from Falcom. They recently decided to start bringing their games to the Switch themselves and here's a quote:

Q 製品部門の売上が落ちていてã€Âãƒ—レステが振るわないためにã€Âã‚¹ã‚¤ãƒƒãƒÂã¸ã®ç§»æ¤Âã‚’始めるとのことだがã€Âãªãœã‚„や古いã€Å½é‚£ç”±å¤šã®è»Œè·¡ã€Âã‹ã‚‰å§‹ã‚るのか。なぜ看板タイトルのイースや軌跡シリーズではないのか。どのくらいの販売を見込んでいるのか.

Q: You said that you will start porting to the Switch because the sales of the product division are declining and Sony PlayStation is not performing well. Why are you starting with the slightly old "The Legend of Nayuta"? Why not a billboard title of the Ys or Trails series? How many sales do you expect?

近藤:最åˆÂã«ã€Å½é‚£ç”±å¤šã®è»Œè·¡ã€Âã‚’選んだのはライセンス部門との兼ね合い。最新作はライセンスで契約してしまっていてã€Âãã®å¾Œã«ã‚¹ã‚¤ãƒƒãƒÂå‚入を本格的に決めて動いたから。まず動かせるのがã€Å½é‚£ç”±å¤šã®è»Œè·¡ã€Âã ã£ãŸ

Kondo: The first choice was "The Legend of Nayuta" as a balance with the licensing department. The latest work has a license contract. After that, we decided to move into full-scale entries on the Switch. The first thing that could be moved was "The Legend of Nayuta."

近藤:スイッãƒÂç§»æ¤Âã¯ã€Å½é‚£ç”±å¤šã®è»Œè·¡ã€Âã§çµ‚わらせるつもりはなくã€Âå¾Œç¶šã®ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒˆãƒ«ã‚‚準備を始めている。目標の販売本数についてはã€Âå…·ä½“的な数については営業上の課題もあるのでここでは差し控えたい

Kondo: We don't intend to end Switch porting with "The Legend of Nayuta," and we're starting to prepare for subsequent titles. Regarding the target number of units sold, there are business challenges reporting specific numbers, so I would like to refrain from doing so here.

But this is the most interesting part:

近藤:現時点の原因はã€Âã‚¯ã‚ªãƒªãƒ†ã‚£ã‚‚もちろんあるとæ€Âã†ãŒã€ÂæŒ¯ã‚‹ã‚ãªã„PS市場や

Kondo: "I think the cause [of poor sales for Kuro] is, of course there is quality here, is the dull PlayStation market..."

Ahh yes, what a coincidence that the rest of the sentence was omitted

" the decrease in the number of print media in the process of publicizing the product, and inadequate PR activities may have been the causes. "

lmao so transparent

What is really clear here: Sony hardware sales is losing to Nintendo in every market right now.

The point of no return; the majority of people seem to believe is sony is fine, launching DQ and MH, and will be safe and ok. But this is true? The abysmal software sales on first-year aways make a roof on the sales of all videogames, Sony no an exception.

First-year is crucial for future sales, not determinant for all sales but set the potential sales of one console.

One game, likewise Pokemon or Animal Crossing or GTA, maybe turn the tides; a good system seller prevents some decrease, but when a brand has decreased for years, what is the impact for this brand?

What is the consequence for a brand in declined in one big region with all satellites market?